Money and Job Worries

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Money and Job Worries

Post by Jescissa » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:58 am

I'm an incredibly poor student, I now have less than £100 to my name (that's about $200.) I've been trying to get work and raise money, but nothing is coming to me and I'm so worried because I have to pay for course books and things.

My place of work is unhelpful also. I've told them about my situation and when I am available and eager to work, but they haven't got back to me. I was also ill the last time they asked me to come in, so I'm worried they don't want me any more. The last thing I need is to lose my job before something else comes along.

Please send your blessings and good will as I try to find a new job! [-o<
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:57 am

Sending thoughts your way! [-o< =P~ [-o<
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Re: Money and Job Worries

Post by davisherm » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:57 pm

Jescissa wrote:I'm an incredibly poor student
I'm willing to bet you're actually a very good student. :-D

But I'll be pointing my thoughts in your direction tonight. Did you not qulify for student aid?
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Davisherm wrote:I'm willing to bet you're actually a very good student. :-D
:lol: I'm not bad, I'm passionate about my subject though so that makes up for all the hard work!
Davisherm wrote:Did you not qulify for student aid?
I get a student loan, but I have to pay for my tuition, buy my books and live off that grant too, so it doesn't last very long. It's also extra curricular things that take up my time and money, I don't live in halls of residence so getting into university to see my friends and get to know more people is expensive. It always costs more than just a bus ticket :-?

I do live at home with my parents, but the money I save by doing that goes straight out again on bus tickets to and from university (not to mention my beloved lives 2 hours away from me by train, so I'm usually the one going to see him and spending money on the train) :-?

:lol: Oh Jess, enough with the sob story!
"If you trust in yourself and believe in your dreams and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye." - Miss Tick, Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:02 pm

Been there, done that, had to pawn the t-shirt for food.

Blessings and prosperity to you. And believe me I totally understand, I am in year 7 of post secondary education and in debt up to my eyeballs.

That word Doctor in front of my name better count for something when I am done this whole caboodle!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Windwalker
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Windwalker » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 pm

Don't live just on noodles. You get scurvy.

Hope money comes your way soon! Being a poor student isn't fun at all. Curse those course books! That's my boozin' money!
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:58 pm

You'll be in my thoughts.

I was a student for a year. That in itself nearly killed me. I got a loan and for two, maybe three, months I was rich and living large. Then I realized that I really didn't have much to show for it. I was poor for the rest of the year. Silly me. I learned much from that.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:02 pm

Beannachta.... fehu raidho uriaz...

That said... take a look at any local "temporary agencies" and see if you can pick up part time work in an office if you have office skills, i.e. good typing, basic computer skills (MS Office Word/Excel/etc), filing isn't hard either, just common sense really and good manners covers phone skills for the most part.

Another thing you can look at is the resturant/bar scene, they often hire part time wait staff and you can often find flexible scheduling there.

Also look at advertisment businesses, small newspapers, places that hand out flyers, etc... they again often hire part-timers to hand out or deliver bundles to areas.

Just some thoughts that have helped others over the years.

Beannachta!
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:05 am

Thanks everyone, I'm picking myself up quickly :-D

I have an 'interview candle' that I've inscribed with the companies I've applied for jobs with to send out all my 'I would like an interview please' energy :lol:

I've also set up a seller account on Amazon and I've started listing books I've grown out of or don't need anymore. I keep all my books in good condition so I should get a good price for them :-D

Things are really picking up and I'm feeling really positive, so thank you to everyone who wished me well and offered advice!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:54 pm

Jescissa wrote: I do live at home with my parents, but the money I save by doing that goes straight out again on bus tickets to and from university (not to mention my beloved lives 2 hours away from me by train,
Ask the student union about the fairs claim back forms. Also consider changing your "home addres" to that of your boyfriends. You don't ACTUALY have to move in. But are they going to check??? :lol:

Thinking of you.

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:12 am

Thanks for all your thoughts...although I've been really shocked today. I went into work for the first time in ages, had a really good day and when the manager asked whether I can work the 18th (Mothering Sunday) I realised I couldn't because it's the same weekend as my uni field trip.

Before I left work to go home, the owner of the place I work took me into the office and basically said that if I go on this fieldtrip I won't have a job to come back to and I'm not being a team player! :cry: :cry:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:17 pm

I'm not being a team player!
TYPICAL bloody boss :censored: :censored:

Who does this :censored::censored: think he :censored: Is?

He DID know you were at Uni when he took you on?

Damn Mother :censored: piece of :censored::censored:

Give him a good kick in the :censored: bollocks. Then stab him in the left eye with a blunt B9 pencil, and wiggle it aroound in the hole.

I HATE :censored::censored::censored::censored: bosses. Total :censored::censored: ALL of them.

"Team work"! :smt097 :censored::censored: toss pot!

The :censored::censored: has probably been on a course ALL about it. Full of 20 year old :censored::censored::censored::censored: who don't know :censored::censored: about the REAL world.

:smt013 :gib: :angryfire: :rock: :smt097

Völker hört die Signale!
Auf zum letzten Gefecht!
Die Internationale
Erkämpft das Menschenrecht!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:15 am

Ditto.

Look at what your labour laws are. He can't fire you for something like that. Be a bigger man than him and ask for more specific criticism. If he has nothing then he is blowing smoke out his heiny.

Good luck and don't get down because of one idiot.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:18 am

If your boss doesn't get the fact that school has to be more important than work, then perhaps you'd be better off to find a new job. In any case, good luck with the situation! [-o<
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Jescissa
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Jescissa » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:12 am

Hey thanks guys :-D I'm definitely thinking this is a blessing, it's a clear sign things need to change. I thought yesterday I'd done something wrong and it was all crashing down on me, but today I'm a lot more positive!

The evil boss is a she, and she's weird. She went on at me and then offered me a lift home and was all nicey-nicey asking me about my course and stuff. I've loyally worked for her since I was 14 (I'm 21 now) and she's always been so encouraging with my studies but as soon as I'm not flexible enough for her I'm out! I'm definitely better off without that job.

I wanted to laugh when she brought up the team player remark. I've worked for her with 2 hours notice before now and if I'm ill and can't work, I've always given her 24 hours notice to arrange cover! Grr!