House update, for any who care.

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

House update, for any who care.

Post by Kystar » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:00 am

We finally got the sewage done...that was a blast...NOT. Hubby couldn't get off work to be here b/c it was "too short notice"...so I had to make sure the plumber had what he needed to get the job done while staying out of his way. What he thought was a simple job became a game of subterranean "Hide and go seek" with the pipes...but it's all done now...everything's up to code, and working good. AND the plumber stuck to his estimate despite having to buy extra stone and concrete! So, that's cool.

We've decided that we MUST dump this faulty electric stove and gas dryer ASAP. So, we've decided to switch the lines...the 220 line for the stove is coming down to the basement to make a dryer line for our electric dryer, and we're getting a plumber (possibly the guy we just dealt with) or a heating-cooling tech that's a family member of a friend, to move the dryer's gas line to the kitchen so we can install a stove.

Upon examination of the foliage in the back, we realized that a large number of the trees in the overgrown landscape area were either dying b/c of the vine on them, or dead. And that the evergreens we were going to move had no where to go where they would thrive...so we removed them. We need to borrow a friend's chipper so we can make mulch, in addition to the firewood we've obtained. However, the slight upside to that, aside from the spooky thought that the trees were HAPPY to be cut down...*shudders* I think a tree should not say THANK YOU for the axe stroke!, is that I have some wood to play with. I've made a staff for a friend, and am making prop HP style wands...that actually have enough zip to them to serve as proper wands if the person wants to charge them b/c I'm not focusing on anything but the style the wood wants carved in.

When we get some furniture out that we want to give away, and get the garage shop put together, I'm going to start making keepsake boxes and fairy doors for either Ebay or Etsy. LOL...I'll post a link when I've got things up!

All in all, I think things are coming together.

We're trying to sell the one car we have b/c it's impractical, and get something smaller and better suited to puddle-jumping, as Hubby calls my short errands. Does anyone know anyone in the Pgh area that's looking for a used SUV? I've got a Blazer to sell! LOL

Oh well...that's the long and short of it in the life of Kystar and her dragon.

L8r, all!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: House update, for any who care.

Post by white_harmony » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:24 pm

Sounds like you're keeping busy, but at least you're almost on the home stretch now! :-D
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:26 pm

I feel terrible and happy for those trees at the same time. Terrible because their lives were choked out by the vines, but happy that they were able to communicate to you and that they will continue on in another form and their physical bodies will serve another purpose, whether keeping somebody warm, or simply becoming a much loved wooden box.

Good luck with the rest of your repairs and renovations!
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:50 pm

I feel horrible that the last woman who owned the house didn't care enough to keep the landscaping at least partially taken care of. The one tree had icky things bubbling off its leaves!

I understand she was an older lady who couldn't do the work herself, but if she could have found SOMEONE willing to do the work cheap enough for her to be able to afford it. As it is, we don't think the gutters have been cleaned the whole time she owned the house! There are little sprouts POKING OUT FROM THEM...WITH LIVE LEAVES! One's gutters should NOT attempt to sprout trees! So that's a project to do partially ourselves and hire someone to take care of where we can't get.

As I said, it was horribly creepy to have the trees HAPPY to feel the hatchet hit them..but they had nothing in the way of a life. There are so many vines crawling through this yard that they're basically tripping us! The shed has an entire canopy over the roof, though we're trying to find a way to keep the vine canopy without allowing it to further damage the shed. We're thinking a thin netting pushed back from the rear wall by 6 inches, and putting a different roof on so that the vine can clamber without hurting anything.

One tree survived the purge, a baby oak tree that we found to be in good health. We're going to move it to another part of the yard, near its parent tree, but not close enough to have problems growing...or close enough to the house to cause pipe issues.

The holly out front is wild too, and has sort of asked to be trimmed, as it's putting a strain on the roots, but I haven't had a chance to do that. *snorts* yes, trees talk to me fairly clearly! I don't think I should be trimming it when it's got its berries, but I'm not sure, so I'm going to look it up. I'm actually planning on hitting a library fairly soon for a tree care book.

The Master Oak in the back needs some TLC, but that's going to come from a professional. He has a few branches dead that need trimmed.

The house is starting to feel like home, despite not being anywhere NEAR unpacked. We are sort of short storage space, apparently! LOL.

At SOME point, I'll track down pics to post.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:53 pm

Thanks for the update!! I was wondering about you guys!!

Ah, poor trees. That must have been hard to deal with.

And hey, as a side note, when you do make those boxes, would you keep me posted?? :)

Glad the heavy duty stuff is mostly out of the way! It must be nice to not have to worry about flushing.

As for the vines, maybe have a conversation with the spirit of the vine... I did that with the comfrey growing in our own garden. It still grew, but was much easier to pull.

Your house sounds lovely! I can't wait for the pics :)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:36 am

My word, I sometimes think that houses are almost more stress than they are worth. I am glad things with the plumbing worked out and I understand your feelings with the trees.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:05 am

Wow, it's nice to hear that things are finally getting done! I know you said you'd be quite busy trying to do all of it.

And that is an awesome plumber you found... Anyone not willing to jack the cost, even when it costs them a bit of time and money is someone to hold onto!

I don't know about making stuff out of the trees you cut down though... Can the energy be worth using, if they were begging for death? Or does the energy feel differently? I would think that it would just be better to let it go, so that the tree can leave completely for the Summerlands... but then I'm not actually there to feel the energy.

I'm glad it's all finally getting done though. I can't imagine not being unpacked yet... Having my entire life packed into "12 small boxes" as I always say, annoys the heck out of me, which is why I generally spend my first week doing nothing but unpacking. Heck, the only room of my house that wasn't unpacked in that amount of time was my office, and even it's completely finished now. Only now are we even starting to turn our eyes out to our yard. Good job getting to all of your yard stuff that quickly.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:15 am

CHL - I'll be sure to. I've got a few ideas for the wood we cut down...little round jewelry boxes type of things. I don't have any way of making boards out of the trees we brought down, so I'm basically stuck with working around the shape. Most of the logs aren't very broad, so they're all going to be little projects.

Willow - True, a house can be more trouble than technically worth, but on the flip side is that I don't have to justify anything to a landlord, and as long as I don't break building codes in the area, I can basically do what I darn well please!

That, and now, if we need it, we have something to borrow against.

It just feels nice to know that this is OUR place and the only way we can be kicked out is if we're irresponsible and don't pay the mortgage. Not if we paint the inside, or have a pet, or decide to plant weird flowers and make a patio circle in the back with an altar-piece (An idea that is being bandied about, believe you me!)

Kitsune - I was asking the trees as we brought them down, actually. Most of them had the request of "don't let me just sit somewhere and rot, DO something with what you can from me!" Actually, when I open myself up to their energy, it feels...free...if that makes any sense. One or two of the pieces just feel like an empty flute, but they still direct energy well. Even the vine was fairly passive about things...as I think it realized that it was killing its hosts and therefore about to kill itself. But, b/c of the iffy energy, I'm being careful to either make things that won't be used for energy work, or I'm being sure to cleanse the item while I prep it, soothe the energy away...so they won't taint any workings.

Trees are very practical beings, actually. They're happier when you're DOING something with their wood than just letting them drop and rot, I've learned over the years. Unless you explain that you're planning on letting them compost down to feed the earth, then they see the dropping and rotting AS practical...strange mindset, trees. Though, the evergreens aren't well suited to work, but that's more b/c of their size, shape and pitch content. Granted, I've met one or two trees that want the "meddling bugs" to leave it the heck alone...but meh...not everything is about others getting use out of their stuff.

Then again, I have the heart of a woodworker, so I tend to talk to trees in a slightly different way. I respect them as guardians, as sentient beings, but I can also explain to them the beauty and the variety of things that can be made from them when their spirits are gone.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:29 am

Hmm, That is a strange mindset. I'm glad that you can talk to the trees so well though. I can speak to them, but not often. Animals I can do much easier.

You'll have to post some pictures of the boxes though. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing your woodworking skills.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:30 pm

I find that if I approach them with respect about the idea, they are usually agreeable.

It's sort of like suggesting to someone that they make themselves organ donors, or donate their cadavers to science...only not as icky.