Timmy the bird

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:25 am

Alot of birds do this, and mostly because they think its a completely different bird in the mirror. If they are of breeding age (and season) they will sit infront of a mirror all day and all night flirting away as birds do. I find it unhealthy honestly, because they dont act normal when they have a mirror. Best bet, to stop her getting too attached, is to get it away from her asap really. They just get so absorbed in mirrors that they dont see the rest of the world. Nice play toy for some birds, but definitely not all.
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:50 am

Well, she has actually started to come down and eat, though not as much as before. When she does she calls to her "friend" to join her and she eats as fast as she can so she can go back to her "friend".

The thing is, these birds are very social and from what I was reading they should have a cage mate but I'd never be able to get her a same species friend - closest I could come would be a zebra finch and I don't know if that would work. So I don't want to take the mirror if I don't have to but thanks for the info - I'm going to keep a close eye that she is getting enough to eat and if it looks like no then I'll take it away.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:15 pm

Well from what I've heard, zebras are supposed to be good with just about any other type of finch. Those or "society finches" are usually good for that.
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:14 pm

Na. You've done it now. If you take the mirror away she will pine, and therefore stop eating again.

Let her get used to it. She will eat when she is hungry. Remember the phrase "eat like a bird"? I.E very little.

Now she is starting to recover her eating patterns will be returning to normal, so do not expect her to eat SO much as she first did.

Every three to five weeks, change things around in the cage as well. Put perches in different places, the mirror some where else, etc. Other wise birds get bored and start pulling their feathers out. LITERALY.

Another bird may be an idea. But do not put them in the same cage at first. They need to get used to each other. Remember, if they should start fighting, Timmy is not fighting weight.

We put a mirror in our budgie cage once. Three days later the budgie had eaten it. Plastic surround and glass included. Damn, even my PETS are mad. :lol:

Another thought. WHY ARE WE ALL CALLING SOMETHING CALLED "TIMMY", "SHE"??? :-?

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:41 am

Ragnar wrote: Another thought. WHY ARE WE ALL CALLING SOMETHING CALLED "TIMMY", "SHE"??? :-?
Heh, heh - it's from the South Park cartoon. My husband coined it and it stuck, even though she IS a she. In South Park there is a handicap kid in a wheel chair who can only say one thing, his name, "Timmy". Timmy, despite his handicap, is able to do all sorts of things you'd never think a kid in a wheel chair could do. And he is tough and stubborn.

Ironically, in one episode, he took in a handicap turkey that couldn't lift it's head right, just like our girl was at first, and it was called Gobbles - however, I guess "Gobbles" didn't seem to fit as well as "Timmy" in my husband's eyes :-D

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:09 am

Ahhh, I see.:-D

I have never seen South Park.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:25 am

Ragnar wrote: I have never seen South Park.
:oops: You have GOT to see it - it is completely irreverent, politically incorrect and jabs a bony finger of over-the-top sarcasm at everything from Scientology to politics to even itself - not to mention handicapped people :lol:

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:33 am

Well. It used to be on here. On MTV, I think. But now the cable company have got rid of MTV. So I have missed the chance.

I am sure you can get the DVD's here though. I may try and get some to watch. :-D

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:50 pm

I think the other bird idea is a good one, but definitely keep them separated for the first week, just keep the cages together. Then hopefully no fighting.

Ragnar, try going online and searching for the Southpark Scientology episode on a free download like edonkey. I don't watch Southpark usually, but that episode was hilarious. If you only watch one episode, it should be that one.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:10 am

Kitsune. Aye thanks. I have tried down loads. But the particular plug ins needed, are not offered by my server. And, hey, my computer sometimes has trouble downloading this forum. A video clip would kill it STONE dead. :lol:

Also, no sound card. Because the damn thing does not have a place to plug one in to. #-o

I'll borrow the DVD. If I like it as much as you all think I will, then I will buy them. :-D

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:12 pm

Stormy wrote:Well, she has actually started to come down and eat, though not as much as before. When she does she calls to her "friend" to join her and she eats as fast as she can so she can go back to her "friend".

The thing is, these birds are very social and from what I was reading they should have a cage mate but I'd never be able to get her a same species friend - closest I could come would be a zebra finch and I don't know if that would work. So I don't want to take the mirror if I don't have to but thanks for the info - I'm going to keep a close eye that she is getting enough to eat and if it looks like no then I'll take it away.
Be careful getting a cage mate. I did for my zebra finch and the other thing nearly picked her to death. If you do keep a careful watch over them to make sure. I guess the other one wanted all the attention for herself? :-?

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.