Kitty Blessings

Kinda like a prayer chain ...
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Kitty Blessings

Post by Willow » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:00 pm

One more thing...
My kitties are going in tomorrow morning to get spayed and I have had to come to the difficult decision to de-claw them as well. I don't like it and I don't want too but I have tried everything and they constantly supplement the scratching post. So The vet said it is better them to lose their claws and stay with someone like me who will love them than for them to keep their claws and wind up in a shelter. As well, Marmot's would have to come out anyway because on one of her paws the claws grown into her pads (it is a strange deformity). So when they fight, I think Newt could hurt Marmot. Anyway, I am just hoping they recover quickly and their surgeries go OK.

Thanks all.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:00 am

Best of wishes with that - I'm sure they will be OK. I am really sorry to see you decide to declaw though.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:28 pm

Willow, it's a shame that you had to declaw them, but sometimes it is necessary. I tried everything with my cats too. Even these little nail caps that you glue on to their nails, but they'd just pull them off, so we ended up getting them declawed. I hated doing it, but they just wouldn't leave the furniture alone and it was really making my mom angry (she too is usually a strong believer in NOT declawing cats). It got to the point where they were not only destroying upholstery, but even the wood frames around all the doorways. My cats were pretty upset the first day they came home, but now, years later, they're fine and perfectly adjusted.

Just make sure you take them to a good vet who won't do anything stupid like declawing their back feet (they need those claws to get traction when walking, running, and jumping), or taking more than the first knuckle off. I do have a cat that we got from a shelter who had what feels like the first 2 knuckles taken off of each toe, AND her back claws (first 2 knuckles as well) removed. As a result, she always has bad back pain. Anyway, now that you know what to look out for, I'll be sending good vibes for your kitties so that they heal fast! [-o<
"Love like you've never been hurt."

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:19 am

Blessings to your kitties!!

Well you know, I'm against declawing, but in a city I think it isn't that bad. Our kitties destroy our doorways and some of the furniture (they won't scratch leather, so our couch is safe for the most part) but we live out in the bush so if our cats were declawed they would not be able to climb a tree when a coyote is after them.

I clip the nails of one cat because she likes to sleep on the couch and scratches it on her way down, but not the other one because he goes outside and occasionally catches mice.

Your kitties will be just fine, madam.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:41 am

I use nail clippers on my cat too. He has a very bad habit of launching off your chest or lap or stomach. And that hurts. So I clip his claws so they aren't so sharp.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:06 pm

Well, they are out and they are OK, one of them caught conjunctivis (SP?) while at the vet so she needs eye medicine now. Their paws are fine and marmot no longer has the limp that happened because of her claws.
I didn't want to do it but I think its OK, they are 100% indoor cats, I am moving to downtown Toronto this summer into a very rough neighborhood, there is no way I would let them out.
I felt really silly about how much I missed them while they were gone though, they have become like little kids to me.
And I know how you guys feel about declawing, thank you for not being super angry. It really is a good group here.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:32 pm

Willow wrote: I felt really silly about how much I missed them while they were gone though, they have become like little kids to me.
And I know how you guys feel about declawing, thank you for not being super angry. It really is a good group here.
No need to feel silly - I worry myself worse than a mother hen over our three fur babies.

And there was little chance anyone was going to get angry at you for doing something that even you didn't really want to do. We may not collectively agree with or like de-clawing but sometimes one must do what one must do - like it or not. No reason for us to get super angry over that ;)
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:54 pm

Aw glad they are out and doing okay!

Don't feel silly about loving your little kittens so much. We all do. And it cannot be as bad as my former co-worker and her new dog. ;)

Pets need all the love they can get. They are, after all, just like humans.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

morgana
Level 22
Level 22

Post by morgana » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:40 am

Glad the kitties are ok! My cats are my babies too. Heck, when I had my horse he was even more so my baby! If he got sick I'd spend all day and all night at the barn taking care of him (and he was older than I was, lol). Animals are better than most people anyway, so I think they deserve the best treatment. :-)
"Love like you've never been hurt."

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:04 pm

I'm glad your kitties are ok. I don't think I could ever de-claw Jac, I grew up on the farm and like CHL, clawless cats didn't live very long. I'm in an apartment now, but one day I hope to be back in the sticks. I clip her back nails though, if I don't they get too long and it hurts her to walk. Besides, she only scratches the door jam when she wants out on the patio.

I think most ppl love their fur babies like real kids, so don't apologize for worrying, it shows you care! :-D As a matter of fact, I've been known to throw out some of our friends for being mean to Jac. That's usually the first thing I say to guests, "Take off your shoes and be nice to the cat." And yes, some of them haven't came back and rarely call, but I like the cat better then them anyways and she bites! :lol:

Anyways, blessing for you and your kitties!
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:59 pm

Forgotten Oceans, I don't blame you. I get mad at people for senselessly ripping up moss or handfuls of grass on purpose. If they were mean to one of my animals... I'd... I'd...

Well they wouldn't be in any form of comfort for a week, I'll tell you.
Crazy Healer Lady