My Book

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

My Book

Post by Kitsune » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:48 pm

Everybody remembers that right... last year I wrote a book, and I've been running through edits and rewriting since.

Well, today I finally figured out what was delaying my editing process so much and why the rewrite wasn't working like I wanted it to... #-o :roll: #-o :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't have a plot or a villain!

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Well, this means that I'm going to have to actually do plotting and more characterization and then re-write the darned thing. :roll: :roll: :roll:

On the other hand, instead of getting pissy about it, I've decided that this is why I'm still learning, and not a published author yet.

So, my Nanowrimo this year will a rewrite of the Seirei story of last year, this time with more plotting to actually make a cohesive story this time.

On the other hand, I'd offered a few people a chance to read my story... if you really want to read bad writing I can still send a chapter or two to you or you can wait until I've got it rewritten (my choice, but I don't want to disappoint you guys).

I originally saw these issues, but thought that I could fix them up in the rewrite. Now I know that you simply can't do it that way... this is stuff that you should have an idea about before you write it.

And now, I'll be off to relax my tendonitis injured arm, although I'm now back at work on light duties at least.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: My Book

Post by Kystar » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:12 pm

You CAN write a story without a "villain"...but they're not always engaging. Though, my two sort-of books don't have any clear villains...a few sort of not-nice characters...but no clear villain. Then again, the stories are both "finding your path" sort of stories...Not epic battles between good and evil.

I have to call this one an "oops" moment. :lol:

And, no, I'm not EXACTLY laughing at you, dear. I'm sort of laughing with you...provided you're laughing!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:39 pm

I'm laughing... I always thought the dragon at the end of my book was my villain. It just occured to me today that he couldn't be the overarching villain... He was never mentioned prior to his arrival, the group didn't know that there would be a dragon, and he really had no reason to attack the party beyond "they were in my way..."

And while my "plot" is very entertaining to me, the main female character doesn't even get a love interest rival until 3/4 the way through the story. :lol:

I always joke that my mind turns off during the summer... and that's really the only excuse I can come up with for missing that. Other than, "I finished my first book!!! Yah!!!" sort of enthusiam.

At the very least, I can consider myself in the top percentage of unpublished writers...

After all I have,
1. Completed an entire rough draft for a novel.
2. Tried to revise it.
3. Realized I needed to re-plot and re-write the thing.
4. Actually didn't get angry at the fact, and started doing so (or will start tomorrow... I'm going really easy on my hands while they're healing).

I figure, even with this setback, I'm still ahead of those who can't write one in the first place, and can't get past the revising the first chapter to start writing the rest. And I saw my mistakes... It may have taken me 10 months, but I did it, without needing a publisher or my friends to tell me so.

This means (in my optomism :roll: :lol: ) that I am becoming a better writer, because I am learning from my mistakes. Right?
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:46 pm

I'd say.

At least you understand the pitfalls you hit...and can approach the re-write with a fair bit of an informed angle.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:06 pm

Sometimes, books are meant for ourselves :) I wrote a lot of "back story" to my novel that had no real plot or anything. No one would enjoy it except someone as obsessed about my story as me. Conversations here, battles there, things I felt were cohesive to my hero's character but had no place in the book, an alternate ending, etc. All of that is gone now, unfortunately, with my last computer (my fat old Mac that had a floppy drive!)

Perhaps this can be "your" story, and the re-write for public, and they can exist as two separate entities. And then, also, maybe when you're a famous writer, and people are drooling for that next tidbit of info about your characters, you can release it as an "alternate universe - previously unpublished" creation.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:35 am

"The Book of Seirei, Book 1 (Ominous voice)... (Add in Used Car Salesman voice here) The first Bestselling novel of author Kitsune can now be seen in an unedited format, her first rough draft of the book. Get an inside view, first hand, of how this author thinks!!! Find out interesting tidbits, such as why she didn't think a plot or villain were needed for this novel!"

:lol: :roll:

Yep, that'll fill 'em with confidence!

On the other hand, I now have 18 members on my Writers Forum. For those of you who joined up, and haven't been chatting on there, can I request that you all jump on and chat for a week or so? With my hand out of action for the moment, I haven't been able to properly welcome all these new members. :-({|=

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:20 am

Well, my and my one sister-in-spirit are two of your newbies, so don't really worry about welcoming me!

Frankly, I found the "behind the scenes" book to Edding's Belgariad and Mallorean Series to be interesting. He laid out the traditional dress, historical livelihood, money system, government system, and what ethnic group in our world he was drawing from, for each kingdom. It was neat...and I could see where some of it made it into the books and where some didn't. The original sketch of his world was cool too.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:05 am

Kitsune, I shouldn't laugh, but that made my day. I can't even begin to say how many students have come in to my office with trouble writing, I take one look at their outline an tell them, "You can't write because you have nothing to say."(Not that you have nothing to say, :oops: but it is a similar situation).

I still want to read the thing when you are done! Do you have any idea how boring my thesis is right now? I need ome excitement!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:32 pm

As soon as I have something to say (and the skill to say it), you'll be able to read it.

A friend on another board (whom I believe is a professional author as well) told me that I was looking at it too negatively. She said that the fact that I could tell what I was missing showed just how much I have improved in the last year.

She also threw in that it takes some writers seven or more books before they can do what I just did, which is identify a problem in a manuscript. Hopefully that means I'm on the right track!

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:12 pm

I think I've read some of those books. I swear some people get a 5 book contract based on a stellar first book and then write a series that could be told in 500 pages.

I LOVED Eddings, but David and Leigh were very good at that. One of the reasons I love the Redemption of Althalus so much is because it's all the best parts of both the Belgariad/Mallorean and Elenium/Tamuli whipped together and turned out into a fantastic story. In one book.

And aye, to recognize that your work has a deadly flaw is definitely a good sign. Another of my favorites - Orson Scott Card - had written something like 700 pages of work on one of his Ender books before he realized that it wasn't working and he had gotten away from what he was trying to say. He had to scrap almost all of it and start over. That series is better for it.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:58 am

Your friend is right, I will often convince myself I am a lousy academic/writer, then my professor (metphorically) slaps me upside the head and says, technically, I am a ten year old academic comparing myself to 30 year olds. It will be years before I can do what they do.

Side note, I liked Elantris by Brandon Sanderson, there are definitely not enough one shot writers out there in the fantasy world.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)