SNOW!

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

SNOW!

Post by Kystar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:31 pm

I hope those of you who are in the path of the snowstorm hitting the Northeastern USA are safe.

We're staring at something like 6 to 8 inches of snow and it's still coming down.

There's been some power outages in our area...but we're still good.

Just...stay safe.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Re: SNOW!

Post by Kystar » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:52 pm

roughly 22" in our area!

2 feet in the drifts.

We got the walk cleared to the front door...and started digging out my hubby's car. He parked close to the street on our long driveway, so he's easy to dig out. I pulled all the way in...so I'm stuck. Luckily, we have another day before he MUST be on the road (work), and I have nowhere to be fast.

So, hopefully if anyone else was in that storm's path, you're ok.

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:28 pm

Must of been a night for storms! We had a ripper of a thunderstorm through here last night .. The thunder had me jumping up wide awake at 2am this morning. And damn, did she put on a hell of a lightshow! Ahh love a good storm!

Hope anyone caught in the storm that Kystar mentioned is safe and sound.
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:33 pm

I'm a bit too far north to get hit badly by this storm, fortunately. I've had enough of winter for this year.

My thoughts and prayers are with everybody down there. Stay Safe and Warm!
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:42 pm

I hope all of you are safe and sound. Two feet of snow may not sound like much to me, but I know that in most parts of the world, that's tons.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:39 pm

It was enough that two counties declared a State of Emergency. And a whole bunch of small towns/municipalities did too. Almost 100,000 people lost power and a good bit lost water. Of course, since it all fell within twenty-four hours, that was the real problem.

We were in the lucky group, as our power company just updated the poles on our street, which means that the connections were recently redone. That does wonders to reduce the chance of downed lines. We had a conservation order for a while with the water, but not any kind of pressure loss or outage.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:15 am

Glad you are ok, Kystar! Power outages are horrid in winter. I hope you have some alternate source of heat?

Good luck to everyone in your area. And White_Harmony, I'll bet Australia has the best of thunderstorms!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:32 am

Currently, no...unless you count our stove...but it's ok...b/c we've not had any problems with power.

We are planning to purchase a small kerosene heater for emergencies. That way, if in a future winter storm, we loose power, we can just yank that out of its closet and run it.

I have a friend who was out of power almost the whole storm. I haven't checked wit him yet today, but the last time I talked to him, he was ok, just frustrated.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:07 am

Kystar wrote:roughly 22" in our area!
2 feet in the drifts.
:-k

You are awarethat, that is only a two inch difference?

Not much of a drift, if you ask me.

Na. Here we had snow 25/12/09, and it is not gone yet, about 30 to 40 CM deep. In that time we have not had temperatures above +2°, and then only on five seperate days, one in December, two in January, and two the first days of February.

Average has been -7° AT NOON! At night we have had -23° on ten or eleven nights. Other than that an average of -15°, and we are NOT the coldest part of Germany.

In Stralsund in Meklenburg-Vorpommern, the Ost See (Gulf of Bothnia), the sea has been frozen over for three weeks. Trapping ships and ferrys. They have had the first Hamburg harbour ice festival in 30 years (Where the market is on the water of the frozen harbour).

And my flottila is stuck in Kiel by ice. "Why", you may ask, "is the German navy stuck by a little bit of ice ?" (1,5 meters The Canadian Ice Road is only 2 on average).

Well the defence ministry, in it's wonderful, insightfull, and ever so unique way, has sent out only three harbour ice breakers to.... Yes you guessed it, bloody SOMALIA to act as support for the anti piracy flotilla. Well. I HOPE they do not have TOO much ice in Mogadischu this year, I would HATE to see the poor ice breaker boys getting their fingers all nasty and cold. :badgrin:

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:24 am

Bah, there has been almost no snow in Toronto this year. It stinks!!! I love when it snows here, it is warmer for one, and it shuts down the city because we have no place to put the snow.

Even whistler had to truck in snow for the olympics because we just didn`t get enough this year.

I can`t believe how the East got buried I hope you are safe and warm.

Ragnar, they sent icebreakers to Somolia? Really? Excuse me, I have to go headdesk for a minute. My Dad used to build icebreakers, and they are only good for one thing. Oh well, now one said that being a high rank in the military makes you smarter.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:04 am

Ragnar: Brain Fart. I meant to say roughly 18" in our area...22-24" in the drifts. :oops: So, yes, not large drifts, no, but enough to annoy. Though, there IS one drift that ate my parking reflector...so at least a 3 foot drift there.

We're looking at getting another 6 -10 inches by later today and into tomorrow. I hope we don't get that much, because the cleanup from the first dumping isn't even finished. Another 10 inches very well might cripple our area completely.

Oh well. We'll deal with what we have to deal with.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:06 am

Willow.

The trouble is the German navys idea of "multi tasking". They are also supply boats with ice breaker bows, so the can be used all year.

But we only have three. One for each of the main bases, and they sent them all.