Websites

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Websites

Post by Arcanum Owl » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:29 pm

Recently the company that I work for (Alpetros Design) and the Group which owns it (Lawton Group Int) went about getting professional websites created. Unfortunately most of the decisions about "who" we were getting employed to do these websites was made without my input and I ended up getting stuck with a company based in a regional town. I won't go into it, except to say it was a long process. Not to mention the sites that were created were for both Accountants/Financial Advisers and Draftsman/Engineers. Groan.

Now I'm looking at SEO [Search Engine Optomisation] and any other improvements that can be made to get the websites exposure as well as other peoples' opinions on the websites. We are going to be using another company to do our SEO , but this is largely an area I know absolutely nothing about. Also the company directors attended a conference yesterday where they had an interesting presentation with a Joel Comm. So as a result I will probably end up with a lot of purchased material for me to look over before I can even attempt to get any SEO done. Our site is http://www.lawtongroup.com.au incidently I work for Alpetros Design though I tend to be an IT Consultant for the remaining Lawton Group companies.

Any piece of advise from people who have experience in or dealings with professional SEO or just professional websites in general would be greatly appreciated, as I find the IT industry in Australia is rather sub par and I would greatly appreciate an international point of view from people I trust. Even though I going to have a lot to read over the coming weeks. Groan, I think I do too many tasks for these companies sometimes. :lol: But isn't that way of all things. :lol: I think RuneWolf can relate.
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: Websites

Post by runewulf » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:43 pm

Oui, I can relate all too well, lol.

Actually, it don't look too bad. Biggest things I notice, right off the bat, is that the images need to have their alt tags completed and that the meta tags need to be tailored to the page content, or vice versa. Your SEO placement is always better when your meta tags (description and keywords) actually use the same text or at least contain the same words, that are in the page's body content. Make sure that the alt tags on images are descriptive as well, as that is also indexed by most search engines as well.
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:11 am

Thanks for that RW. Yeah we were actually aware of several SOE which hadn't been done. We are getting all the sites properly optimised in the coming months.
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:18 pm

de rien ami... gods know I deal with that, among so much else, fairly regularly for our ump-teen companies, lol
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com