Proud of my company

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Proud of my company

Post by Dark Waters » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:39 pm

Just saw this press release from the company I work for, Soutern California Edison. Kinda makes me proud to be working for them:

SCE Achieves Environmental Milestone by Cleaning Up Superfund Site

Among many accomplishments in 2009, SCE achieved a notable first last year when the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) cleared SCE’s only Superfund site from its national priority list of contaminated sites. It’s the only cleaned-up Superfund site to be removed from this list – and SCE completed the remediation 70 years ahead of schedule.

SCE’s Pole Yard in Visalia, where wooden electricity poles were manufactured from Western red cedar trees starting in the 1920s, was cleaned of hazardous waste remaining from the chemicals that had been used to protect the wood. Over the years, approximately 275,000 poles were treated there.

These chemicals had contaminated the groundwater and soil in the immediate area, and in response, the EPA had added the pole yard to its Superfund list in 1989. Superfund is the federal government's program to clean up the nation's uncontrolled hazardous waste sites.

Clean-up efforts for the hazardous waste were executed over many years and confirmed complete last year. The EPA issued a final closeout report, and announced it would officially remove the SCE site from its national priority list.

“We’re thrilled and so is the EPA,” explained Rick Greenwood, director, SCE Environmental Health & Safety. “We took a site that had hazardous contamination, and we cleaned it up.”

An innovative steam injection groundwater and vapor extraction system, devised with help from the University of California Lawrence Livermore Laboratories, helped in removal of contaminants from the soil and groundwater.

“The EPA had expected us to clean up the site by around 2050 but our larger commitment to protecting the environment motivated us to find innovative methods to clean up the hazardous waste as promptly as possible,” Greenwood explained.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

white_harmony

Re: Proud of my company

Post by white_harmony » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:57 pm

Well done! That's a supreme effort!! :-D \:D/
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:44 pm

That's excellent!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:08 am

Fantastic! =D>
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:02 am

That is great!

I must admit, I'm rather pleased with my company as well. I asked if Reiki was on our list to be covered by our benefits. They requested more information on Reiki since they'd never heard of it. Now they're setting up a "Health and Wellness" event for the company in the coming year and Reiki is listed on the list of things we are allowed to choose if we want to see more of it.

Hopefully this means that Reiki will soon be on our list of covered benefits at work.

It's not as substantial as what your company is doing, but it is a good start, especially for the new year.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Rowan
Level 3
Level 3
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by Rowan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:14 am

Dark Waters: This only proves to me that we can do more for the environment, but won't bother unless people's lives are directly and immediately affected. I applaud SCE's efforts.

Kitsune: When you say Reiki will be covered by benefits, does that mean when you are ill you will be able to visit a Reiki practitioner and not have to pay out of pocket? If so, that is fantastic!! If I've misunderstood, please clarify... :oops:
I have lost my way.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:30 pm

Nope that's exactly what it means, Rowan! :-D

At the very least, if it goes through, a set amount will be covered per year, just for Reiki... Most likely around $500 to $1000 a year, covered by the company. Anything over that you'd have to pay for though.

Still, it's such a great advance for the alternative medicines!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Rowan
Level 3
Level 3
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by Rowan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:59 pm

We can't seem to get general health care in order here, much less anything deemed "alternative".
I have lost my way.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:24 pm

My health insurance covers chiropractic care, and in some rare cases, Vitamin supplements...but anything really beyond that is your deal.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

white_harmony

Post by white_harmony » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:25 am

Wow ... That's so completely different to what is starting to appear here in health care rebates. A lot of "alternatives" are starting to receive the thumbs up for it, like acupuncture, some massage therapies, I believe aromatherapy can be covered under one that I saw some information on. I don't know of any that have started on energetic healings like Reiki, but at least it's good to see something happening for it somewhere in the world! Hopefully it will spread! lol
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:07 am

That's great DW. It's nice to know when you've been part of something that made a difference in the world :-)
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde