Long Man of Wilmington

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
katsu
Level 12
Level 12

Long Man of Wilmington

Post by katsu » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:45 am

Perhaps some of you have read about it. The long man had a makeover. 2 British fashion 'gurus' took about 100 women(and a few disguised men) over the Long Man and made him into a woman.

Apart from the damage they caused to the site as an Archaeological site, it is considered a sacred place for many Pagans.
There have been protests on site by quite a few Pagan Groups, including more than 3 Groves of Druids. Still they were allowed to continue.

We are now petitioning the British Government to have the broadcasting stopped.
I ask everyone here to sign, currently there are 124 signatures. You need to have an address in the UK, but I found out you can just use No 10, Downing Street ;)

You can find the petition here

(and for more info:

http://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news?articleid=2997769

and it was filmed by some of us:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aRygEvMfuCU )

Thank you all for taking the time,
Katsu
/|\

daybydayiwalkmyway
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daybydayiwalkmyway » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:40 pm

wow thats some bs...
If you want to become whole,
let yourself be partial.
If you want to become full,
let yourself be empty.
If you want to be reborn,
let yourself die.
If you want to be given everything,
give everything up.

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:34 pm

I watched the video in horror.
The druids were nothing but respectfully protesting and some bimbo said, "good bye you (insert word here)"

If we had dressed up Jesus in a dress and defiled him in such a manner it would have been stopped.

I'd like to sign a pettion but am barred from doing so. One has to be a British citizen to sign.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:31 pm

Lotus wrote: I'd like to sign a pettion but am barred from doing so. One has to be a British citizen to sign.
Just put your normal address and klick "Ex pat". It doesn't ask which generation "ex pat" you are. :-D

As this effects the world wide Pagan/Heathen community, you are not even bending the truth THAT far.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:22 am

Thanks Ragnar: Your trick worked.

I can't even comment coherantly on this act. They should all be jailed, fined, and given a good flogging.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:23 am

I can't believe this. I am appalled at this. I can't believe the arcialogical society never even came down to watch.

I'm going to sign, and I'm considering asking my family in Belize to sign (I noticed that they're on the list). The only reason I hesitate, is that they're born again Christians, and whenever our religion is mentioned still get this shadow over them that makes me think that they're still under the impression that we're going to hell! :roll:

What can you do but try, eh?
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:51 pm

I've signed, Heck if I had the transport I'd be there!
Who is "I" without a past? A river without a source? An event without a cause?

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:12 pm

They did WHAAATT???!!!

Seriously. They actually did that? How is that possible? I thought that screwing around with ANY archaeological site was grounds for public execution!
Oh thank god they didn't damage it. For a moment there I thought they had seriously changed it into a woman forever. I was all ready to go geurilla on their arses. So while I'm annoyed that it's damn disrespectful, I was a bit more annoyed a few seconds ago when I thought it was permanently the Long Woman.

Bloody Trinny and Suzanna! I've always hated those two interfering busybodies - how dare they presume to tell people what to wear? - so I can't boycott them, and I've already been boycotting them. It's strangely satisfying, through the anger, when someone you hate gives you yet another reason to hate them.

I shall now go and watch the video, and become yet more enraged.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:48 pm

these arn't my pics, they are off a different forum -

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/ ... ong%20Man/

*I would love to hit their heads of some very hard brick walls...
Who is "I" without a past? A river without a source? An event without a cause?

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:43 am

I am pretty ok with making jokes about the sacred, but I would never desecrate a church or a mosque. There is a difference between jokes and action and those people telling us to relax need their heads dunked.

What really ticks me off is that it is for some stupid TV show.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:59 am

Someone at the Archeological Society definately needs a wake-up call - like losing their job because of their indifference and incompetence.

The TV show hosts need to be dropped down a long well. Hey maybe they could do that next for ratings. And whichever one makes it up alive first could have the show to themselves.

I hope the TV station has got the message, there has not been one positive comment on any site carrying this story, not about the act, nor about the Society, nor about the hosts. If they have any sense they bury or burn the footage, and cancel the show.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:07 am

Hope is nice, but I'm more of a realist... I think that the tv show IF they bother to check at all, will simply see the amount of sites currently discussing their little controversy and say to themselves, "Wow, they must have done something really noteworthy... Give them a little more free reign, as it obviously gets results!"

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :evil:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:37 pm

I am so ANNOYED about this. If this site was Christian/Muslim/Sikh/Hindu there would be an outcry. Yet again it seems like we're being sidelined. Sums of money have probably changed hands because Sussex Archaeological Society gave permission for filming to go ahead and archaeological societies are not known for their generosity when it comes to their sites.
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men