Awkward Happenings-

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12
Zodiac: Libra

Awkward Happenings-

Post by Hytegia » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:54 pm

Well, Yule was fun. Got Smashed, Hammered, and made it home safely after a small party where only 4 of us knew what the term "Yule-time Party" means (the rest were there for booze and broads (- hope it's not offencive?)). It was a hit, and all went well.
Sung Karaoke and blew away "What I Got" by Sublime and "Black Betty" by the Rolling Stones.

---------------

It's not Yule I'm talking about, however:
It's the Christmas I had to attend a few days later...
December 24-26 I have to confront slews of Christian themes and heavy hauls of awkward glares at my Pennacle as I sing Christmas Carrols (Traditions never die - Pagan, or not). Awkward silence at the mirror with the verse: "The Lord is my Shepard - I shall not want" on a wonderfully etched and expensive mirror.

And I'm only on Christmas Eve!

So, I'm leaving this thread for other people to talk about other Awkward confrontations they had on Christmas/Copy-Yule celebrations they might be mentally obliged to attend.
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Crazy Healer Lady

Re: Awkward Happenings-

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:29 pm

So far with me, just a few double takes at my "Om" shirt (my warm red shirt with the Om symbol and some spirals). Hey, I was tired, I went to work in fancy pants and dirty runners. Usually I don't wear religious symbols unless I can slip them out of view so that the managers don't have a reason to tell me that I can't wear them, but today I knew very few people would be in, and the "Om" has become superficial in popular culture anyway. I have had western people go, "Oh, the yoga symbol!" and a group of Indian men crowd around me very excited and happy that I would be wearing it. I am rambling now, night night!

Edit to add: PS Merry Christmas to those that celebrate it :)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:57 am

Hytegia wrote:Well, Yule was fun. Got Smashed, Hammered, and made it home safely after a small party where only 4 of us knew what the term "Yule-time Party" means
But embarassingly getting the date wrong.

Yule is the full height of the first full moon AFTER 21/12.

Therefore, this year Jule falls on New years eve.

It goes by Stars, moon AND sun. NOT just the sun.

It is like a clock. The stars gives the day. The sun gives the hour. The moon gives the minute.

The likes of stonehenge and woodhenge, gave it to within the second. But over a couple of thousand years, the position of the Earth relative to the stars changes. Without the computers of NASA, we have to judge it as best we can.

BUT! I have heard of a project in Europe that aims to build a MODERN "stonehege".

It is all under wraps at present, but it looks good up to now.

HAVING SAID THAT!
I am made up for those of you who enjoyed your celebrations.

May they LOOOONNNNGGGG continue, and grow. :wav:

And for those around that celebrate christmas, I know there are a few, hav YOURSELVES a very merry time as well!!! :hug:

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:06 pm

Eh.
It's not the Date - it's what you celebrate ON the Date. :D

I celebrate the rebirt of the Sun and the promise of warmer and brighter things to come.
Nor any drop to drink."

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:32 pm

Hytegia wrote:Eh.
It's not the Date - it's what you celebrate ON the Date. :D

I celebrate the rebirt of the Sun and the promise of warmer and brighter things to come.
But it does not reach it's height on the same date every year. That is why you need the moon as well.

We are talking the REAL world/galaxy here, and not some spurious piece of paper with numbers on, picked out of a hat by some 16th century pope or other, or by an over rated village chieftain who was at the right place at the right time to be made Roman Emperor before him.

It has worked for my family since we do not know when, but my Great Great Grandmother was taught it by HER Great Grandmother, and passed it foreward to the family until today. So....

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:08 am

Funny, I thought Yule was the solstice celebration when the days started to get longer. My understanding was it was one of the eight "Wheel of the Year" sabbats for the sun celebrations as opposed to the 13 esbats for full moon celebrations (or 26 for full and new moons). All the current reference material I have seemed to state that - however it isn't much and there are nearly as many celebration traditions as there are people to celebrate them. No matter how or when you celebrate - everybody have a good time - but be safe.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:45 am

Dark Waters wrote:however it isn't much and there are nearly as many celebration traditions as there are people to celebrate them. No matter how or when you celebrate - everybody have a good time - but be safe.
CORRECT! :-D

My Sister had a LOAD of stuff on working out the exact point of when the solstice actualy takes place. Even to the extent of working out the nine yearly "dead months", like the 29/02, but for a whole month, to keep the whole thing in check.

BUT, with all the other important stuff, from family photgraphs, to birth certificates, and the personal records.... ahh, what do Wiccans call it now? Diarys/books of spells, knowledge, etc??? ALL her own MASSIVE work on Rune lore (3 or 4 THOUSAND pages!!!)

Any way, on one mad episode, which lasted a week, whilst my Grandmother was away with the reindeer (NO that is NOT the same as "away with the fairys"! :lol: ), and all the men were at sea, she burned the LOT. :-#

If she was not already dead (both physicaly AND Schamanisticaly (My Grandmother declared her "Wolfshead")), I would bloody KILL the cow! :evil:

She ALSO had an aversion to "Referencing", which did not help anyway.

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:09 pm

Eh - if you check correctly, the rest of the Magickal world goes by the Sun on this one.

They noticed that as the days got longer it began to change the world. Not the Stars, the Moon, or any other force of nature made it Hotter or Cooler to such a degree. It could be argued the ancients went by the SUN'S movement for the Sabbats.

:/
I'm pretty sure that's the way it's been in every single book and reference I've read - even on the site.

It's not a matter of HANDING DOWN DATES. The Holiday is the Sun's return. Plain and simple. It's the REASON for the SEASON. X.x The date changes simply because the Sun is returning to the Earth.
Nor any drop to drink."

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:58 pm

Let's not argue, as it has been mentioned, different paths celebrate different events and dates. Remember, even Christmas was once on the Solstice until the Calendars changed, but the tradition didn't.

Also it is a time of celebration not disagreement. Heck as modern pagans we can celebrate from the Solstice on 12/21 to the Secular New Year on 01/01. Party On!
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:46 am

Dark Waters wrote:Let's not argue, as it has been mentioned, different paths celebrate different events and dates. Remember, even Christmas was once on the Solstice until the Calendars changed, but the tradition didn't.

Also it is a time of celebration not disagreement. Heck as modern pagans we can celebrate from the Solstice on 12/21 to the Secular New Year on 01/01.
Which THIS year is Jule.
Dark Waters wrote: Party On!
Quite.

Noisy as well.

It is the night when Germany sets of more fireworks than is good for them.

In fact 2000, 2005 and 2008, the smoke from fireworks caused the THREE Berlin airports to close until day light!