Thank You For Your Patience

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Thank You For Your Patience

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:57 am

I really want to thank everyone for your patience while we deal with spammers. There isn't much we can do other than catch them as they come in, ban and delete, although the next person selling gil or WoW gold is getting reported to WoW, IP and all.

I know the stuff that comes through here at times can be vulgar. I want to remind everyone not to click on any links these spammers have in their posts.

Have a fantastic day and thanks again for being patient with this newest wave of spam attack!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12
Zodiac: Libra

Re: Thank You For Your Patience

Post by Hytegia » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:01 am

I suggest that you ban a few **** bots that show up. Yes, there are such thing as Spam Sites that use the Bots and Spiders to crawl sites and look for places to advertise for WoW gold or some useless ****.
I don't get mad... It's all too easy to see some Bot attacks, and I usually click on them so I can click *REPORT*

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:04 pm

We do ban the bots. We ban them, the IP they're using, and then try to deal with the spam they've posted ... Which can sometimes take anywhere up to 10 mins or more to do. However, because of the invention of the dynamic IP, we are always going to end up with the same bots eventually coming back here. So all we can do is keep on banning and deleting as they come in.

However, the ones with WoW gold selling can be reported to Blizzard Entertainment as it is an illegal thing to do by their user agreement, and the fact that Blizzard much prefer to have the monopoly on wow gold that is available in game. I do not know if Runescape (whose spam we have had in the past) can be reported as well. But the thing is - no matter how many of these sites/bots you report to people, another 20 of them show up the next day. There is no end in sight really.

So like CHL said - we'll just keep on deleting and banning, and continue to thank you all for your patience, as sometimes it can take us a bit to get to the spam and remove it all.
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:30 pm

Oh fun, a new spaamer posted. Wow gold links...including signature line. Fun.

Urgh, I hate Spaamer and Spaam bots, stupid ppl think they're going to make a heap o' money just by making other ppl miserable. Jerks.

(Hubby corrected my spelling recently...Spam is a food product of questionable edibility, junk food. Spaam is "Something Posing As A Message"...thus, junk mail. Whatever...but now, to appease my "Geek", I'm making sure I spell it correctly. :roll: )
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:28 am

oui, we do ban the bots and any/all other spammers... that said, take it from a programmer and former *cough* hacker, it's not hard to add small amounts of code to "fool" filters that try to keep bots from logging in or signing up. We will just have to keep doing out best to keep the spam cleared out and banned as soon as we notice it after it is posted. One of us usually catches it pretty fast considering we all seem to have different sleep schedules, lol.

Wassail
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:24 am

I'm sure the different Time Zones help, too!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:10 pm

I just have to say...Yay for Mods.... >:D< @};-- @};-- @};-- @};--

Thanks for keeping the PL clean!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:58 am

*takes a bow for the mod group* lol We do our very best to keep everything neat, tidy, and clean ... Hell, I'll be honest, I love a nice clean forum lol. It's like an extra item on my house cleaning list every day lol
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~