Seasonal, part-time job potential.

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Seasonal, part-time job potential.

Post by Kystar » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm

So, my elder s-i-s convinced me to go to the local amusement park and put an application in for their Halloween thing. I'm doing that tomorrow...don't know if I'll get in...the fact that I have a DEGREE in theatre should help...but meh, I'm 30 years old...they're probably going to be confused. backoff:

Anyways...what's prompting this message, aside from a slight case of cold feet, is this question: Am I a sick puppy for thinking a perk of this job will be listening to the little fluffs scream for 9 hours? And by little fluffs, I mean the girls who are either HS/College who are scared by their own shadows that get dragged there by either a sadistic friend of a boyfriend. I mean, yeah, I'm always amused by listening to them yelp when I'm going through a haunted house...And my first year attending this thing was spent sending the guy with the chainsaw and the hockey mask in the general direction of the ones who looked like they'd scream the loudest. Of course, the last time I went to this park's Halloween even, Fright Nights, I actually had to bow to the one actor...He made me yelp. Granted, it wasn't a full "OMG WTF?" Scream, it was a yelp of "THAT MOVED!" but that's the most that ANYONE in a haunted house has EVER gotten from me. I once stared down a zombie in a haunted boat...and I regularly laugh at the pathetic attempts to scare me that others do. Looming and lurking...please. Anyways...I thought the guy was painted into the wall, until he moved and I squeaked. Tangent, sorry.

Just wanted to know if I'd be considered a sick puppy for that. Meh.

And if anyone cares...http://www.phantomfrightnights.com/ that's what I'm applying for.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Re: Seasonal, part-time job potential.

Post by Kitsune » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:17 pm

I personally think it would be a really cool seasonal job. I couldn't do it though. All the ones in my city are gore-scary, not scary-scary, if that makes sense.

Kudos for going for it though. And don't worry, you're not sick... you simply have a debased idea of what good humor is! :lol: Don't worry too much though... personally, I do the same thing. :-D
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:00 am

Sounds like fun! And hey, nothing wrong with a little negative pleasure. Zombie lurches from a wall: Little high-heeled blonds screaming for their lives (which I can't believe ISN'T mostly an act of helplessness) is bound to make any person smile just a little ;)

Good luck! I hope you get it!!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:00 am

Crazy Healer Lady wrote:Zombie lurches from a wall: Little high-heeled blonds screaming for their lives (which I can't believe ISN'T mostly an act of helplessness) is bound to make any person smile just a little ;)
Frankly, I think it's part of the "social role" that gets ingrained in some girls' heads. After all, in almost all horror movies, the cheerleader/sorority type is usually crying and screaming and running...and any girl who shows any kind of bravery or initiative is usually killed gruesomely. So, they allow themselves to believe that they should be frightened by stuff at Haunted houses. And thus, they are.

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:11 pm

I can say that I find nothing wrong with your reaction to these girls screaming in fright .. To be honest, I quite enjoy it myself :lol:

Good luck with the job, I hope you have a tremendous amount of fun!!
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:28 pm

You are not sick...well no more sick than me, you can respond to that as you see fit :evil1:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:26 pm

Ok, then I'm happy to know I'm around the right ppl on this board, considering you all would find the blonds in heels screaming funny.

:evil2:

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:55 am

Sounds like a really fun job! I hope you get it. Sadly, I would probably be one of those getting into the spirit of the occasion and allowing myself to be frightened by someone jumping out at me in a gory costume. It's okay you can all direct your laughter at me 8-)
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:31 am

To put into perspective my attitude towards these kinds of things, I have a BRIGHT white t-shirt with a black cat sitting in front of a yellow full moon the the words "You don't scare me." written on it. And I wear this blacklight-resonating thing to EVERY haunted house I go to...as a CHALLENGE to the actors.

I've irritated a few of them with it, I think.

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:27 pm

If they weren't looking to be scared (or challenging you to scare them) then they shouldn't be in a haunted house in the first place!

You're just doing your job and there's something very satisfying about getting paid to do something that you enjoy. Have fun and go get em!
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:00 pm

Max, there's a difference between the fluffy plat. blonde ditz chicks who will run to their latest squeeze and him buy them a necklace because "The bad monster scared me!" or "Do this or no snugglin!" and a good, honest-to-goodness fun time. I love the challenge of the haunted houses. I'm more of a fan of the creepiness factor of massacre rooms and dead baby displays (I'm morbid...) than getting startled, but it's fun to immerse yourself in it!

Of course, the platinum blonde is a stereotype, but there's a general trend of young men and women that really irks me. I might be up in arms about it, though, because I just listened to "Stupid Girls" by P!nk really loud on my way home from work... heh...
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Haha that's true. I'll console myself I'm not a wimp. I love that song, it's so sad that girls have to #act like that# to get what they want, it makes me cringe. Although acting like a ditz does get your bags carried (grrr) :roll: A few years ago I used to live in a really playful house where the guys would hide up to half an hour in your wardrobe just to make you scream. We'd walk round the house army-style to make sure no one was waiting behind a door with a water bomb. I had a great year living there but I don't think my nerves could have taken much more, maybe that's why I get jumpy haha!
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:07 pm

Max, sounds like you hung out with a bunch of my old friends/co-workers. Although we would have used Nerf guns rather than water. Less danger of frying important electronics that way.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:40 pm

LOL...reminds me of when my LARP group tried to scare me at my new apartment...I started walking around with a mock short sword from the game everywhere I went. They'd jump out, I'd slap them across the chest with it. They stopped pretty quick.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:21 am

Just got word that I'm in as an actress in haunts! W00t! Orientation is on Tuesday.

LOL!

:evil2: :evil2: :evil2: