Kinda like a prayer chain ...
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Burnout

Post by Willow » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:56 pm

Hey All,
I could use some blessings,

I am taking care of myself exercising, eating right and getting plenty of sleep but I still feel like I am burning out. I can't get motivated to do the work I need to do to stay on top of school.

It sucks because I love what I study but my intensive program is really getting to me.

I have seriously considered going back on Ritalin to get through all this but I don't like what it does to my personality even though it helps me concentrate.

Anyway, just needed to vent to people who won't tell me just to suck it up and that I am just being lazy. Thanks for listening.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:12 am

Blessings on their way

It seems like I say "meditate" everytime someone has a problem, but, seriously, meditate 5 minutes in the morning on breath? It helps improve concentration and really relaxes you. You can do this whenever you're feeling stressed, too, even in the middle of an exam if you know you won't run out of time.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:09 pm

Get some lavender oil burning around you, thats always a great way to calm down, and get back on track. I also use lavender shower gel (a really good one, not a dodgey "sorta smells like lavender") and it will probably do more than the oil would, cause it gets into your muscles as well as the smell of it to relax your entire body.

Blessings on the way! I cant think of a great energiser off the top of my head, but I will have a good think when I get back from work.

Take care, and keep us updated!!
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:15 pm

I can completely understand what you are going through as I've been there and done that. It's tough when you love what you are doing but for whatever reason you just feel totally 'weak' and unable to 'go on' with it. I have found when that happens that often what I need to do is simply let go of everything, even if only for an hour or so, and just BE. (If you can manage to give yourself a full afternoon or even a full day or weekend to do this, all the better.) No pressure to do anything other than sit and stare at a patch of grass or the skyline out the window for a good long while - not even any pressure to try to meditate - because I have found when I'm in a funk like you describe, even trying to meditate is frustrating and rarely successful when I actually TRY to do it. But when you just let yourself sit there and do nothing but simply exist, no structured thinking, no worrying about anything, no trying to 'concentrate' on meditating - well, after a while you will find that you actually are meditating without trying and your mind and the Universe will come thru loud and clear telling you how to proceed and get yourself out of the funk. At least that's how it works for me, hopefully, it will work for you.

In any event, blessings to you in whatever you try to get yourself back on track. It will happen, just try not to worry on it too much.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:10 am

thanks guys,
I find just getting it off my chest often helps.

Meditating is a good idea, I do yoga once a week and I think that is going to keep helping me too.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:43 pm

Aye, the yoga will help heaps. Just before my "ahh damn it Im gonna go mental" phase at uni, I started yoga 6 months before, and it helped me to just sorta sit back and take a good hard look at what I was doing and where I should be going. I was very relaxed when I got onto the breathing exercises, so I find that if I start to have a problem, I'll start on those exercises before I get caught out and cant calm down.

And sometimes even just writing it down to yourself is a good way to get it off your chest. Im glad we are able to be here to help hun.

Take care, many blessings!

(PS - sorry if I make no sense, I have had no sleep lol)
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:15 pm

No worries,
I have been reading existentialists, after that...Everything makes sense ...it just has no meaning

Way to long in the books...
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Brown Eyed Girl
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Brown Eyed Girl » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:49 am

How are you eating properly cause its a combination of what your eat and how and when you eat it, eat it certain way's you get truck loads of new energy.
Who is "I" without a past? A river without a source? An event without a cause?

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:56 am

My breakfast is usually a fruit and milk smoothie with wheat germ, lunch is usually a salad with some chickpeas and nuts. I have granola bars and apples or oranges as snacks. I don't drink any pop or coffee (though I do have tea and hot chocolate), then dinner is whatever I feel like, I try and make up for anything I have missed during the day. The only thing that might be off is I might not be getting enough protein.
I don't know if that helps, but I love advice!
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:49 am

The thing about the West is that everyone thinks we need sooo much protein. We really don't need that much. A handful of chickpeas and some bread will give you the protein you need for the day, but pulses need to be combined with grains to give you a complete protein unless you eat meat.

If we're talking diet here... GREEN FOODS!! Broccoli and lots of foods with iron and magnesium!!

Okay that's my input :P
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

melina
Level 3
Level 3

Post by melina » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:48 pm

I don't know what else is going on in your life, but it could be that there's something emotionally bothering you. I go through spells where I get depressed or guilty, and I just can't enjoy living.

The meditation, yoga, and diets are great ideas. What I do when I get in those moods, is I just let go of everything. Find a way to be someone else for even just 15 minutes. Pretend that there are no problems and that everything is fantastic. It sounds like denial or something, but its only for a few minutes and it really helps me get level. Just the 15 minutes of no homework worries or thoughts about family or relationships takes such a huge weight off your shoulders its unbelievable.

I'll keep you in my thoughts. I know these periods are tough to get through because its like you can't enjoy anything, but it passes. Try to focus on the positive, as cliche as that sounds.
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!-

Isaiah 5:20

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:49 pm

Thanks,
I am sure there is emotional crap happening, I jut have no time to deal with it.
I also got my first rejection letter of the year for a paper I submitted to a conference. So of course, getting one rejection means the rest of my life will be one sad rejection after another until I wind up as a bum somewhere. I just need to kick myself int he tush sometimes and remind myself how good I have it.
Thanks for the thoughts and blessings guys.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:36 am

I feel that way almost every year anymore. But I've come to realize it's the time of year that causes it. It always happens in the winter. There is less sun, I spend more energy trying to keep warm, I'm constantly hungry because of the spent energy. Most important, is I only got a one month break at Christmas rather than a three month break at summer. So I don't have much time to do whatever I want, since I'm working more during Christmas too.

Maybe it has to do with some of that for you.

But this semester I've taken up the belly dance class/club at school. At the very least, I go to school on Thursdays knowing that I have this awesome two hours to be myself and have fun, if I just behave and get through the classes. I shouldn't spend time not studying, but I've come to realize I need that time. Plus, I get to work muscles that don't always get worked. There are days when I come home so exhausted and sore, but it feels good.

The best part of it was that we had quite a few more people last night because were getting pictures done for the school news paper. One of the drummers came in and told me that a girl outside the room said that the belly dancers are not attractive. I just looked at him and said who cares what she thinks? It was the first time I hadn't felt so subconscious about myself and my body in a long time.

Ok, not that I've rambled your ear off here. I hope this helps a bit.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:10 pm

Your rambling helps a lot Fyre, I think wedding stress might be bothering me a litlte too. Everyone around me wants a traditional wedding where I wear white and act like some virtuous virgin, carrying flowers and blushing and all that $*^&. My partner actually got upset when I said I might wear a green dress and asked if I just couldn't be normal for one day. I think it is getting to him too. I know it will blow over because I will look great no matter what and people can say whatever they want about my dress, I am the one wearing it and the one who has to look at the pictures for the rest of my life.

Phew, I guess it was my turn to rant.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:55 pm

My partner actually got upset when I said I might wear a green dress and asked if I just couldn't be normal for one day.
:-o WHAT?!?!?!?!

*pulls self together*

Wedding stress can be very very tough, I imagine, so I'll let this go :evil:
Crazy Healer Lady