Good Feedback Like Water

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Good Feedback Like Water

Post by Kitsune » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:14 am

I'm planning of making a website for myself later this year, and posting short stories, character histories, drawings, and (most importantly) a full fanfic novel, based on a group of role playing characters me and my friends are toting about Faerun.

Now, since I obviously can't sell this fanfic, nor am I willing to make all the necessary changes to make it a "non-gaming world", I thought it would be the perfect thing to do as a release online, with a chapter every week to two weeks being released.

I finished writing the base history about two of the characters and before I even got a chance to edit it, I had the Game Master (re: guy running the group) ask to see it. I printed off a clean copy for him and made him promise feedback.

He loved the first part! In fact his comment was "It was like going into chapters and taking a book off the shelf". He hated the end of that first chapter, and felt that I placed too little emphasis on certain parts of the histories but overall, he said that as a first edit it was okay. The part that really seemed to frustrate him was that one character becomes obsessive over the other at the end, and as he put it, "Psychotic B**ch" was not how he saw the character.

Still as a first draft, with no editing, being told that he thought the writing was good enough that it was like going into chapters, picking up a book and reading the first chapter was great.

I didn't quite believe him, but I did mention the feedback on a writers chat I'm on. One of the girls there said she would give me a critique, since she doesn't know me and therefore, wouldn't lie about it. I decided to take a chance, but told her that it was unedited thus far.

She got back to me this morning and her comments were similar. "I would buy this from a bookstore, although I might end up throwing it against the wall in frustration" (I'd apparently forgotten to tell her that it was only the first chapter, not a stand alone short story).

Anyways, it's good feedback on the writing side, and most of the problems brought up were either things I knew about (overusing words in the same paragraph) or things that I need feedback on (I was going for obsessed instead of psychotic, for example).

All in all, I think I'm rather pleased. Just... rather pleased.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Good Feedback Like Water

Post by forgotten oceans » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:58 pm

YAY!!! Congratz!!! It's good to know you're still writing, and getting better all the time. :-D
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Re: Good Feedback Like Water

Post by Kitsune » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:05 am

Trust me, I'm ecstatic... Still!

I've been writing more, and am nearly finished a new chapter on the histories. I'm also working on other books as well, so I'm definitely still writing. I'll keep you updated with my successes as I catch them!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews