Canadian Census

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Canadian Census

Post by Kitsune » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:32 pm

So, me and Grimwell received a random call from the census a few days ago. :roll: Grimwell answered it and said that he had a bit of spare time to answer questions. Most of them were the usual "Day in the life of..." type - How much do you work? How much do you play? What are your hobbies? How long does it take you to do housework duriung the average week?

We were fine, and I was listening in with half an ear when they asked what Grimwell's religion was. He made me very proud by answering "Neo-Pagan" with no hesitation, by the way. Then, the woman on the line asked him to repeat it. He did, following it with the more common "Pagan". She honestly had no clue what it was! [-(

We tried a few other words, and finally had her read off the list. She started at Chrisitianity (and subtypes), but before she finished the list, we told her, "Not Christian". There were only about five religions on the list that were Non-Christian, and the woman heard me exclaim, "They don't have Pagan?!"

Apparently she heard me (though I was over three feet away from the phone) and quickly told Grimwell that she was "Penciling it in for us", but that she'd never heard of it before.

Now, I suppose I could drop it there... let sleeping dogs lie and all such. But I've never been that sort of woman.

I want to send a letter to my local newspapers and the Canadian government/census takers, explaining how many Pagans are within Canada, how many people they are ignoring based on their current practices... that type of stuff.

I've having trouble finding Canadian official information though. I don't suppose any of you would have some info of this nature I could use, would you? While I hate causing trouble this sort of thing pisses me right off and I'd like to respond to it and get it off my chest. Thanks everyone!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: Canadian Census

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:59 am

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/reference/refc ... ex-eng.htm Here is the contact info for the Cnd Census

Media

Make comments

Hope that helps a bit!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Re: Canadian Census

Post by Kitsune » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Oh, I'm sorry... >_<

My bad. #-o

I actually meant Canadian statistics on Paganism. Finding out where to send it was the easiest part of the whole thing. :lol:

Searching for statistics on amount of pagans in Canada, any laws on worship/holidays that have been made, that sort of stuff. I would rather my complaint come across as concerned and well researched if possible (which is why I'm still doing searches on my own as well), instead of reactionary or angry.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews