Wish us Luck!

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12
Zodiac: Libra

Re: Wish us Luck!

Post by Hytegia » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:06 pm

I'm planning on moving in with a Friend (who I'll call Vampire Fanatic, aka "Fanati" from now on) who's Mom just bought a HUGE house. I mean, sure - 2 people were murdered there last year, brutally killed by a maniac with a knife... But the PRICES~!
I'm trying to decide what to take out right now:
ALL my Books
Clothes
Matresses (no "bed" per-se. The one in my room I've had since I was 7 and LOOKS like it was bought for a 7 year old).
Pagan stuff.
NOTEBOOKS (It's own Catagory WITHIN ITSELF)
Guitar
Skateboard
-
Anything else I might need to want?
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:43 am

Save money, LOTS of it. Get toothpaste, hair brushes, all those little every-day things that you'll need while you settle in. If you've got a few minor appliances you'll need (cell phone charger, desk lamp, small or portable TV, DVD player...) take those too. If you've got any small furniture such as shelves, a small desk, a small table, take those as well. If you're asking why you need to save the money, this is why I'm suggesting it: Emergencies are just that - emergencies. If your DVD player suddenly goes out, you may or may not have enough without a steady income. Even if you do have a job, things like breaking down appliances (and your mattress!) will need replacing if you plan to live there a while.

This comes from having to move back and forth every three months in the last few years. We only took the small things, things that could be collapsed, folded, stacked, taken apart, or stored in very little space. (Anything unable to be fit into a 24X24X24 in. box was either taken apart or put on the bottom of the list as we packed. Since you won't be moving far, and won't be waylaid in a motel for two months... (yes, we were in a motel long enough I started school there.) You should be okay. I hope your move goes smoothly, Hytegia. I've got two years of this circus left, and although I'm going to miss having mom and dad look after things, I won't miss all the BS that goes on. :roll:

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:44 am

heheheheheh... 9 boxes... we just finished moving everything into a new home, but because it was less than 5km away, we didnt rent a truck, just carred everything up in trips on our way after work. Packing, unpacking, setting up, packing, unpacking, setting up.... and with my back we used little boxes... took us the whole month of July with our work schedules. 9 boxes is a dream!!! Add bed, desks, bookshelves, pets, ancestral memorabilia... We ended giving everything we haven't used in 3 months away.

Strange how we are all moving :p Happily, ours is DONE!!!!! mwahahahaha!!!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:43 pm

Mine has yet to begin!
:(
*Shakes in fear at CHL's Evil Laughter. Hides behind Mahala*
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:28 pm

Wow, I completely missed the last two posts above mine. Sorry if my post was ill-timed. Good luck on both your moves :)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:57 pm

Nine boxes would be a dream... About 6 years ago (before I started office work) all me and grimwell had could be easily packed into a load and a half in a large van. I was done unpacking in about 4 hours.

This time, a 5-ton was needed (originally we had requested a 3-ton). The 5 ton was full to the brim, and we had enough totes and small boxes of books to fill an entire room. It took us pretty much 4 entire days of unpacking to finish... and technically, we're not finished yet, since my office is still not done. That's my fault though. The shelves we're buying for my office have been out of stock, and it's really hard to unpack when everything is going on those shelves. The rest of the house is unpacked and set up though.

The house is awesome, and I will post pics eventually... It's just such a great place!

And Hytegia, remember the little things like laundry baskets. If you can buy one, a microwave will save you from spending all your hard earned cash on fast food, until you can afford to buy a set of pots / pans. Just think about it this way... anything that gets you through the day now, you will want / need one of your own to get by... from the dinner plates and cutlery to the bedsheets to toothpaste. You'll need all of it.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:42 pm

We've been moved in since April, and are STILL surrounded by boxes.

Of course, that has a lot to do with the fact that we eliminated a large storage piece...my mom's old china closet was just TOO big...but it held a LOT of stuff...so we're trying to figure out what to do with what was in it. We're looking into a curio cabinet and a small corner china closet, but then, bills and issues...Sigh.

I think the first thing I bought in preparation to move out of my mom's house was a $10 box of dishes from Wal-mart. And I still have them, only we gave the coffee cups to charity b/c we had WAY too many. I kept them at a friend's house for nearly 6 months before I needed them...b/c I couldn't bring them home, mom would have flipped.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!