Am a bit nervous currently

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Am a bit nervous currently

Post by FyreGarnet » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:02 pm

I'm starting overnights tonight. I'm a little worried about the job itself. It's still with Michaels, but the overnight manager seems to be a real tight a**. No cell phones, no mp3 players, he is god....

Also, this means that my time with my fiance will be less and more difficult. We won't be able to sleep together except for maybe naps. While I'm at work, he'll be sleeping and while he's at work, I'll be sleeping. I will get to see him some in the mornings when he gets up and when I get home from work. This is only for three weeks, but that can be a long time without so much time with the one you love.

I'm just asking for a little help from you all. Maybe not even blessings but experiences that you've had with this. I know there are a lot of people who have done this for more than three weeks, maybe more than three years.

Thanks for reading and understanding.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:01 pm

I did nights permanently for 15 years. SOME times we got to work all day as well! (48 - 72 hour shifts, that is)

The thing to do is to try and get the same days off, and make the most of them.

If it's only a short period, then just grin and bear it. If it goes on longer, then you tend to find your own routine. You may be surprised at the possibilities you find to be together, and you tend to apprieciete those moments more too.

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:12 am

This is true. I came home this morning and crawled into his arms and it was just so glorious to finally be able to lie there with him and rest after a long night of overheating and exhausting work.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:10 am

My mum worked nights for years, but her rota was a little kinder than yours, she did four nights in, four nights off so that she could actually interact with people during the daylight hours :lol:

Even three weeks is a long time in a job that's difficult or you don't like, so just pace yourself and your partner should be supportive of you. On your days off make sure you make the most of them and even if you are a little grumpy from lack of sleep, know that this is only temporary and it will pass.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:01 pm

I don't really hate the work. It's stuff I've always done at the store, just a lot more of it and for longer hours. Plus the boss is a little demanding sometimes, but luckily I've been mostly off his radar because I've been working hard like usual. It's mostly the sleep deprivation that is getting me. It's slowly working to where I'm sleeping more during the day, but it's hard. I got off a little after 7 this morning and had an eye doctor's appointment at 9. I got there a little early and I feel asleep in the car, so I didn't make it into the office until 9:30. I told the doctor about that and he had a good laugh with me. Luckily they weren't mad at me for messing with their schedule too much.

I'm just keeping on though.
FyreGarnet

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:42 pm

Everyone has posted here with great advice, so I've kept my mouth shut.

However, I want to tell you that for years my mom worked shift work, 2 days 3 nights, 3 days off, 2 days, 3 nights, 3 days off, etc. There were so many times that she would come home and not know how she got there. We were terrified that she would crash on her way home.

SLEEP, GIRL! Get as much as you can! It's a hard transition from days to nights!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:01 am

Oh, I'm trying to get as much sleep as possible. Yesterday I got 5 hours of sleep. But it's hot here in the afternoon, and there's just so many things I want to do and it seems like I work, I sleep, then I go back to work.

Last night, I got hit on the nose by a cap shelf. Dang it sure hurts. And there was blood everywhere. And I'm tired, and emotional, cuz it's also real close to that time again. And I just came home to David still in bed, and crawled in with him, and just started crying. The worst part is, I don't even really know why I'm wanting to cry so much.

But anyway, the nightcrew boss told me I need to file a report about the accident. And today my bosses told me to just do it tomorrow or whatever. And I just kinda felt like everything else was more important than me. At least the night crew manager asked if I wanted to go to the emergency room. I didn't because we all know how much fun that would have been. Better to suffer a little bit of bleeding for a few minutes than to sit there for five hours watching everyone but me be taken care of at the hospital. Plus, I'm not sure they would have done anything anyway. It stopped bleeding on its own and it's just a little tender now.

Well, I'm off to go sleep with my honey for a bit. Maybe see if I can get more today than I have been.

FyreGarnet

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:02 am

Oh the tales that could be told of changing shifts are varied and many. I sympathize with you, truly I do - even about the crying for little to no reason.

I was in the Army for many years and they are famous, or is that infamous, about screwing around with your sleep schedules. During basic training there were times when I would be sound asleep while standing, and even MARCHING, in formation. I would usually wake up when I missed the command for a turn or stop and plowed into a guy in front of me.

I think the funniest time was in advanced training when during the first half of the school, theory, I was on night shift; then when they went to the hands-on portion I ended up on days. The whole first week I kept falling asleep, "eating pencils" as my head drooped down, even falling out of the chair. At the end of the week was the section test that I HAD to stay awake for. Here is how the morning went:

Woke Up
Had Two Vivarin {caffine tablets equal to a cup of strong coffee each}
Went to Breakfast, had 3 cups of coffee
Had two more Vivarin waiting for bus
Got to school had two Mountain Dews {Caffine and Sugar Soda}
Had two More Vivarin
:smt119 :smt103
I was awake for the test, but when I came out of it my heart beat was strong and irregular and I had a major case of the jitters and one hellacious let down later in the afternoon.
:smt120

One not so funny time was when I was seriously overdoing my schedule.

I was working nightshift, with overtime, at one place and also pulling a full college course load down {19 credit hour semester}. It wasn't planned, it just happened. So my day went pretty much like this:

Noon : wake up and get ready for the day
1pm - 2:30pm : do homework from previous day
2:30 - 3pm : get a meal and get ready to leave
3pm - 5pm : drive to school {night classes}
{I live in Southern California and YES traffic really is THAT bad!}
5pm - 6pm : finish any other work and get ready for class
6pm - 10pm : classes
10pm - 10:30pm : drive to work
{supposed to start at 10, but they excused me because of prescheduled classes}
10:30pm - 8am : work
8am - 9:30am : drive home and go to bed

After a month of this schedule 5 days a week and a day class on Sat afternoon I was completely fried. It was so bad that one time when I pulled off the highway to go get a cup of coffee, I zoned out and didn't stop in time before hitting a van stopped at the exit.

There is a funny part. The guys in the van weren't hurt, until the cops pulled up - then they started grabbing their necks and complaining. The cops weren't buying it for a second though.

Also when I was filling out the accident report, the cop noticed the cable knife and scissors in a sheath on my belt. He stepped to the side and told me to to not move. I looked over and he had his hand on his pistol and the safety flap was undone. So with him ready to draw, he "asked" me if I would mind him removing the knife from my belt. I had to laugh a little, the thing has a mere 1.5" blade, a heavy duty box cutter essentialy {this was back in 1999, before 9/11} Here's a pic:

I replied "No problem go right ahead" I almost asked him if he wanted to take the scissors too, because I could do more damage using them as a punch knife - but I held my tongue as he probably wouldn't have found it funny.

Anyway those are a couple of my stories. Just take what life deals you, and you'll live through it until circumstances change. They always do, just sometimes it takes longer than others. And of course always, always look for the humor in everything, it helps make the troubles bearable.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:33 pm

Here is my advice in addition to all here.
I've done the night shift thing before and how I got through it was getting an eye mask (for covering eyes when sleeping in the day). This simple little thing provided a more ample and fulfilling sleep.

The second thing I'd recomend is getting your mp3 player loaded with soft music (whatever you think is relaxing). Listen to it for about an hour before you'd like to sleep.

The third thing that I would suggest is the ole saying, "absence makes the heart grow fonder." A few weeks is not an eternity so, look at it as a mini vacation from each other. We all need personal space and perhaps this "absence" will provide it. Too much togetherness can also be bad for a relationship.

The fourth thing that I recomend (well, honestly, not entirely) is a good energy drink consumed about a half hour before your shift. Now, this worked for me and my body chemistry. Also, by "energy drink" I do not exclusively mean a harsh Monster drink. I could be a spot of tea or whatever gives you energy......even mentally. Say if you associate orange juice with "awake" time then drink it.

The final thing is a positive attitude. Really, this is simple. If you look at the positive aspect of things then it will make the time faster and less grulling.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:21 pm

I've just worked a 12hr shift today and I'm frazzled. :-? I'm thinking good thoughts for you and especially healing ones for your poor nose! If I ever hurt my nose I turn hot and then cold and then I can't move for about 20 minutes and I burst into tears! Kudos for staying focused!

Hey, whenever you get burnt out just think that you don't have to deal with totally stupid people every day like I do. I work in a petrol station (gas station to all you non-Europeans :D) and so many idiots pass through there every day. I've seen people smoking by the pumps, chatting away on their phones while trying to fill up, basically doing everything that the huge signs tell you not to do because they carry a very real risk of blowing you and everyone else around you up! I always take a look outside before authorising fuel pumps, but sometimes the people I work with in the kiosk don't bother, so I've looked up twice today to see someone filling their car with fuel while their partner is smoking in the car and the window is wide open! :evil: If people do want to blow themselves up, that's their look out, but I don't want to be endangered by someone else's screw up...especially when they're screwing up surrounded by warning signs!!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:22 pm

Oh trust me. I'm enjoying every moment of no customers and even not having to see some of the day crew. I always get the question from customers of "do you work here?" I just really want to say "no, I just like climbing on this ladder and looking in these boxes everyday." One of my coworkers said a woman and her son came to her and the woman asked that very question of my coworker. The son just shook his head and looked at the floor in disbelief.

Some people are just so stupid.

FyreGarnet

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:10 am

For some people though, they have to ask simply because they are that ... slow.

I've been walking around Best Buy {and electronics/household appliance store} during my lunch breaks and have had people come up to me and start asking me about a product or asking for a price or help, simply because I'm walking arount the store with a polo shirt with a logo and a name badge.

Of course the fact that my shirt is black with a Southern California Edison Logo and my badge also says Edison while the Best Buy employees have bright royal blue shirts with a large yellow Best Buy logo and entirely different style badges never seems to enter the equation. In fact it isn't until I tell them I don't work there do they actually even bother to look at the shirt, I can see their eyes look over at the logo.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:52 pm

Haha. That reminds me of the time that my dad got mistaken for a Target employee. They have to wear a red shirt and beige pants, and you can wear any style as long as it fits those two colors. Well my dad just happened to be wearing a red shirt and tan pants. He didn't have a name tag, but that didn't matter to the other customer.

Also, there are times when I'm shopping at my store with my mom, and customers will ask if I work there, even though I'm not wearing my apron. Our receiving manager had a theory that it is due to the way we walk. We are confident and usually walk with a certain amount of purpose. And we don't go looking for things so much as go straight to the items. I think she's right.

FyreGarnet

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:39 pm

Boo night shift, I am a firm believe in masks and earplugs (I like the wax ones better)

Good luck with it.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:56 pm

Yes, willow, but I'm afraid of dreaming about picking blueberries.... ;)

FyreGarnet