... What the -?

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12
Zodiac: Libra

... What the -?

Post by Hytegia » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Okay-
who cut the Auto Censor on?
BAD! BAD! BAD!
*Holding Paddle*
I'm kidding... But it kinda makes me ticked that (what I believe to be observed as) an Auto Censor on things. I mean, I'm sure it makes your job easier, and kinder to the eye, which may in turn match the "Family" orientation that people were shooting for... But there's a few things to be said about it:

1) Killing the Word in question has been observed to be what I could call a "Sentence slayer," where you loose the Value of the sentence and track of the word if you so happen to come to such a thing as **** or @#$% on the page. The person may stop and their eyes linger on the word, and therefore the sentence's value MAY be at loss and must be read over again- I know I have to.

2) Origional Value of the work must be preserved. I know, it's close to being like first statement, but it's different in the fact that, as long as it's not there to be a Naguhty Word storm, it should be covered... I agree, the Literal discussion of Divuldgance of such acts should be considered Obscene (like, I'm not going to describe in detail about one encounter with a Nymph *cough*). But to diverge away from a single statement, when it's clear it isn't the focous of things is kinda lams, and may ruin some value to the Reality of it. As such, nothing should be "softened" when it comes to quotes or the like.

Example:
John, one day, hit his thumb with a hammer.
John dropped the hammer, cursing to high heavens as he held his thumb.
"Dad?" Mikey said as he walked out of the Garage.
"**** it all!" John said aloud, near the verge of tears.
(See that? not as much impact, eh?)

3) Robots suck. Humans can be better suited to make such calls as to the Appropriateness of the word and it's value to the sentence, beyond paperwork and red tape. Moreso-
"Is it obscinity to be obscene,or is it Obscinity that contributes to the story at all?"
Robots can't do this.

Oh, and if there IS no Auto Censor activated... Then I apologize, but still wish that the Post be edited with it's value and importance in the sentence intact before it's editing completely out. Even a 12 year old knows what **** means, and seems stupid when compared to "soft Censoring" (To say, if Foot was a cuss word, I would say F**t) that would come across as intelligent and still contributing it's part in the story.

:)
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: ... What the -?

Post by Kystar » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:17 pm

Personally, I like the fact that I can't swear here. I tend to use swear words as a cop-out, to make it so I can be emphatic without having to resort to using more advanced or archaic terminology that may or may not be understood by those immediately around me. However, by not being able to swear on this board, it makes it so that I have to think, CLEARLY, about what I wish to impart to my fellow PL members and the world at large.

Ergo, I have one place in my life where my extensive and exhaustive vocabulary of various, vibrant, and descriptive words and phrases can truly be stretched and shine. Aside from my writing, that is.

I also appreciate that it makes me ponder, at some length, the most concise way to get my point across, with emphasis and gusto, but without crassness.

In addition, I believe that the lack of cussing that is here (as opposed to the proliferation of crassness one finds at other boards that populate the internet) enables those who are not of our faith to understand that not all "Wiccans", "Witches", or "Pagans" are maladjusted adolescent misanthropes who are rebelling against the established religion as a furtherance of their childish over-dramatization of the horrors of their lives. It makes them realize that there are educated adults who follow these paths, people with degrees and professional attitudes who can respectfully disagree without resorting to various low-class vulgarities.

We're not on Xbox live, playing Halo and "fragging" each other, here. We're trying to keep an open and respectful discourse on various spiritual paths and religious topics, in addition to general life discussions. These are serious and solemn things and need to be treated with the proper concern and respect. (Except when we're being goofy, but still!)

I guess, in my mind, it all comes down to respecting your other PL members enough to avoid cussing at them.

(And I apologize for the nearly V Monologue tone in my post here.)
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:31 pm

Even then, I'm talking about in Direct quotes... Nothing directed.
Hell, I could think of a million ways to get my point across without dropping 4 letter words here and there... But if (for example) I'm posting about how exhausted I was when I awoke, and Cursed aloud because of the neusence bothering me that morning-

The fact I put that quote in there is to illustrate the idea that I was cranky, and failed to see who or what was sitting on my Garage roof that, in the early hours I made a fool of myself.

No no no! If I wanted to make fun of someone, I could think of a million ways to poke holes and make fun of them without copping out to a single one. I'm talking about Direct quotes in recollections and Fiction where such Dialoge would add to the mood of the story.
(What about The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn without the word "N*******?" You see, it IS derrogatory, but shouldn't be taken as insulting to anyone in particular! It's part of the Dialoge and the Fantastic story!)
Nor any drop to drink."

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:41 pm

No bot, Hytegia. I have to go in and change your posts. You have been warned several times about your language. ONE vowel starred does not count as censoring enough. The entire thing except for the first letter must be starred. The last letter can be unstarred if it is a long word.

Swearwords are unpleasant, uncouth, and have absolutely NO place on this forum. (Not to mention, Librarian can be in SERIOUS trouble for having a PG forum with swearwords. Not every country allows the S word for PG13. And then, goodbye PL. The N word can even count as racial slander and in some countries, like Germany, this site will be banned/illegal.) Unfortunately, with one star, we can still see enough that the word is still repulsive. Honestly, we don't need to know if you say the S word or the F.

I hate to do this, but if I have to censor you anymore, I will have to take further action, i.e. suspension of account.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:03 am

I don't think I need to add much else to what CHL has said. We have both (and I'm sure other Mods have too) given you the small smack on the wrist in the past for your language. But I'll be honest ... It's bad enough with all the bots on here spaamming (Is that the right spelling Kystar? lol), without having to go in and edit your posts as well. Some people may not like the **** or the &$%@ but it MUST be done. If you don't like it, don't use the swear words, or don't quote anything with those kind of words in it. It's a simple request. Be a dear and just do as you're asked please.
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:54 pm

The rest of us survive just fine without the swearing. Please, don't take this the wrong way, but if you can't think of a way to get your feelings across without it, you might want to grow up.

Personally, I would hate to come on here and see a lot swearing, just because somebody was having a bad day. For me at least, If you have to resort to swearing while typing, you're not using your vocabulary to the extent that I know you can. Use an emoticon if you really must. There are quite a few violent ones that will help if you need them. :-D
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:55 pm

Okay-

You see, I really have no problem with a PERSON editing it.................... It's like I would rather have a person making my Cheeseburger or checking my Term Paper. The Bot lacks a certain ability to reason and weigh the Value and Aim of the Writing versus the Black and White "Good - Bad" Thing.
I'm an avid activist when it comes to Free Speech if the Aim is True to it's intentions.

:P
Nor any drop to drink."

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:14 am

Ok. So let me get this straight. You whinge and moan and carry on about the whole "being censored" thing ... Yet claim it's ok for a person to do EXACTLY what a Bot is going to do anyway? That's ludicrous. I'm sorry, but it is. There is no difference whatsoever between what an auto censoring program would do to your posts compared to what we (the Mods) do to your posts. It's exactly the same thing. I don't mean to sound attacking or derogatory in anyway ... But seriously hun. It seems like a waste of time to sit there and complain about something that (a) doesn't exist in the first place, and (b) trying to say that a human editing something sits there and weighs the value and the aim of what's being said ... We just edit it. End of story. Just tone it down, or keep it out completely. It's as simple as that. There is this wonderful thing called the English language. Perhaps you'd like to try and expand your use of it some more, rather than trying to do things through cussing (starred out, &%[email protected], or otherwise).
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:00 am

Firstly:
I am well worded in the English Language. I could send insults and messages through metaphor and string out blasphemies that it would take the average person a few seconds to comprehend. I could compare them to the Sloth, or a fool of no name and no song. I could properly school them in the art of worded and indirect attacks at personal standings on things of the nature with no real gain to myself but to know I did it. I could compare them to the Bedsheet, filthy and useless, or to rubbish, and direct them to the nearest garbage bin... But it is childish to direct insults or to Flame.
Could it be that I simply am inspired through non-derrogatory means in order to stir into the brew of my stories the idea of real life? Perhaps so, considering that I wouldn't need such reudementary words if I was having an intelligent discussion of a higher order compared to everyday occourances, most of which I find myself writing about.

Secondly:
I'm not declaring a circular war, nor a Flame. But if one is to step in and say my Ethics are flawed and, in stating that I should expand my already extensive knowledge of the Language, lodging me with the several Backwoods Barbarian who sit on their rears, spitting tobacco, and taking pot-shots at trespassers while their honey makes them dinner, then I may get minorly stressed in my already stressful week.
Is it Barbarian to compare a Woman's gaze to the Stars, or to weave the essence of Life into breathing lines on a Page? Is it a Barbarian action to dissect the beauty of the Universe with Logic and Reason, and in that finding that the Creativity and Beauty in all things is how well it was made, and over the Course of Billions of Years we have gained Sentience and grown from nothing?

And, Finally:
I'm not impervious to failure, nor am I an expert in the field of Robotics, but my ethics on the subject remain unfaultered as to the cold retardation of Robots versus the ability of Intelligent and Sentient beings to use Logic and Reason besides looking in Black and White, saying "This and This." Ofcourse, it may not matter to you my stance on the issue, but in my stating where I stand on the ideal of Bot Censory versus Human Censory, maybe one could begin to understand why I began this post in the First place.
Robots lack understanding and Sentience to make induvidual and biased descicions and to weigh values of Wordsin the overall intent of the post.

Sorry - I forgot to throw my Four Letter words in... I was too tired from typing it to realize that I had forgotten to incorperate Barbaric Dialects into my non-trgeted yet themed Rant.
*Shrug*
Nor any drop to drink."

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:28 am

Ooh I missed this discussion. Hytegia, as much as I am a fan of 'colourful' language I agree with the rest: when in Rome dude, when in Rome.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:42 am

Hmm, I missed it too. I definitely prefer the no swearing, not that I am a fan of slippery slope arguments, but it is too easy for forums to dissolve into more than the occasional four letter word being slipped in for emphasis.

I know a sentence, poem, paper or phrase can be well worded, but can a person? They would more generally be practiced in the use of the English language wouldn't they?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)