What will happen in 2012

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
bblankfein
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Libra

What will happen in 2012

Post by bblankfein » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:18 am

Hello.
I am interested in 2012, notably - the Mayan prophecy about the end of the world 12.21.2012. Many people talk about it now, besides, the movie comes out soon. I'm interested to read something about it. Disclosing this theme.
Advise me some articles please.

Thank you

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Re: What will happen in 2012

Post by davisherm » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:27 am

I don't really subscribe to the 2012 prophecies and it's not really anything I've had cause to look into. As a starting point though, you might try Google and sift through the results for inspiration.

On a humorous note, a webcomic that I read is currently in a story arc that deals with the origins of the 2012 idea. It involves the demon world and an sentient machine that is eons old. Also Atlantis and ancient Egypt and the Mayan god of Alcohol. http://www.wapsisquare.com/ Good stuff.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:58 pm

It's supposed to be an interesting year, although I can't remember any specific dates.

There are supposed to be a couple of sun storms that will be large enough to effect earth, the earth's magnetic north is supposed to hit the apex of it's flip (or is that in 2018 and the flip starts in 2012?), a very large asteroid is supposed to come within a few miles of Earth's atmosphere, closer than any of the ones previous.

There is quite a list, but I can't remember the rest of it.

Personally, I'm expecting it to be interesting, but not humanities final year... I subscribe to the notion that the Mayans saw how close the asteroid was coming and decided that since it was close enough to hit, it was definitely close enough to do damage, with the size being enough to bring chaos by destroying a significant portion of their expected populace. Or something like that. :-D

I'm certainly not a scholar on it, but it is quite entertaining to look into it!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:38 pm

I had heard from a few people that I talk with about things like this, that it's meant to be the end of the 9th cycle ... Don't ask me what that means, cause I can't remember ... Also something about the end of the age of Aquarius? I could be wrong, but as I don't follow up on things like this, the details don't stick with me.
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:35 am

From all account from actual Mayan researchers, all 2012 and the end of the calendar means is that they expect a major change as the large cycle restarts. Similar to the Chinese calander which actually has a 60 year cycle - the 12 animals through cycles of 5 elements - the restart is supposed to be a major time of change. Nothing in the Prophecies are actually "End Of The World"!

Also when reading about the prophecies, you have to take stuff with a large grain of salt. Many of the supposed prophecies attribute far greater astronomical knowledge than what was realistically a rather primitive civilization. Black Holes at the center of the Galaxy, planets not visible without telescopes, etc.

It will be a time of change, not of apocolypse. If you do go see the movie, enjoy it for what it is - a work of fiction. Like the Da Vinci Code, whose own author admits it is fiction, but too many people saw it as real.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:59 am

No offense but the whole 2012 theory seems to scream to me simply a lack of foresight, rather then preordained future sight, largely along the lines of the whole 2000 turnover and the mass concern over turning over a 99 to 00. Just because they hadn't taken it into account 30 yrs prior. I'm quite certain that several 1000s of years was considered a good enough for the length for a calender back in the Mayan era.

I'm willing to stand by my statement. If I'm wrong may we all be horribly crushed from above somehow. :axe:
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:35 am

What will be will be, but whose to say it might not just be a time of change.

At least I have two years to live it up in the meantime!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

white_harmony

Post by white_harmony » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:05 pm

Aye Willow, that's the one thing everyone seems to agree upon. It will be a time of change. No one knows quite which way the changes will happen ... So I'm sitting back and quietly asking the universe for a happy and good change, something that benefits everyone everywhere in some small way at the least :-D
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~