Yes, another brand new one

The first stop if you're just starting out or just don't know where to go.
lucas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lucas » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:57 pm

You mean all of you aren't wanting only one thing from me? :-D

I have a very strong connection with animals- will that come into play here?
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:19 pm

lucas wrote: I have a very strong connection with animals- will that come into play here?
Yes, definately - you might try reading a book called Shamanism: As a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life By: Thomas Dale Cowan.

When I first found my way (or rather, realized the way I'd been all my life and never knew what it was) to paganism, I started out reading about Wiccan beliefs and although there was much there that I still work with, I realized I was definately not Wiccan. After reading Cowan's book I realized I was meant for a more Shamanistic path as I too have a strong connection with animals and also a strong link with nature in general that is more Shamanistic in nature and always has been (but again, I never knew that's what it was as I was never exposed to in depth information about any religion other than the one I was force fed as a child).

As it turns out, even after being on this path for over two years now, I am still evolving and developing my own personal means of relating to the Divine Universe, to Unity, the Goddess/God. And that is exactly what is so wonderful about modern paganism - it allows each individual to find the exact "fit", the way that is best for YOU to relate to the Divine. There are, IMO, as many paths to the same end as there are people - and with the "new" paganism, finally, for the first time in the history of mankind, there is a growing understanding of that.

So, what kind of pagan am I? Hard to say exactly, but if one needed to label, perhaps "Chaotic* Shamanistic Hedge/Kitchen Witch" might come a little close ;) Which is my way of saying to you that you should not be afraid to explore all of the various pagan beliefs until you find one or more that "fit" and then make them your own.

*note about the use of the word Chaotic - it is not what a Christinized mind set might think - it does not mean anything evil, Chaos Magick is simply magick which uses what ever works (very simple explaination). For a better explaination, read Condensed Chaos By: Phil Hine
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

katsu
Level 12
Level 12

Post by katsu » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:38 pm

Welcome Lucas

Katsu(a bit short on words today)
/|\

xAutumn_Leafx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xAutumn_Leafx » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:41 am

I'm currently reading Animal Speak by Ted Andrews, which instructs on Animal Totems and how to identify our personal animal guides. I"m not very far into it yet, but so far it's really interesting. I have also always had a really strong connection to animals all my life and this book just clicks in that way (to me, at least). It does seem very Native American oriented, but not only so. Then again, I have a history of Native American culture, so I might be reading it with a bias too.

Some more books that I've been told are good beginners books, regardless of what path you follow are Wicca by Scott Cunningham and Chakras for Beginners by David Pond.

I've also picked up Sacred Stones of the Goddess by Galen Gillotte. It's not exactly beginner, but it's pretty easy to understand. It's focused heavily on Goddess worship and the use of stones for meditations and divinity. There's some good stuff in here, even if you don't follow all of it.

Another book that I've picked up, but havn't yet read is Exploring the Pagan Path; Wisdom from the Elders. It written by multiple authors. It's apparently a really good beginner book. It looks pretty exciting, but I know nothing about it yet.

Allow me to share some very good newbie advice that I heard on this board. Visit your public library. I was not expecting to find anything pagan in my library (I live in a highly Christian area) and I was amazed at I found! Rows upon rows! Plus, it's a lot easier on the ole' pocketbook and it freed me up to explore many different ways, because if I found it wasn't for me, I simply returned the books and borrowed something else.

Good luck on your researching and your journey. Don't be afraid to ask questions, regardless of how dumb they seem to you. Trust me, these guys are used to it since I came on board. :-D
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration." ~ Claude Monet

"Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens." ~Carl Jung

lucas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lucas » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:13 am

Thank all of you for the suggested readings. I've got some research to do!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:44 am

I really should have remembered Animal Speak... Considering the trouble I went through with it... Awesome book, It's great, wonderful...

Good on you guys, xAutumnLeafx and CHL!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Earth Daughter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Earth Daughter » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:42 am

Another book that I really enjoyed (though didn't finish, after a certain number of overdue notices it's best to just return it... :oops: ) was Apprentice to Power: A Wiccan Odyssey to Spiritual Awakening by Timothy Roderick. I don't consider myself to be entirely Wiccan (more of an ecclectic spirituality, combining various forms of paganism, native american spirituality, buddhism and because I was raised with it, Christianity) it really enjoyed the writing style that he used. He also included some rituals but they are more along theh lines of guided meditations... good book though.
Oh and before I forget, welcome and enjoy you're time here, I know I have. :-D
Blessed be.
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.

MettaPax
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MettaPax » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:28 am

Looks like you have a lot of suggested reading materials so I will just say:

\:D/ WELCOME! \:D/
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.
-Yoda

"The path of true happiness is one of integrating and fully accepting all aspects of our experience." - Sharon Salzberg from "Loving Kindness"