Going to see about a job Thursday

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed May 03, 2006 8:49 pm

Here's hoping some good luck comes your way. If you don't mind moving... Well, Calgary's in such a desperate need for People who can work, that it's almost impossible not to get a reasonable job if you're willing to look.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Thu May 04, 2006 6:29 am

Kitsune, not so sure how Canada handles non-Canadians for jobs but honestly, I have always loved Canada - was there a few times during early spring and fall and most of what I saw seemed so much fresher than here in the USA - perhaps because the cooler air makes everything seem crisp? Aye, if it wouldn't be such an immigration hassel I'd consider it...

We are thinking about a move anyway. We figured, at first, when we bought this house that we would never move again but... Ken's work is getting strange so we don't know if he'll be transfered or be looking for other work, plus, honestly, this neighborhood is turning out to be a nightmare.

I would feel so bad about leaving the many animals who've come to depend on me for the feeding station but I would not miss a lot of things and people. The crazy cat lady has become totally freaking WIERD since not working for so long (with her broken arm that won't heal) - it's like her mind has totally turned in on itself and she has become so clingy and does freaky things like give me a bag of old clothes with ciggarette burns all over them... like try to get me to take her with me on job interviews...

Then the other neighbors got another dog that barks non-stop and their now teenage daughter won't give me one minute of peace when I go outside - if she sees me, forget it, no way I can sit quietly under my pine tree with the birds perching near (or on) me while I crochet or read...

...and the little spoiled brat who had a mini-mini bike for two years that he drove up and down the street with all freaking day is now big enough that they bought him a full size LOUDER dirt bike...

OK, sorry, I sorta went off there :roll: But hey, yeah, Canada sounds pretty good to me ;)
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu May 04, 2006 9:23 am

COME TO CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would be pretty cool actually, but yeah Alberta is in need of workers. If you have a Job lined up already immigration isn't such a hassle. You can always check.

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/Intro_en.asp

Working for the government in Canada is a sweet deal, good pay, good benefits and every statutory holiday off as well as secure hours.

If you can get used to the weather (I think Calgary has it harder than either CHL or I) and the metric system it is a great place to live and work.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu May 04, 2006 5:03 pm

YES! Come to Canada!!!

And celebrate with maple syrup, maple liquor, maple candies, doughnuts (not donuts), and good ol' Canadian Alberta (or BC) Beef. ^___^

America drains us of our best doctors and nurses and teachers. We will drain them of all their best Pagans and Witch Doctors. =D>
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Thu May 04, 2006 6:01 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote: America drains us of our best doctors and nurses and teachers. We will drain them of all their best Pagans and Witch Doctors. =D>
ROFLMAO - I never know what you'll say next - this had me rolling. After a long day at the dye pot I needed that.

AND YES, I was very careful today, especially since today was "greens" day :lol:

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu May 04, 2006 7:41 pm

OO!

Green and red hair go very well together. You could get rid of the pink (which looks really good anyway), and walk around Irish ^_^

Out of curiosity... I am a big crochet fan, and would like to get into dyeing fabrics and wools (with natural materials... No hot pink hair/wool for me!). Think you could post some pics of your work with the dye and what you do with it? If not tis okay ^_^
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Fri May 05, 2006 1:55 am

Will try to get some pics of finished yarn for you to see once it's spun, set and dried - rather than just piles of drying dyed wool lol.

As for only using "natural" dyes - there are a lot of them but few will give you really vibrant results and the one's that will are just as toxic as "unnatural" dyes, some even more so - such as malachite green and cobalt blue.

Believe it or not you can get lovely, washfast, colorfast, lightfast dyes from Koolaid and, my personal favorite, Wilton's food coloring in the little bottles. You just use them with some white vinegar, bit of salt, water and if you are careful with it, some synthropol (an industrial soap). The synthropol is only dangerous in that it is super concentrated surfacent so you need to wear rubber gloves, but it does rinse right out and I've never had any problems with it despite my chemical sensitivities. What it does is remove any tiny traces of grease or dirt left on the wool that would keep the dye from penetrating.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri May 05, 2006 8:54 am

I think I like the washed-out look of natural dyes, but wouldn't mind using the professional stuff every once in a while.

I could deal with heavy-duty soap, I think, as my soapwort won't really do the trick on that... :lol:

Yahoo can't wait for pics!
Crazy Healer Lady

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Fri May 05, 2006 1:19 pm

*groans* this is why I hate people sometimes. The whole point of having your own home is to have some privacy in your own back yard. :evil:

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sat May 06, 2006 12:45 pm

Kool Aid??? I never would have thought... Although I should have. I mean, I remember getting the powder on my fingers and it not washing out. I never thought about it before.

And yes, all of Canada is great. I don't remember BC, but I've been told it's great. Saskatchewan is fine so long as you don't mind flat land in all directions. Yeah, I like Alberta. Considering moving to BC though.

And yes, it will take you years to get used to Calgary Weather. Apparently there are only 5 places in the world like Calgary. One of them is in Germany I think, another in California. Anyways though, the weather can honestly change so fast that we can get snow in the middle of July. We tend to have a full blizzard every 40 years in August, our hottest month. The weather network can't keep up! But so long as you don't mind keeping track of it, it's deal-able.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sat May 06, 2006 7:11 pm

A blizzard in august, I always thought that was a myth? Crazy. On another note, have you ever tired charityvillage.com? they are always looking for computer savvy people to work in various charities.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)