Where did everybody go?

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
User avatar
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Posts: 1684
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:46 am
Location: White Oak, PA
Zodiac: Cancer
Contact:

Re: Where did everybody go?

Post by Kystar » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:33 am

Oh, I'm well aware. But people are lazy and getting lazier all the time.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

User avatar
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Posts: 2097
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Location: Calgary, Canada
Zodiac: Capricorn
Contact:

Re: Where did everybody go?

Post by Kitsune » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:31 pm

Personally, I don't really see the difference between forums and social networking sites like Facebook. I suppose because I don't go onto forums and only talk or chat with my friends. The purpose of forums (in my mind) is to meet people you don't know, so that you can find out what people outside of your immediate social circle think.

I can ask my friends in person what they think... why would I wait to ask them online?

I use social networking sites to keep up with my real life friends (and play Backyard Monsters :roll: :lol: ) and the people that I've developed a rapport with.

I think part of the problem is that it's becoming all too common to meet pagans now. Everybody has a "friend" or a "friend of a friend" that's Pagan... it's less wild and edgy than it used to be, which means that we're not where the cool kids hang out anymore (I believe that's Atheism or Christianity nowadays).

While I'm glad to have less of the really fluffy bunnies around, it does hurt the popularity and therefore site visits.

And of course, people tend to think that all you talk about if you're pagan is paganism. Hmm also, has anybody checked to see where we are on the google search engines now?

Maybe we just need to realign ourselves with the holy divine being of Google to get a few new hits.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

User avatar
Ragnar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2820
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:26 pm
Location: Preußen (Deutschland).
Contact:

Re: Where did everybody go?

Post by Ragnar » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:28 pm

Kitsune wrote: And of course, people tend to think that all you talk about if you're pagan is paganism. Hmm also, has anybody checked to see where we are on the google search engines now?
Right at the top when you google "Pagan Library".

User avatar
white_harmony
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 831
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:46 am
Location: Australia
Zodiac: Virgo
Contact:

Re: Where did everybody go?

Post by white_harmony » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:17 pm

Ragnar wrote:
Kitsune wrote: And of course, people tend to think that all you talk about if you're pagan is paganism. Hmm also, has anybody checked to see where we are on the google search engines now?
Right at the top when you google "Pagan Library".
But only if you search for just that. If you search for "pagan" or "pagan forums" it is not even on the first page.
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

User avatar
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Posts: 2097
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Location: Calgary, Canada
Zodiac: Capricorn
Contact:

Re: Where did everybody go?

Post by Kitsune » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:26 pm

Can we change our search results to land us on the first page when you search for pagan?

That would get a heck of a lot more people stopping by!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

User avatar
Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:29 pm
Location: Orange County, CA
Zodiac: Virgo
Contact:

Re: Where did everybody go?

Post by Dark Waters » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:23 am

Ragnar wrote:But the "discussion" on FB is not worth the name. It is so shallow, that you would not even need a mine detector to find it.

I'm not sure I agree with you there. Sure I spend most of my time there playing the game apps, but I was just in a rather prolonged discussion about how paganism (read as Satan) is trying to take over the world through mass media thanks to Twilight and Amazon's recommended reading list for Teen/Pre-teen girls. Someone had linked a video by Pastor Scott Drisscoll that their pastor had showed them in church. Needless I rose to the defense trying to explain how unrelated Satan is from Paganism, how books can be just books and movies just movies (Drisscoll thinks Avatar is one big Advert for Paganism too) and so forth.

One of the things about the Social Networking vs. Message Boards is the diversity of the people there. That person would never have joined here, and would never have posted the link - therefore the discussion would never have happened here, because every member here is somewhat on the same page.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

User avatar
Ragnar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2820
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:26 pm
Location: Preußen (Deutschland).
Contact:

Re: Where did everybody go?

Post by Ragnar » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:12 am

Fair enough, DW. I will agree with you. Game apps were GREAT.....until they went wrong. Then FORGET them. (Millionaire city was BRILLIANT!!)

Look at the complaints on the "help" pages! People have spent THOUSANDS(!!!!!) of dollars, then all of a sudden their whole army or even CITY dissapears, or like me, (NO money spent!!), you can not send your troops out to capture more land.

The game is DEAD.

As to discussions. I still, PERSONALLY find them shallow. Sorry. It is just me. Goes with "taste" I guess.

User avatar
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Posts: 2097
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Location: Calgary, Canada
Zodiac: Capricorn
Contact:

Re: Where did everybody go?

Post by Kitsune » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:25 am

I find that they can be rather shallow... but it all depends. Like on any other forum or social app it's the people involved in the conversation that really make the difference.

Unfortunately, I have noticed that a vast majority of those out there do tend to be more shallow than I would prefer. It becomes something closer to finding a diamond in the rough really.

My big argument to Facebook or forum conversations though is that all too often you post and nobody bothers to comment back. Oh, other people will comment on the forum or discussion board, but they don't respond to anything said by others. That, over anything else, is what annoys me the most. If you can't at least feel as though the person is responding to you, what is the point of actually continuing to care about the conversation?
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

User avatar
runewulf
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 820
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:38 pm
Location: USA
Zodiac: Scorpio
Contact:

Re: Where did everybody go?

Post by runewulf » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:11 pm

No pouting cherie, you got my IM, lol ;-P...
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Congrats Davish, moon frere...

You too W_H (crikey! ;-))

& oui, J'su returned ( run, quick, lol )
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

User avatar
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Posts: 2097
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Location: Calgary, Canada
Zodiac: Capricorn
Contact:

Re: Where did everybody go?

Post by Kitsune » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:29 pm

Wasn't trying to pout, but I guess I did start doing it.

Thanks Rune! I try not to get on my soapbox, but I'm a member of 3 - 4 forums and most of them are just comments responding to the original question... and the original poster never seems to comment on which they found helpful.

Sigh... That's why I love my online family here, actually!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

User avatar
Ragnar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2820
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:26 pm
Location: Preußen (Deutschland).
Contact:

Re: Where did everybody go?

Post by Ragnar » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:21 pm

Kitsune wrote: Thanks Rune! I try not to get on my soapbox, but I'm a member of 3 - 4 forums and most of them are just comments responding to the original question...
People responding to the question and STAYING ON TOPIC???

Bloody HEL lass, now THAT would be a LUXURY on most of the sites I go on.

(However, if a topic develops away from the origional question, then, if it is still relevant it merely proves the theory of evolution. :-D )

User avatar
runewulf
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 820
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:38 pm
Location: USA
Zodiac: Scorpio
Contact:

Re: Where did everybody go?

Post by runewulf » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:12 am

I understand, but I see it happen face to face too, lol.
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest