It's October...

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

It's October...

Post by Kitsune » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:36 am

*** Kitsune quietly slinks off into the corner, and then pulls out a large box. Dusting it off, she looks at everybody suspiciously before jumping up ***

Okay guys, it is getting to be that time of year again.

It time for NaNoWriMo!

Once again, It is that Crazy time of year and in a month from now, I and over a hundred and twenty thousand other people will be taking part in NaNoWriMo, where we will all attempt to write at least 50,000 words, a novel, during the month of November.

I think everybody should join especially all of you writers our there. It proves to us that we can reach the goals we set, and even if we didn't, we still gain the benefit of writing more in a month than we would have normally!

They say that every author writes at least 7 - 10 miserable failures of books before he can write well enough to write the first book that a publisher will take.

Write another miserable book with me, so that we can all get closer to reaching that good writing space!

As well, I am holding my second contest over at the Writers Retreat for Nanowrimo. You have to sign onto the board (see my link in my signature) to get a copy of the rules and see what the prize is, but I hope to see all of you writers there. At least for this month, even if you don't become a consistent member!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Re: It's October...

Post by Willow » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:21 pm

Can I use it for my thesis?

No novel time right now :-( , despite having what I think might be a cool idea.

Good luck though!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:24 pm

Thanks... Well, perhaps you can join in with a vastly lower wordcount for the month. Go for a Novella of 10,000 words instead! :lol:

We'll be missing you as we cross the finish line either way!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:22 pm

LOL, you are nothing if not relentless, I think I will be good if I get out two blog posts this month.

What is this book of yours about?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:53 pm

I'm using the same characters as last year, but this time I'm putting them in a completely different plot (you know since last years turned out to have no story or villian).

I've found that I prefer dark fantasy, so I'm still having a base story about a romance between a demon and a human, but the catch is that the bad guy is actually their friend, the lord's son.

It's should be awesome... especially since this time I've done some plotting before Nano started.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:25 pm

Cool, have you read Terry goodkind at all? I am reading some of his stuff and having trouble with some of the torture/rape scenes. But in a way I find it refreshing because sometimes it seems like fantasy authors write a lot about war without actually talking about a lot of the bad stuff that goes along with it. Anyway, is it that kind of dark (descriptive) or just darker general themes.
Hmmm, demon human romance, there is some stuff in the Bible about angels breeding with humans. I wonder if there is a theme there you can incorporate/allude too, I have heard that fantasy authors like to allude to previously existing myths sometimes. Although now that I give it a second thought, I am sure that theme also exists in other cultures as well . Anyway, tell me if I am being annoying, processes intrigue me almost as much as the finished product.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:00 pm

Nope, you're not getting annoying yet. :lol:

I really enjoying writing not only the darker aspects but incorporating the darker themes.

In this book for instance, the lord's son is obsessed/in love with the human that the demon is interested in. He wants to make him happy, but also doesn't want him to learn to find happiness on his own either, because it would alienate him. He doesn't care much about the demon, until the demon gets too close to "his" guy. Then he tricks the demon into thinking that she has to leave. When she acts casual about having to leave, the lord's son must accept his enforced captivity (due to his high social status). However, he decides that it's easier to blame all of his issues on her. She has to get out of the country, and convince her lover to give up duty and honour for love.

The base theme I'm working with... Nothing comes without a cost. With side themes of Jealousy distorts Love, Freedom in a Gilded Cage.

I haven't figured it all out yet, and I'm still definately open to suggestions. I don't think I'll be incorporating too much of the demon/humans mating idea. Only because that is a theme for the next book when she finds out that she and her love can't have children, so she lets him marry a local woman. Eventually, of course, she hasn't aged and he dies of old age. His asks that she take his eldest son back to the Lord's son (who is now thoroughly evil and ruling his land) to take up his fathers position. She then has to deal with the son falling in lust with her, and her having to constantly remind herself that this is the son of her love with another woman... so no love story, regardless of how much he reminds her of his father at that age. :-"

All of that probably doesn't make too much sense... but I'm loving it!

Like I said though, definately open to suggestions, and you're thoughts on it. For example, if you're left with the thought "Lame" I can figure out what is lame and change it to make it less so, hopefully. ](*,)

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:41 pm

Willow wrote:Hmmm, demon human romance, there is some stuff in the Bible about angels breeding with humans. I wonder if there is a theme there you can incorporate/allude too, I have heard that fantasy authors like to allude to previously existing myths sometimes.
In Sara Douglas' trilogy "The Crucible" she actually uses the angels breeding with humans thing ... Throws it back into medieval kind of time England/France ... And plays with history and bible stories/people in the bible. She does it in such a way that she's not romanticising or ... making it look horrible (I can't think of a better way to put it atm ... Brains half dead) ... But was a very dark, very interesting read. I quite enjoyed the series to be honest.
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:44 am

Thanks, I will look at those books.

Kitsune that sounds pretty cool. I won't ask any more questions because I plan to read the thing when you publish it!
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:00 am

Thanks. I'm hoping that since this time I've spent some time working on plot, I'll have an easier time of producing something edit worthy, without needing an entire plot reworking and then rewrite to correct the changes.

I'll send you a sample chapter or something at the end of the month though... Something minorly edited, but otherwise just a taste. Oh, or i could send you a few of my "snippets" from my two year writing course. I have a couple of pages of stuff written out for that book. Perhaps you could give me your ideas on that one.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:02 pm

Anytime m'dear, anything to procrastinate on the thesis.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:42 pm

I'll take a look when I get back home on Monday and email you something. I don't have any full chapters, but I can definitely send you a few pages worth of material. :-D

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:45 am

Okay, last post glorifying Nanowrimo before Nanowrimo actually begins (I'll try not bash you over the heads with it again until I start posting my wordcount).

This is actually just a final reminder that Nanowrimo begins next Sunday at 12:01am. I would love to see any and all of you there writing novels, no matter how unlikely that may be. :-D :lol:

A final reminder for those of you who visit my other website, The Writers Retreat, make certain you stop on by! I'm having my Nanowrimo contest again, and the details are over there.

I just can't wait! If you're not already involved, why not? (Because, you know, there is no good excuse :badgrin: )

I'm running away to make certain that I have everything finished before November! That way I won't have to worry about non-Nano things until December! outtahere:

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:35 am

I'm finding it really hard not to write before November. Am trying to keep within the rules! 5 days left until my pen can hit the paper running.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:41 pm

I know, Max... it's killing me too.

You can do what I'm doing. I've been working on characgter dossiers, plotting scene by scene and worldbuilding. The more information I have about my world, the easier it should be to write. Plus it makes me feel better since I'm still working on the project.

It's all that keeps me sane during these last five days.