Where did everybody go?

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Re: Where did everybody go?

Post by Kitsune » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:19 pm

Well at the very least it sounds like you guys have everything prepared for the vacation!

What type of computer is he picking up?
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:58 pm

Aw you guys... I'm glad you're getting break!!!!

Hubby will have fun with SC2! Chris is really enjoying it. He and his cousin are playing a few nights a week :-o It's really detailed!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:29 pm

lol yea we've heard great things from some of our friends who have been playing SC2. He's really looking forward to it :-D

As for his puter .. He's going over to a laptop. No more desktop for Arcanum lol. It's an Asus .. That's all I know lol. I'm horrid with tech spec's on computers lol. Pretty sure he's picking it up tomorrow. Might have more details for you then Kitsune lol :-D
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:27 pm

I'm not a big tech nerd, but I know just enough of the tech talk to use it. I've heard some good things about SC2, but I won't be playing it... I am not a gaming girl... and when I am it's usually something like Perfect World (MMO), which I then proceed to not talk to other people on. I enjoy playing with other people so long as we're all using mic's though.

And I have to say, I prefer laptops. I got my first one 3-5 years back and I haven't even considered going back since. It's just ten times more conveinant for me to carry it around and be able to do whatever I need wherever I am. My current one has a 17.5" widescreen on it... So even my screen is around the same size (or just a tad smaller) than your average desktop screen. My specs are pretty darn good too, considering that it's a "gaming" system.

Anyways, can't wait to hear about yours, even if it's just size and make/model # info!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:00 pm

I'm seriously considering a new laptop purchase once the house stuff is done. My old Toshiba is about shot. It's a 7 year old model and I've had it for just shy of six years, now.

We replaced the desktop about a year ago with a minitower. A nice, compact machine. Not as powerful as I used to build, but honestly I'm not that hardcore a user anymore. I think if we can find the pricing right, when we replace this, we may just go with dual laptops and get a dock for the desk.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:08 pm

davisherm wrote:I think if we can find the pricing right, when we replace this, we may just go with dual laptops and get a dock for the desk.
That's what we're thinking of doing too. I don't use anything too graphic intense anymore, so it's pretty easy to replace my PC for a lappy. I'm looking forward to it really, this PC has been nothing short of a pain in the behind since we built it lol. Arcanum's PC is .. going on 6 years old now, so he's really due for a new machine. It's taken me this long to talk him into doing it.

The tech specs on the newest member of the household (as of Monday hehe) are:
ASUS G73JH-TZ008X CPU: Intel Core i7 720QM OS: Windows 7 Professional RAM: 8GB DDR3 HDD: 1TB SATA Graphic: ATI Radeon HD5870M 1GB Dedicated VGA Screen: 17.3” LED Screen * 2yrs World Wide Warranty * Bluetooth * Webcam * Blu Ray Combo * Wifi 11N * LAN * Card Reader * HDMI * 6 Cell Battery.

He's getting it for a good price, and it looks like it'll be just what he needs, both for work, and for home. Gotta pick up the lappy, and his Starcraft 2 , on Monday lol. It's going to be a nice quiet day in my house lol
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:52 am

I still do a decent amount of image editing, even if it is just touching up family photos. So I'd probably do something with a good bit of processing power and a decent graphics card. Really though, for what I've been using the laptop for these days, all I need is something that gets wifi, can house my ebook collection and mp3's, and I can pound out a story on if I'm away from the home pc. I think I may just get a netbook or one of those Dell Mini's for myself and a powerful laptop for the house in general. That way when Sapphire is working on something, I can set up shop at the kitchen table and do whatever there. And vice versa. All I need is a full size keyboard and mouse took hook up to it and it becomes a almost like the big boy version- just with a tiny little screen. :lol:

I like the idea of having the dock, because then we don't have to go all out on screen size with the laptop and can continue to use the huge monitor that we got with the new pc. Until recently, I've used a docked laptop at work and it performs better than either of the towers I have at my new station. Can't wait till they get us our new machines!
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:26 pm

I wouldn't suggest a netbook if you are like me and do more than two things at once (like listen to music and write on a word program)... it tends to slow down. Mind you, I am insane, and my computers are usually running no less than 3 internet pages, word, music/videos and Windows Live Messenger... usually with at least one chat up on it.. I've been told that I tend to overrun my computers just through sheer multitasking.

So, yeah, I would suggest a full laptop, but if you don't tend to do too many things at once, the netbooks are amazing... they are light, compact, and are worth the $400 - $550 you spend on them.

But I wouldn't give up my 17.5" screen for anything in the world (Although I could see me replacing it with a slightly smaller screen next time... Maybe a 15" instead.). I love it!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:45 am

Hmmm. I must shoot my server. ANOTHER site where I am not getting notifications of replies in a thread!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:08 pm

I had wondered why you hadn't stopped by Ragnar. We need to start having some wild conversations if we want some of the fundies to come by and revitalize our site.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:25 pm

It does not help when in the last two YEARS, or even longer, only three or four people READ new posts, let alone bother answering.

Everyone here knows basically what each of us thinks. What we need is someone to throw a new angle on things. We are only going to get that with newbys. We are unlikely to attract newbys when as the last couple of months, for example, we have only had four or five new COMMENTS, note not new POSTS, on the entire site.

If I was new coming here, I would take one look and think "Dead site, leave it alone".

Having said that, I have found ALL sites appear to be the same. I am wondering if, after 5 to 10 years, the "fashion" is wearing off the whole idea of web sites.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:44 am

I wonder if it's going the way of social networking sites like Facebook?
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:25 am

Na. I am not friends with facebook.

But what do you mean? Are they having "recruitment" problems? Or do you mean going towards that style?

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:41 am

Well, I've noticed a lot more "groups" popping up on Facebook for discussion of stuff.

I think the "Social Networks" have done a number on "Forum Communities". After all, why visit four or five websites when you can go to one and talk to all the ppl you would on the four or five?

I, personally, have been so busy with my s-i-s's wedding this last month that I've become a lurker.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:46 am

But the "discussion" on FB is not worth the name. It is so shallow, that you would not even need a mine detector to find it.