Dresden Files - Fun Fun!

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12
Zodiac: Libra

Dresden Files - Fun Fun!

Post by Hytegia » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:54 pm

I've found that the Dresden Files is one of the closest shots Hollywood has gotten to replicating Magick for the massive entertainment of many-
From the fast-talking Sorcerer trapped to his own skull, to the Spirit world running heywire-
To the fact that Nothing is as it seems- Especially if it seems like Nothing. And that once all Logical solutions are eliminated, use the most unlogical one.

Dive into the World of Harry Dresden in the hit show, the Dresden Files... NOW ON YOUTUBE.

http://www.youtube.com/show?p=5hzUn3T5K6A

I absolutely LOVE this show... SImply because it's got that right mix of Magick, mystery, and the Occult in a massive brew to create a unique world that, honestly, isn't that far from our own.
Welcome to the Dresden Files.
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: Dresden Files - Fun Fun!

Post by runewulf » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:26 pm

The books are even better & you don't have to deal with the books getting cancelled like syfy did the show ( media jerks, lol)
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Have any of you played the roleplaying game of Dresden Files?

I heard that it was based off the books (I also heard that they were better than the show) and I was just wondering if it was a good game or not?
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:16 am

Play? What is this thing called play? Is it akin to the elusive and fabled sleep? ;)

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:25 am

Great Topic Hytegia!

Dresden Files is quite possibly the best of the Sci Fi original series' (besides maybe Ghost Hunters). I haven't been able to get into the books yet. Something about Butcher's voice throws me off. Maybe I need to forget the show for a while first and then come back to them. Plus I've been trapped in the Emberverse and don't see myself getting out till I've finished my re-read leading up to the High King.

Rune, I think this play that she speaks of is a distant relative of relaxation. I wonder what that's like. :rolleyes:
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:39 pm

do you have your copy of "the high king of montival" yet? I won't be able to pick up mine until at least next week. Apparently it hasn't reached Calgary yet.

Also I want to finish reading "the way of Kings" before I start reading another one. Let me know what you think of it though. I can't wait to get started on it.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:54 am

Orking through High King now. I am having to force myself to take it slowly cause I wanna just dive in, but have other things I must accomplish as well. It's excellent so far.

Oui, play... Hmm, maybe I will learn that again in the near future, lol. Aussi, Emberverse rocks!!!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Lots of good books coming out right now. I'm finishing the Way of King’s, then I'm going to be reading the high king of montival and then in mid-October Geist by Philippa Ballantine comes out. Although I probably won't pick it up until it's in softcover.

Oh, and just because the question has to be asked... do Rudy and Matilda finally get together? :lol: :roll:

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:03 am

I don't have The High King yet. At the moment, all of my expenditures have to do with the house. We're hoping to close before the end of the month and celebrate by going to the book store! I know what I'll be buying. And once we're set up and I can swing it, I'll be getting my very own copies of books 1-6. No more library copies for me! Of course, this will add to a growing problem. We've actually discovered that we're going to need more shelving than what we presently have. More that 3/4 of my books have been in storage for 4 years and it's not like I stopped getting books since packing them up. And my Sapphire is worse than me!

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:12 am

Well, I finished it last night and could answer your question, lol... Duh, considering the last 2 books kept pushing them in that direction. Seriously, as usual, he did great with the novel. However, there will be another book and as with e rest of this spin off, it leaves you hanging at the end hard core for the next book. This one is a little more fast paced, as far as time condensation, great read :D

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:08 am

runewulf wrote:Well, I finished it last night and could answer your question, lol... Duh, considering the last 2 books kept pushing them in that direction. Seriously, as usual, he did great with the novel. However, there will be another book and as with e rest of this spin off, it leaves you hanging at the end hard core for the next book. This one is a little more fast paced, as far as time condensation, great read :D
I've actually already read the first 9 chapters thanks to his policy of putting them online to lure unsuspecting victims in. Since I can't afford it right now and the book hasn't arrived at the Library yet, I've just taken out all the earlier books and am in the middle of the Sunrise Lands. I figure I should catch up to High King right around the time we close on the house and then I have a housewarming gift to myself. :) Sapphire's in the middle of the Avalon books right now, so I see the two of us wrapped in blankets and on our couch in OUR house and losing ourselves to these fantastic worlds. Simply cannot wait for that moment.

As far as Rudi and Matti getting together, they've basically been intended for each other since they were 9 years old and swore the blood oath. And I'm sure that Sandra, in all her spidery ways, did a bit of subtle pushing in that general direction. We see a bit of that in Sunrise Lands. Not that Matti wouldn't be interested in Rudi without encouragement. He is a rather comely lad, after all. And skilled in the arts of war and peace, is he. A good man and well liked by all that know him. He's won the respect of the PPA nobility as well as being named Tanist by his Clan, sure. Just for the sake of politics, the joining of the house of Arminger and Clan Mackenzie would be a coup. What princess wouldn't at least consider him? The fact that she does love him and Odin himself told her to get a move on certainly helps too! While they may not be married in ceremony until they get back to Montival, they're already married at heart.

And here now, we've absconded with poor Hytegia's thread about Harry Dresden, Wizard. These books are almost as good at derailing us as a certain 'classical reference' mentioned here and there.

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:00 pm

rofl, true dat ami. Both are wonderful series, actually two of my favorite authors, truth be told.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:42 pm

He has been pushing them together but I should have been more specific with my question. I've noticed that Matti doesn't seem able to accept Rudy's beliefs… That is more what I was wondering about.

More on this when either my wrist is not hurting or when my mic is charged again(probably tomorrow :-D :roll: ).

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:31 am

I think Matti accepts Rudi's beliefs to some extent. She'd clearly prefer if he were a Christian and she's obviously very deeply conflicted about the whole process as seen in Sword when she didn't know how to react to the ritual she watched. She's certainly had moments of acceptance when she stepped up and confronted Odin about Rudi's happiness. I'm hoping that in King, she'll come to the realization that unless you're doing evil, all paths to the divine get you to the same place and she and Rudi can be one together in all things, including spirituality. If she doesn't, she's in for a world of hurt, cause that sad winter's child has nearly grown into himself and will quite soon become all that he is intended to be: Artos.

Gods I can't wait to get my hands on this book!