How do you handle...

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Rowan
Level 3
Level 3
Zodiac: Aquarius

How do you handle...

Post by Rowan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:04 am

... fearing that which your beliefs tell you to embrace?

Yesterday morning around 5 am, my neighbour's house was struck by lightning twice which resulted in a fire. It didn't burn to the ground, thankfully, and both she and her son as well as their dog were unharmed. That's the summary of things.

When I told the full story to a friend of mine, her first response was "fires close to home can be unsettling" which hit the mark dead on. I crawled into bed last night and every time I closed my eyes I saw the flames again shooting up into the sky. The sky was clear (relatively so) but I kept expecting a repeat of the previous night's storm.

I've never really been afraid of thunderstorms, though as I child I didn't care for them at night because the noise kept me awake. I outgrew that so I don't really count it as a fear. But now I am concerned that I will have sleepless nights in the future, when a thunderstorm creeps up on us and I lay awake in my bed waiting for lightning to strike the roof of my house or some other neighbour's house.

I pose the question the way I have because I know thunderstorms are part of nature, that which we as pagans embrace, and I don't want to fear something I feel otherwise connected to on a spiritual level.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this? Am I assuming too much at this point due to my nerves being a little frayed? Should I run outside and ](*,) ?
I have lost my way.

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: How do you handle...

Post by Dark Waters » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:53 pm

Being nervous, for I would hardly describe your reaction as fear, under those conditions is perfectly normal. I still am constantly nervous about intruders in the house, and it keeps me up sometimes, because waaay back when I was like 8, burglars broke into our house and stayed for a week while we were on vacation. Later when I was 15, different house, someone smashed a rock through a side door and robbed us.

Still there are simple practical things that you can do. Drive some bare copper rods into the ground, or lay bare copper wire in a grid under the turf (less than 2" down) in a corner of your yard. This are grounding (lightning) rods that may draw the bolt away from the house. However, a properly grounded house conducts lightning to the water pipes, and there are things you can do to prevent damage. If you have a chimney, strap a copper rod with a wire down the side away from the house and clamp it to a external faucet.

One of the things we love and respect about Natural Forces is how powerful they are and how little control we have over them. But respect and caution is the key and we can live in harmony with them.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:21 pm

I'd say it's completely normal to feel how you are right now. You've endured some trauma, and that will take some time to heal.

There are many Pagans who are afraid of certain animals. Those animals are said to be totems that represent lessons that those people need to learn. Lightning is very unpredictable. Maybe it's reason was to help you feel more comfortable with the unpredictability of Nature and an ability to feel safe and grounded even without the comfort of familiar things.

In the meantime, big hugs. That's a scary thing to happen.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Rowan
Level 3
Level 3
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by Rowan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:44 am

Thanks Healer Lady. :) Still having trouble settling down at night and more rain is due today and not moving out til tomorrow afternoon. I sleep with my window open in winter because it doesn't get that cold down here in the South and I woke around 2 this morning to strange sounds outside my window. The wind was moving around the dried leaves, but before I realised what it was I was too scared to look out the window. Not because I was afraid of finding someone outside my window, but because I was afraid of seeing my neighbour's house. :-( I'm just glad I don't have to work tomorrow, because I have a feeling I will be awake a lot tonight if there's a thunderstorm.
I have lost my way.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:07 am

I think nature always involves a healthy dose of respect. Your fear is normal and will fade over time.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)