Navy Boy - A Pagan Medic

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12
Zodiac: Libra

Navy Boy - A Pagan Medic

Post by Hytegia » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:11 am

:]
I'm joining the Navy, and am applying to be a Medic...

Just an update - and if it doesn't work out I could always apply to be a Pagan Chaplin, and either get the job or get routed by Politics with an honorable discharge (Lol. Jk)

But I would have loved to have been a Medic and a Chaplin. I'd be authorized to sew you up when you accidently throw the pin instead of the Grenade, and if you're some form of Wiccan/Pagan I can do the Rites with you!

FUN FACTS: TECHNICALLY any Chaplin must humor the Death Rites of the induvidual as per their Dog Tag, reguardless of "Christian Only" Chaplinship - and must perform any Rites dictated in the General Chaplin handbook that call for spacific things (for instance, the rare on-base Wedding).
I might have to look into it more, but - I think that we have our own little section in there!
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Navy Boy - A Pagan Medic

Post by Kystar » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:20 am

Good luck.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:54 am

Hey being a medic is a great idea. It's good to have direction and just go for it. Good luck Hytegia :-) :Luck:
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:49 am

Best wishes! Is there any reason you can't do both? I remember the Chaplin in the MASH series helping in the O.R. pretty regular, but maybe that was because of the war? :-k Anyways, good luck. :-D
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Rowan
Level 3
Level 3
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by Rowan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:29 am

Hytegia wrote::]I'd be authorized to sew you up when you accidently throw the pin instead of the Grenade...
That made me giggle Hytegia. :-D Best of luck to you. I hope things work out well in your favour. I'm sure you will serve well, no matter what your role is. :)
I have lost my way.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:04 am

Good luck,
if you are seriously interested in chaplaincy I would say go for it, but I have talked to some people in Canada, and they say it is by far one of the hardest (emotionally) jobs in the military. In Canada a chaplain also does many of the same job as a social worker and it takes many years of training. That being said, if you think you can be sensitive to the beliefs and needs of that many people look into it.

one of my good buds is a medic currently in Afghanistan. He loves his job. Go for it and good luck!
Shelly
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Hytegia » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:29 pm

Here's the U.S. Army's Chaplain Manual (which I assume is the same as the rest of them, since Chaplain is generally the same for all services) for stances on Wiccan Beliefs-

http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_usbk.htm
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:16 pm

Honestly, that's not a bad "Boil down" of things, if you don't object to such broad sweeping generalities. To be used to explain the basic Pagan belief/structure to other religious types, it is a good nutshell version.

I can see how, while they don't agree with the beliefs, this could make Chaplains of Christian sects understand a bit more about our viewpoint.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!