Timmy the bird

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
Stormy

Timmy the bird

Post by Stormy » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:37 am

Well, I've put this here as it's a blessing request. However, I understand that it is not of the greatest importance in the overall scheme of things so please don't feel obligated in any way.

Timmy the bird, as some might recall from another post, has been doing very well. She managed to come back from her close encounter with a window to where she is almost 'normal'. She has moved to a real bird cage and was starting to actually learn to perch again. She is eating and drinking on her own. I was very happy for her but was/am prepared to have to care for her for the rest of her life as I don't think she will ever make a full recovery.

Last night I heard her moving around in her cage after "lights out" but that's not unusual. She is covered at night and I wish I'd gone to look at her - but I figured I'd just startle her if I lifted the cover so I didn't.

This morning at 5 am when I went to uncover her I was greeted with the horrible sight of her lying in the cage, soaked to the skin, appearing dead. She had flopped into the shallow water dish in the night, then got the paper from the cage bottom into it, all the water had wicked out into her feathers and the paper. She was chilled to the bone, couldn't hardly move or open her eyes. I was horrified and completely blame myself.

I immediately got her into dry paper towels and held her under a 40 watt heat lamp. I gently picked all the seeds off of her matted feathers and carefully groomed her with an artists fan brush to fluff her feathers as they dried. She started to warm up and shake terribly as the warmth brought some strength back. Despite having been soaked she was dehydrated and took water from her trusty old eye dropper that I'd used with her for the first week she was with us and couldn't drink on her own. I cupped her in my hands and poured all the healing energy I could into her and envisioned her wrapped in golden healing light.

Miraculously, she seems to have made a fairly good recovery. Once nearly dry, she got feisty enough again to not want to be held anymore. I put her back into a clean dry cage with the heat lamp on her and covered it 80% to keep the heat in but not get too hot. She is standing and alert, even has done the "bird feather shake" to try to get her feathers back in order, but I am afraid of her getting sick from being so chilled for so long.

It is unbelievable what hell this poor bird has been through and amazing how she keeps bouncing back. I'm not so much asking for energy to be sent to her (I'm giving her lots of that), just that perhaps you add her to your prayers/petitions to your Deities for the hope that she will not become ill.

I'm not sure why this little finch came into our lives, but I somehow feel it is important beyond the obvious of saving a life. She is so different from other wild birds I've treated - she has never had any fear of eating in captivity, something that most wild birds you try to rehab tend to struggle with. She was even eating (with difficulty) the first day we had her and her head injury kept her from standing or holding her head up strait! I know I shouldn't get so attached to her, but I will be devastated if she should die after all the poor girl has been thru.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:55 pm

My prayers are with you and the poor bird. Please let us know whats happening. I'm not certain if the poor bird was brought into our lives for a reason, but I'm very glad he's here now.

Please put on a few more pics. I've actually been worrying about him for the last 3-4 days. I was going to put a new post on to ask for an update.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:30 pm

I'll definitely be thinking of your little birdie friend, and of course it's not silly for you to get attached to her. I have gotten quite attached to my mom's pet birds (btw they're all finches, 2 zebras and one guldian). Birds can be just as good of pets as dogs or cats (or rabbits, I have a rabbit too, lol). But I agree with Kitsune, I'd love to see a pic of her!
"Love like you've never been hurt."

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:15 pm

Blessings and energy coming your way. I have taken in many a sick and injured bird and know just how attached you can get to them in a short space of time. I should post pics up of my little baby sometime lol.

Keep safe little Timmy! [-o<
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:18 pm

I will try and send some energy Timmy's way.

Its amazing how animals wiggle their way into our hearts.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:28 pm

On my Reiki list! If she lets me [-o< If not I'm still putting out blessings for her!

Amazing birdie. [-o<
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:28 am

This bird is dynamite lol - I can barely believe how tough such a fragile little creature is. Only a few hours after her ordeal, she started eating again. She was wary of the evil water dish most of the day though lol. I made sure to take the dish of water out for the night!

Amazingly, she looks BETTER than before - maybe something to do with her feathers got wet and therefore cleaned? She had been a bit rumpled and dirty from the week she spent having to drag herself around the floor of the cage. Well, now she has a new, real bird cage (I had her in a makeshift screened box before). AND she is able to make it to the top perches in usually only one or two tries! She still, however, cannot perch at night to sleep. It takes all her concentration to stay on the perch and when she falls asleep she falls off. This morning found her stretched out with her head propped up in the corner, sleeping peacefully.

It has been very difficult to get a picture of her - she is always swaying and jerking about - out of five pics I only got one that came out good. Here she is, the day after her second ordeal.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:17 am

She looks great.

Well done. ;)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:19 am

=D> =D> =D> Hurray for Timmy!!

I nominate her for the official Pagan Library Mascot position.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:21 am

Aye! Good idea. :-D

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:20 pm

You've got my vote.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:08 pm

I love birds, and that one is so cute.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:18 pm

Aye, cute she is - and expensive lol - I noticed her beak was starting to get a slight hook to the tip from growing as well as her claws getting long. Not wanting to stress her with nail and beak trimming I made a trip to the pet store to get her ONE of those Sandy Perch special perches that are for keeping nails and beaks trim. Of course, I ended up coming home with $25 worth of stuff - various perches that are "easier" for a handicapped bird, as well as a mirror with beads toy, some honey seed treat cakes, fortified finch delight food and a vitamen supplement #-o Funny thing is the folks at the pet store know me and right away wanted to know how the bird was doing. Seems everyone who hears about Timmy is rooting for her :-D

She loves the new perches, expecially the expensive cactus wood one with sand mix cement stuff in all the holes - she must be a woman :lol: She's been sanding her beak on it already.

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:57 pm

Aww, she is so cute Stormy, and I agree with the nomination for Pagan Library mascot! :-D
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:41 am

Gak, I think I have a problem. Little miss birdy got up this morning and ate like a pig, then started exploring the new perches some more and found the mirror with the beads on it. She hasn't left it since. Not to eat, not to drink. She sits next to her new "friend" and talks softly to her. I went up to the cage and she fell off the perch to the floor, but unlike what she would usually do (grab some food and drink) she just fussed about until she could manage to get back to her "friend".

Anyone with more experience with finches than me - will she get over this and start eating again or should I take her friend away?