A DEBATE WITH SHOCK?!?!

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12
Zodiac: Libra

A DEBATE WITH SHOCK?!?!

Post by Hytegia » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:52 pm

Oh gods above-
I am sceduled for a radio show (online or whatnot) to have a discussion with ShockAweNow. O.o On Paganism and it's viewpoints.

PLEASE GIVE ME BUFER ADVICE AND HELP ME GET READY FOR THIS?!
It's gunna be hard, and the equivalent of shoving a rock. It's discussing different points, and I'm sure he'll quotemine me to hell and back later on. :) PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE and HELPFUL THINGS?!

Okay - *Meditative breathing*
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: A DEBATE WITH SHOCK?!?!

Post by Kystar » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:00 pm

Um, make sure you have your research sources organized, clearly, so that you aren't caught misquoting a source?

I've never done anything like that, so beyond being as prepared as you would want to be for court, I can't think of anything.

Meditate a lot so they can't irritate you enough to cause you to loose your temper. Watch stuff of theirs so you get their "pressure" style.

No Idea beyond those.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:48 am

At least an hour before you're scheduled to go anywhere near them, remind yourself of who you are, at the soul level, and then align yourself with your Intention. (Notice I did not say intentions, but Intention.) Then, invoke protection. Most people in a debate go into a "Push" defense, which involves lots of mindgrasps and protruding bits. Protecting yourself, and aligning yourself with Intention and the heartbeat of the earth allows you to help them stay out of their defense as well as protect you from their energy attacks.

Go through the forums a bit. Some great info in the Paganism section.

Definitely have your resources read. As long as you keep a clear mind, you'll do fine.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:27 pm

I'm allowed to have buddies in the corner to level it out...
Any takers would be nice.

But thanks guys! Last night when we were discussing viiewpoints, Shock's argument turned from what we agree on to "Well, my Belief is bigger because, hell, atleast I have a book. You just have a silly poem."
And I told him the line about "if you put a Bible in the rain, it will wear. Water will smear the ink and the wind will tear the pages. Our book IS the Wind and the Rain."

and, it devolved from there, and he asked leading questions while his entire chatroom rallied up on him putting me in my place.
:(
We're gonna need preset questions and such to make this even remotely possible. I'm getting to him tonight - but I'm working on having Pagan Ron in my corner atleast for backup if he'll agree.
Nor any drop to drink."

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:50 pm

I think the best way to handle people like that is to laugh at them. Seriously.

The hit you with some ridiculous point, laugh. Say - "And you honestly believe that?!? I thought you were informed."

For those that hit you about their "Book", laugh and ask them if they actually have read it, follow all 637 commandments from on high, and understand it was written, editted and compiled by flawed, imperfect men no matter what they believe the original source was.

You already know my response to "devil worshipper" - laugh and say you gotta be a christian to do it

But previous advice is best - meditate - focus - don't play their pressure game, make them play yours.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:24 pm

As for the "book" argument... They're right... Our worshippers tend to be smart enough that they don't require a book to remember our stories. Add in that it's not the fault of Christians that most of them couldn't be bothered to learn the original latin... It was the priests who insisted that they need it, anyway.

:roll:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:37 am

Even though it is now in English, most followers can't be bothered to read it all on their own. Only select passages as directed by whichever "spiritual leader" speaks loudest, is flashier or tells them the message they want to hear.

To be honest it is the same with most Christians as it is for Muslim Extremists. They only learn the parts of their book as will promote the message they want it to say and therefore it can be used as justification.

Furthermore, "the original latin" is just as big a misconception. the NT was "written" by Greek Scribes translating from spoken Hebrew or Aramaic to Roman Latin Vulgaris. From the get go, there were translation errors.

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Dark Waters » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:51 am

Of course if you really want Shock, you could hit them with Exodus 26:18 "Thou shall not suffer a witch (or sorceress) to live."

Ask them who is will willing to stand up and follow their teachings and kill us witches. They are commanded to do so by their God.

Whereas our Gods tell us to harm none. To be good people and not to kill others with different beliefs. Which then is truly the religion of Peace?

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:38 am

The last thing we need is people being dared to exterminate us as a culture and religion! Some people, all it takes is the idea that God wants them to kill. Whoever listens to that argument may just get the kick he needs to go out and DO it.

And heck, the way the US gov't dictates around the bible, I think it's a thin thread they're walking already, and Obama's no protection if he gets offed. The country's not as far away from Hitler-esque genocide as one would think. A few conspiracies here, lies here, well-placed assassinations...
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:39 am

Yea. I'd say the daring is kinda a broad and risky move - especially in these times where anything can happen. :P I might bring it up as a point, but whenever I did the:
"Lol. Seriously? You guys are supposed to be informed on a debate." He'd bring up about how they were talking to a witch who said that human sacrifice was an essential part of the Great Rite and Orgies were essential in Magick. O.o
I told him that his Imaginatinary Witch friends don't count.

MANY THANKS PEOPLE for the advices on some point-blockers and things. HAving an Intelligent discussion with a Non-intellectual is total *censory* when it comes down to facts.
Nor any drop to drink."

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:00 am

I don't remember where I read this, or heard this...but I was told once or once read that the King James version changed "Poisoner" or "Assassin" to "Witch" for political reasons.

I have no idea where to find any source on that...but if you COULD find a source, and someone pulls that verse up, you could slap it down it with history.

Good luck.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:27 am

I was looking into that-
And all I could find were a compilition of Christian-based sites stating that it was a Hoax. :( I got from it, though, that it was revised many several times!

One of my next counter argument if he states the same question, I'll ask:
"Which one? The 1611 edition? the 1692 Edition? the 1711 edition? Or do you use another version? Protestant versions are more popular and fleuent with their takes on the Bible." Lol.
I've got one counter-argument down.
Nor any drop to drink."