Hello from a Newbie!

The first stop if you're just starting out or just don't know where to go.
Salvia
Level 1
Level 1

Hello from a Newbie!

Post by Salvia » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:12 am

:sign2:

Hello all! I am brand new to this board and I look forward to learning from you all!

Although I have been a Pagan all my life, it has only been over the last couple years that I've realized it. I've spent the last year reading and thinking and following the Wheel of the Year. I am very solitary and it is a must for me, but I do worry that it keeps my perspective narrow.

I'm married with two young daughters. I love to work in my garden and enjoy being out in Nature.

Bye for now! :hello2:
I pledge allegiance to the soil of Turtle Island,
and to the beings who thereon dwell,
one ecosystem,in diversity,under the sun
With joyful interpenetration for all.~Gary Snyder

Earth Daughter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Earth Daughter » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:37 pm

nice to meet you from a fellow newbie!

Blessed Be
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:40 pm

Welcome to the library and our happy little on-line family here. It is a common theme that many pagans were "pagan" their whole life and never realized it. That's how it was for me too. Isn't it such a wonderful feeling when you finally realize what you were searching for your whole life?
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

katsu
Level 12
Level 12

Post by katsu » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:11 pm

You've beaten me to it Stormy :lol:

Welcome all
/|\

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:49 pm

Hello and welcome!!!

It was the same for me as well^__^

I love your name. I must ask: Did you choose this name because of sage (salvia officinalus), the wonderful smudge plant, or salvia divinorum, the diviner's sage??
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Salvia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Salvia » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:13 am

Well, I love all Salvias! :-) I have about half a dozen species in the garden, but I don't have S. divinorum! Oooo- must find out about it!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:56 am

Welcome. Looking forward to hearing your perspective more!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

crone80
Level 1
Level 1

hi

Post by crone80 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:28 am

Hello from another newbie here. I have also been a pagan all my life without knowing exactly why I didn't fit in with the local church hehehe its good to know there's so many of us.
Silver hair proves that to be old is to be kissed by the moon (unknow author)

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:40 am

welcome welcome

I like your name a lot too.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:48 am

It is incredibly hard to grow!!

Technically it is poisonous, and unless you want everyone in the room hallucinating and possibly tearing up the place not good for smudge :lol: but an amazing plant nonetheless. A mother-y feel to it.
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:35 am

CHL, I didn't know that diviner's sage is poisonous? I know that it is a powerful hallucinogenic which contains no substances controlled by the United States drug laws (hence it is legal), that it has been used for centuries in Mexico mainly for spiritual reasons, that it is rare in that it is completely non-addictive and that you had best have a sitter with you if you plan to use it - but I never heard it was poisonous. I never even heard of anyone dying from taking it, though I'm sure that will change now that it has been desecrated and brought into the main stream drug culture here in the USA :evil:

Culture is difficult, but possible - lots of humidity and heat needed.
Stormy ~~}~}-:>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Salvia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Salvia » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:20 am

I looked Salvia divinorum up in Plants of the Gods by Shultes. Here is what he says:

"No chemical evidence of a psychoactive substance is as yet known even though the leaves have experimentally been shown to have hallucinatory effects. Of shorter duration and less striking, the intoxication is similar to that of the sacred mushrooms."

The book is from 1992, so they may know more now about the chemical components. Also he writes:

"In Oaxaca, Mexico, the Mazatec Indians cultivate Salvia divinorum for the leaves which are crushed on a metate, siluted in water and drunk or chewed fresh for their hallucinogenic properties in divinatory rituals...It has been suggested that the narcotic Pipiltzintzintli of the ancient Aztecs was Salvia divinorum, but, at present, the plant seems to be used only by the Mazatecs."

I'd love to try to grow it. Interesting- it is not in A Book of Salvias by Betsy Clebsch at all! :-k

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:57 am

Technically, anything that is hallucinogenic is "poisonous." It won't kill you, but it's labelled poisonous.

I haven't heard too many stories of people overdosing, and if they have died from it, it's been from broken things rather than an actual chemical poisoning.

It is the only drug I've ever experimented with spiritually. One of the things that convinced me it's easier and better (for me, at least) to not do anything.
Crazy Healer Lady

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:39 am

Hi there and welcome! It'll be good to get another herbalist in the mix. So far CHL was our main, but it'll be fun to watch the two of you post back and forth. :-D I've already learned so much in just the few short post of ya'lls. I hope you to see you around. ;)
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:13 am

:lol: I've found it very fun!!! Very pleased am I.
Crazy Healer Lady