Is it wrong ... ?

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Is it wrong ... ?

Post by Dark Waters » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:00 am

Sometimes I enjoy the stereotypyes and gods awful comedies that misrepresent us. Guilty Pleasure I guess.
Even when they get it SO very wrong, it can really be funny.

I've been having a bit of a mini Samhain marathon these past few nights.

Vampire in Brooklyn
Love at First Bite
The Covenant
The Craft
Practical Magic

Oh well ... let the giggles continue
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

raventears
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Is it wrong ... ?

Post by raventears » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:12 pm

I love The Craft and Practical Magic.Even though they are not the most acurate they are still alot of fun.
jack skellington is my husband

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Hytegia » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:11 pm

The Craft FTW!
:]
I loved how it played the storylines in an epiphermeal quest for power.

It's what Mage/Witch/Magick stories should be about - you have a Foil Character "Wise One" in the background of the story while you have the rest of the Characters either seeking power beyond their control or standing by and watching out for themselves. It all makes for a fantastic tale, and an epic movie.

AGH! KITS, WHERE ARE YOU WHEN I START RAMBLING ABOUT PLOT DEVELOPMENT IN GOOD STORIES?!
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:12 pm

I'm somewhat back now... just checking up on stuff. I will be back at both forums as of Monday evening again to check everything.

Just remember, that while you're waxing on poetically about other people's storylines, you can start writing up one of your own following that idea. Think about the characters as thoygh you were running the game, and not just your single character. If you start writing from that perspective it can be a big help! Especially since it will keep you writing since you love the story idea.

And it's always good to watch movies or read books that we loved, even while we're writing ourselves. By reading or watching what others have done that you really liked, you're more likely to note what you like, and have a better chance of pulling it off in your own work.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:15 am

I love Practical Magic and The Craft. It's not often do you see platonic (or non platonic for that matter) love stories between women. Love it. I so want that house in Practical Magic as well!
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:45 am

I hated the Underworld Series and the Covenent......

Aimply because they ripped off the White-Wolf game series, of which I am an undieing Fan!

>.< CURSE YOU LIONGATE FILMS! CURSE YOU TO THE HAPPOMITS OF GIDDLYSWONK~ MAY YOU BE EATEN BY THE JABBERWINK.

/British Literature reference. :P
Nor any drop to drink."

Rowan
Level 3
Level 3
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by Rowan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:37 am

I think it's more wrong for those who are non-pagans to see any of these movies and assume that's how all of us are.

Has anyone (in the US) seen Eastwick? I know it's supposed to debut in the UK in 2010, but not sure about anywhere else. I never liked the movie, but I do like this show.
I have lost my way.

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:12 pm

I LOVE Practical Magic!!!! The book was ok, the movie was better, but I'm a Nicole Kiddman fan, and Sandra Bullock. The Craft was good too. The Covenant's great on those nights when I wanna watch hot guys be cool. Underworld, I wasn't impressed with...at all. But I really liked Blood and Chocolate. Eastwick the movie was one of the first witch-y movies I ever saw, so for nostalgia sake, I liked it, and I like the series as well. I remember as a kid staying up late to watch the old reruns of Bewitched, good times. :lol:

I don't think its wrong, I think it's necessary for spiritual development. I think it's nice to know that I can just relax and enjoy a movie for what it is, entertainment and a flight of fantasy. Sometimes, you just have to be able to have fun with your faith/religion. If you don't you end up some crazy fundie. ;)
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:26 pm

Rowan wrote:Has anyone (in the US) seen Eastwick? I know it's supposed to debut in the UK in 2010, but not sure about anywhere else. I never liked the movie, but I do like this show.
Eastwick has started showing out here. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to catch any of the episodes yet.

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:30 pm

You know what was a theme related to Wicca and the like?

The Wicker Man.

Great Movie. Twisted ending. Exciting Plot...
Yet, the Witches burn him in a massive sacrificial Wicker man at the end. Very disappointing for Nicholas Cage.
Nor any drop to drink."

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:47 am

You liked that movie?

It was hard enough to find a protaganist in that movie, let alone someone that you could identify as "hero". All in all, it rather disappointed me, but I'm glad you liked it. Perhaps it's just that I had such high hopes that I wasn't able to truly enjoy it... :-k
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Rowan
Level 3
Level 3
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by Rowan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:10 am

Dark Waters wrote:
Rowan wrote:Has anyone (in the US) seen Eastwick? I know it's supposed to debut in the UK in 2010, but not sure about anywhere else. I never liked the movie, but I do like this show.
Eastwick has started showing out here. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to catch any of the episodes yet.
I've watched all the episodes on Hulu.com, Dark Waters. ;)
I have lost my way.

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:51 am

Kitsune wrote:You liked that movie?
"Enjoy" doesn't necessarily mean "like." :D
But I think it did reveal the desperations of Humanity and the twisted endings it can wrought for your obsessions. A pinch of cult and a hint of dark magick, and you have the Wicker Man.
Nor any drop to drink."

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:32 am

forgotten oceans wrote:The Covenant's great on those nights when I wanna watch hot guys be cool.

This was actually the first time I have ever watched The Covenant, although I had been meaning to see it off and on for years. What really made me laugh during that movie were the big fight scenes. The first thing that came to mind was "OMG it's telekenetic tae-bo" and "I didn't know Billy Blanks trained wizard to fight". *snicker*

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:48 pm

This was actually the first time I have ever watched The Covenant, although I had been meaning to see it off and on for years. What really made me laugh during that movie were the big fight scenes. The first thing that came to mind was "OMG it's telekenetic tae-bo" and "I didn't know Billy Blanks trained wizard to fight". *snicker*
HAHAHAH!!!! :lol: OMG!! That movie's like Young Guns only urban and witchy. 'Plot? What?!? Oh look!! Verile young studs. Let us all oggle the eye candy.' :rolleyes:
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me