A Wonderful Familiar

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

A Wonderful Familiar

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:26 am

I brought home my first kitty in 3 3/4 years yesterday, and she is absolutely perfect in every way. No doubt a Familiar, though we're in the initial stages of our relationship. (By the way, the toy in the background was given by my niece who says it's me, haha. It came slightly used. :roll: )

We're already thinking in sync, and I'm not excited to have a cat. It's more of a relief, a feeling of, "She's finally home...." than excitement, because otherwise would mean she was new. She's definitely not new. And no one adopts the black cats, apparently :( She's still healing from a flea infestation (rescue kitty. She has a few patches of thin fur, and many scabs which are healing very well). She is the cuddliest thing I've ever seen, and she definitely loves to play!

I'm still laughing at the witch having her stereotype black cat, but there you go. CHL is a happy CHL ^__^

flyaway: backoff:

I hope everyone's having a great day/night!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Re: A Wonderful Familiar

Post by Kitsune » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:49 am

I wanted a little black one when I went looking for my Jitters... but a witchy friend of mine's cat had just had kittens. No little black baby kittens there. But I wouldn't change my Jitters for anything now.

Ivy is gorgeous though Crazy. You definitely deserve a kitty like that. And she is so incredible!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:51 am

Thanks Kitsune :) I love Jitters! I am very close to orange cats. My best friend was one. We were going to get an orange tabby and name him Mango! (assuming the name fit!)

She hid yesterday, when the kids upstairs starting running around. We couldn't find her. Remembering that every new cat I've ever had has done the same, then re-emerged hours later, sleepy-eyed and yawning while the rest of the family has been searching endlessly (and feeding ideas that someone "let the cat outside"), I wasn't worried, and knew that she would show up soon. Chris was absolutely terrified. (She turned out to be sleeping behind one of the tarantula tanks... haha. Safe, but not a happy place to be... considering cats are their prey in the wild!)

It's an odd, dis.gusting, maternal fascination chopping and watching her eat her food. I'm perfectly happy to do it, and I have baggies of chopped chicken in the freezer (soon to be supplemented with organs, wings, and other muscle meats). You would have thought she'd never eaten before in her life, the way she would take a few bites, come and thank me, then repeat the whole thing. Now her instincts are kicking in, because the last I fed her, she tried to take chunks of meat up into a hidey-hole, a strict no-no for a meat-a-phobe (and anyone sensible with germs). I'm researching supplementation, but she's eating pretty much what she'd eat in the wild, and all the meats are organic (strangely, this way is cheaper than buying a reasonable commercial cat food...) so I'm not worried about hormones and additives getting into her system. I've got a bit more research to do, but I think she will be fine without supplementation (though I may throw in the odd hint of dulse or other sea vegetable) as long as I keep her diet varied, get a good proportion of bones, muscle, and organs, add some omegas (Udo's Oil), and an egg here and there. Some people supplement with taurine, but there's no need if the meat is in chunks, not ground. I'm still experimenting with greens, but I think I'll have to just grow some grass for her, though I'm going to try the green leafs soon. This is a whole new experience for me, not feeding out of a bag! There is something so oddly satisfying about feeding her this stuff.

The cool part is that I'm waking up feeling so rested. I always knew I fell asleep faster when there is a cat in the room, but I'm actually sleeping deeper and better, even if I'm waking up time and time again because she is changing positions. I slept through all the fireworks last night, and I woke up to my alarm bright-eyed and chipper.

We're also introducing her to the rats slowly. As of right now, she's scared of them but very curious. They are just excited for a new member of the family, and the treats they get after each meeting.

Who needs babies when there are furbabies? lol I'll stop my rampage of feline for now... Thank goodness you all have an option to read this or not! Ah... so in love!
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:28 am

you can mix rice with the meat bits for a little bit of fiber for her system.

I know that some cats eat things like spinach or the other high-iron greens.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:10 am

Don't worry Crazy, I think we're all happy to hear about your new kitty.

Kittens are great, and she is obviously very brave to be hiding behind your spider tanks ('cause I have seen your spiders and they are terrifying!). I'm glad she and the rats aren't trying to kill each other. There is a water dish out there where you can buy a container to grow cat grass in it as well... If I can find a link I'll post it for you.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:02 pm

She looks great!

My Ailyn Kitty was the little black runt of his litter, born under my roommate's bed and transported to Sapphire's place wrapped up in my old Army Field jacket.

And feeding raw is wonderful!

Our guys are fully raw now. You've never seen coats with such luster or such nice white teeth! We do supplement with fish oil (cause we can't stand the house smelling of mackerel when we feed raw fish) as well as vitamin C and E.

For a single solitary kitty, that's actually far less expensive than feeding out of a bag of organic cat food.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:25 pm

I didn't know you had raw kitties, Davish! Good for you! Do you have any tips for a raw cat newbie?
Crazy Healer Lady

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:36 pm

She's gorgeous CHL!! And congrats with her being magickal, I've met some cats where I seriously wondered if they weren't brain dead. :-? Happy New Years and blessings to you and all yours!!
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:33 pm

That is Jitters all over... Too dumb to be a familiar, although he certain does want to try. We have developed an understanding between us though. He doesn't meow that it's too dangerous for me, and I won't actually try to do anything dangerous.

On the other hand, he is a fairie hunter... Gremlin has been getting rather annoyed the last year, and hasn't been able to steal much until Joe told him he was allowed back in, but that we weren't going to guarantee Jitters wouldn't hunt him down and expel him again. :lol:

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:04 pm

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:I didn't know you had raw kitties, Davish! Good for you! Do you have any tips for a raw cat newbie?
Not just our cats, but our hounds as well. 13 animals in total. We get our meat from a co-op so it's not much more expensive than feeding high quality dry food - if a bit more gross with all the chopping.

Prepare thyself for an old school Davisherm post for the ages.

We buy mostly chicken leg quarters and backs, as -while the co-op keeps costs lower- feeding 11 dogs and 2 cats is expensive. We try to vary that with pork tails, turkey hearts, duck, and some beef every once in a while. We also provide organ meats like kidney and liver. The chicken backs are great because they still have the kidneys attached, more often than not. Every week or so we'll throw in an egg for everybody. Most wild meat-eating animals will take a certain percentage of bone. You want to try and keep it under 20% but no lower than 10. That's where they get their calcium. With all this we also supplement some vitamins because there are some things you can't get for them, that they'd eat in the wild - that being the contents of their prey's stomach. So vitamin C is important. Fatty Acids and oils are needed. Fish Oil is fine. With the dogs, we just put the capsule in with their meat. The cats are a pit picky. We actually pop them and squeeze it out. It's gross, but better than cutting up fresh fish every few days and doesn't stink up the house.

One of the keys to raw feeding is to not give them something they're going to choke on. Your kitten, if she's already taking to it will do quite well, I think. Our dogs - with the exception of two of the pups were all raised on Kibble before transitioning to raw. So even after a year, they're all still trying to just suck their food down in tiny little bit sized pieces. So we have to cut it up for them, otherwise they'll eat too quickly and choke on it. The younger ones were hand-fed meet on bones and could very easily handle the whole thing with no cutting, but to be sure of safety, we cut theirs up too. With the cats, we do small bones, like wings, just absolutely pulverized as well as bits of the muscle meat and organs. And that's on top of whatever they beg or filch while I'm chopping up the dogs' dinner. Our Ailyn can't get enough of it. He'll literally take a third of a drum stick out of the bowl and slink off with it while my back is turned!

For an inside cat, a bit of grass is good. They're naturally carnivores but every now and again will need to get some green it's not an every day occurrence. Cat foods with vegetables usually have them in as fillers as the cat's body will literally not do anything with it except poop it out. (Speaking of poop, one of the benefits of a natural diet for your cat or dog is that almost nothing is wasted. Their poos are much smaller and far more easily dealt with.) Grass is a good idea. I've heard that it settles their stomach. I've also heard that they intentionally eat it to make themselves throw up to get something bad out. I haven't actually done any research, but I know that my cat will eat grass from time to time. So having a little bit of kitty grass isn't a bad idea. Just get yourself a nice sized tray and go dig up some sod from someplace. No need to do pet shop stuff. They'll charge way too much for it anyway.

Raw feeding your pets is as close to letting them hunt and kill their own food as you can get if you live in the city or have an inside Kitty. It's just a great way of getting them back to nature.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:47 pm

Fantastic! I was actually going to buy some rye/wheat/etc seeds and plant them in a flat of earth in the house for the kitty.

Thank you so much for all that!
Crazy Healer Lady

Rowan
Level 3
Level 3
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by Rowan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:26 am

Lovely kitty CHL. :)
I have lost my way.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Thank you very much ^_^

She just discovered the tarantulas today... Going to have to make some rearrangements there, though she listens really well :p
Crazy Healer Lady

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:20 pm

Cute Kitty. LOL. So, was she worried or what? Tell us the story! Or at least send me an email with the story... I want to hear about this one!

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:35 pm

The story of her and the tarantulas? Nothing huge; I was just about to read the PL posts when I saw her watching the T tanks intently. Both nervous and intrigued, she was inching closer. Shiva (my Rosie) was crawling around the tank, looking for either water droplets or females. A few noises made her know that they're not to be messed with. Shiva's pretty good, but he will attack anything that moves. Luckily he doesn't climb the top of the tank, but I still don't want her sleeping on it!

She is pretty scared of the rats, though! Although now she's getting veerrrrrry interested in their movements. Of the fish? I don't think she knows it exists. She just wants to eat the bamboo! She is very good though. We only need to tell her once (or the odd twice) to leave something alone, and I always try to explain it to her.
Crazy Healer Lady