Interesting article on baby car seats and slings

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Interesting article on baby car seats and slings

Post by Kystar » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:30 pm

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/carseats.php
Key points:
Car seats are for use to secure an infant when riding in a car. They are less safe than a baby carrier when used outside their intended purpose as car safety devices.
Infants are safer in their caregivers' arms than left in a device (car seat, stroller, bouncy seat, crib, swing, etc.).
Carriers that offer correct positioning are far safer than ones that promote incorrect positioning (i.e. forcing baby's chin to his chest or awkward reclining holds).
It is vital that caregivers be aware of their infant's breathing at all times.
It's okay to wake the baby to take him out of the car seat. Deep sleep is a dangerous time for infants; SIDS invariably occurs during deep sleep, and other breathing difficulties are also a greater risk during deep sleep.
Infants should always be visible and kissable in a carrier.
Any carrier should hold the baby the way you would hold the baby in arms.
This was posted on Facebook by a friend's wife, who recently had a baby. I thought I'd share with everyone here...as just a "Public Service".
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: Interesting article on baby car seats and slings

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:51 am

Good advice!

We've had a number of women come into the clinic with newborns in those big fabric slings. Baby is nuzzled against mom's body and mom can breastfeed easily. As baby gets older, when baby is awake, she can be faced outward, and when sleepy, face toward mom. I'm in love with the slings except that it doesn't allow for too much movement. Another great thing is that it doesn't put undue pressure on the spine like other baby carriers and keeps baby in a natural position.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG