Going to see about a job Thursday

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
Stormy

Going to see about a job Thursday

Post by Stormy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:54 pm

Hi all - going tomorrow to try to get a job. It's the first one that's come along that is close enough to home to make it worth the gas money and of a schedule that works with my husband's schedule. Not exactly a glamour job - it's as a cook at Long John Silvers - but hey, beggars can't be choosers and I REALLY NEED a job right now for a large number of reasons...

...hubby needs a ton of expensive dental work and we have no dental insurance

...plumbing needs replaced in the basement before it breaks

...I need to get a job so I can get out of the house and quit feeling like a bum ;)

... so any postive thoughts you can spare for me tomorrow would be most appreciated!
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:08 pm

Good luck. I send you whatever I can.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:36 pm

Definitely sending you some good job-getting vibes as I'm still looking for one myself. [-o<
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:15 am

Good luck :-D
and
blessings [-o<

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:22 am

Good luck honey!! *crosses fingers, toes, arms and legs for you*

Blessings! :hug:
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:19 am

Well... you folks are NOT going to believe this one...

First, when I drive up, they have a big new sign saying they are hiring shift managers. So I figure that's the job I'm going for as I have experience.

Now, I got there a bit before they opened, saw one of the workers (a younger girl) go in, I also saw the manager come out and move her car to the back. So I wait until a few minutes after they are supposed to open and go to the door - which is still locked. Well, says I, perhaps they just are running a few minutes behind. So I stand there and wait a few minutes and all of a sudden I hear this banging on the window near me.

I turn, look around the corner into the window, and sitting right under the sign that says "open 10:30 to 11:00" is the girl I saw go in. And she yells through the window "WE AREN'T OPEN!" and I point to the sign and she says in a really nasty voice "I TOLD YOU! WE AREN'T OPEN!!!!!" and so I asked her "WHEN DO YOU OPEN?!?!" and this stupid %$%^*$)! says to me "I DON'T KNOW!!" Well, I hold up my resume and say "I'm here about the job" and this idiot yells at me "WHAT EVER! I TOLD YOU WE AREN'T OPEN!!!" and turns away from me to continue eating her fries!!!!

Well, I was burning, thinking, girl, if I get the job, I'm firing you ASAP. I waited a few minutes, since she got up and left less than a minute after turning her back on me, thinking she was going to tell the manager someone was here. Of course, not! That would have been too easy. So I was SOOOOO ticked off, I got in the jeep and left, thinking to myself - I don't want to manage a crew like that and I don't want to work with a crew like that.

So I go to the hardware store a little ways up and across the street, where they know me, to pick up a few things we needed. I say in disqust to the cashier as I'm checking out "You guys aren't hiring, are you?" and she says, "Oh, go and get an application back at the parts counter, I don't know if Lynn is still taking them, but I'm leaving next week." :-D

I told her what happened and she was totally blown away by it, as was everyone else I talked to about it. Everyone says I should call and report her, but what's the point? Besides, if she hadn't done that, I wouldn't have asked at the hardware store, where I have a pretty good chance of getting the job (I'm going to talk to Lynn Saturday), where they know and like me already, and I like them. It's actually a bit closer to home and easier to access (Long John Silvers is in a location where you've got to go through a pain in the butt light to get to it).

Strange how the Universe works sometimes. So now folks, it's keep your fingers crossed for me on Saturday :-D

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:43 pm

A little late again!!!

Crossing fingers for Saturday!

Geez what a b****. I say report her. What if you had been a secret shopper???
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27

Post by Lotus » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:05 am

A little odd how things work like this. You'd be happier at the hardware store instead of food service anyway. ;)
Good luck again I'm still being your cheerleader on this one.

BB
Lotus

Librarian
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Librarian » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:54 am

Good luck with the job!

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:26 am

Alas, it was not meant to be... :-(

I was told, basically, "we aren't hiring right now." but...

If one is to read between the lines it was "our business isn't doing well because our profit margin has slipped with the gas prices driving everything up - we aren't replacing her, we're going to try to get by without and see how we do."

This is a mom and pop outfit, and most of the employees they have are long time one's - the woman leaving has been there many years. What seems to be going on here is that they are nice folks and won't fire someone and put them on the street just because things are getting tight, but when someone leaves, they just aren't replacing them and will work longer hours themselves.

Yeah, Shrub, the economy is getting soooo much better...

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:48 pm

Awww Stormy, I'm sorry :(

:hug:
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

scoia
Level 7
Level 7

Post by scoia » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:35 pm

Oh, bad luck! That sounded perfect.

Blessings in finding something else, job hunting is so hard and tiring.

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:19 pm

Note to self - next time try only crossing fingers and toes #-o

Im sorry honey. That sounded so perfect for you. I wish you luck in further searching, and hope that you stumble across your "perfect" job soon! Well, as perfect as a job can be lol. I know just how hard it is to find a job these days, and the only reason I have the job I have atm is cause it was the only job offer I had in 3 months :-? Will be thinking of you [-o<
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27

Post by Lotus » Tue May 02, 2006 4:17 pm

Yeah, gas prices are hurting everyone.
It is tough getting a job (any job) this day and age.

BB
Lotus

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed May 03, 2006 5:19 pm

Well I hope it will work out for you soon.

Good Luck!!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)