Site Idea

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.

Is this a good idea?

Hell YEA!
20%
Maybe.
10%
Nah~
70%

Total votes: 10

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: Site Idea

Post by runewulf » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:43 pm

True dat, ami... We're not that hard to approach, as long as it's not done wrongly or with huge ego... as a rule, we're pretty laid back around here. Davisherm is VERY correct about copyright issues... the last thing we need is DMCA suits filed against us because someone doesn't understand copyright laws or just plain disregards them. As far as what it would take to add the functionality to this BBS, well, it would take quite a bit of time and a fairly skilled developer, preferably one of the main contributors. There are plenty of places online to post profiles and such and we do have a space in our profiles for website links, so that does allow us to link to more content heavy profiles and such off-site. The world can be an interesting place and often times a harsh one when it comes to laws and when you're dealing internationally, even more so.

Wassail
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Personally I like basic nature of this site, it's a forum site and not much more. As a result it tends not to get bogged down with the other more popular "social commentary" of the internet.
Yes I'm revealing my age, but I would prefer if the net's social interaction was still limited to mIRC, ah the good ol' days.

This is clearly off topic, I just wanted to put in the quote :-D;
A person once described to me his outtake on the injustice of the internet.
"For years those of us who are net and computer savy have been ridiculed and bullied by the stereotypical, personality stamped "jocks" and those people who actually thought they were cool and beautiful for all those agonizing years at school. Now the net is seen as popular and the same people who we tried to avoid by jumping on the net, are now riddled though it like maggots though a decomposing corpse."
:lol: Man did that guy have a way with words.

Apart from my nostalgia of years gone by, we're all pretty approachable. To be honest I think that this defining characteristic is part of our religion, :lol:
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:12 pm

Dating yourself ami? I remember when it was real dial in BBS systems and ARPANET, lol.

Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:18 pm

Well kinda RW, I could pull out the carbon dating set to ascertain some sort of accuracy. Purely from a scientific standing anyway, spiritually speaking I haven't been around for very long and White Harmony is clearly a cradle snatcher. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Half the time when your speaking French-Cajun RW I think your talking to the person behind me, lol.
"Project what you are and what you feel, not what you think!" - quoted from yours trully.

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:24 pm

You know it's a small world when you bump into people in real life who you used to know by their high scores in Trade Wars.

I have 4 friends now, that I knew when I was a kid playing on a couple local BBS's with my trusty USR modem.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:31 pm

LOL Arcanum... what can I say ami, lassiez les bon temps rouller, moi... :lol: ok, enough cajun cliche's there. You know I'm gonna tease WH about the cradle robbing thing when I get back in the next couple days, gonna make her say Crikey too :p

Davisherm, yeah, it's always interesting to meet folks that you knew way back in the day. I can remember running into folks at earlier DefCon's that I'd met on dial in BBSes and such. I ended up working with one for a couple years back in the late 90s who I knew by his hacker handle from OLD BBS systems.

Arcanum Owl
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arcanum Owl » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:53 pm

GROAN.
I really gotta wonder why American's always want us Aussies to say Crickey! I'm pretty sure it isn't even aussie slang, it certainly isn't used over here.
It's as bad as that Australia movie, you could in fact here audible winces in the cinema audience whenever they said that word. The "B" word on the other hand which I international people find so offensive is said in general conversation over here, and isn't even a swear word.

chuckle Have a ball with the cradle snatcher joke. I do from time to time.... I just realised doesn't that make me a toy boy?

And OMG, I've actually posted 5+ posts in one day!!! I must be sick or coming down with something. :lol: :lol:

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:56 pm

ROFL... yeah, the Crikey thing is fun because it drives her nuts... kinda like tourists comin to cajun country and wantin to hear us say things like "lassiez les bon temps rouller", "fais do-do", "Naw'lins" and such. I don't think the first has been used heavily in the last 20+ years because it kinda became a cliche... we usually only use it around other cajuns or those we're close to these days.

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:53 pm

My 2 cents - I don't see the need for anything like this - the extensions to profiles etc etc etc. The guys have summed up the whys on it quite well, so I won't reiterate again.

If people feel the need to put up photos or whatever to show their work in a way that is much easier to explain - that is what photo sites like photobucket and flickr are for in my opinion. I do not think it is fair to Librarian after so many years to just say "hey you know we want this and this and this and this ..." when it costs him not us for those things, when they are in fact not a necessity.

As for the rest of this topic ... We shall discuss that in private gentlemen! lol ... And no more crikey's for you until you behave Rune! lol Making fun of my being in this spiritual journey longer than Arcanum and cradle snatching is just not nice :P Although, he is right. He is a toy boy, and he's a very good one :-D mwahaha got you back. Now I'll behave lol. :lol: :lol:
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:44 pm

Man, I was just on here yesterday... You guys were working up a chatting storm!

I wish I'd gotten here a bit sooner... Then I could have jumped in on the conversation. :P

As for the original topic, I have to say no as well. While it would be cool and all, that's really not what the site is about. The fact that we can have a great conversation and an active site even without the "new shiny" stuff that you find on myspace/covenspace and the rest is really a testament to the intriguing personalities and intelligent conversation that we have here.

I'm perfectly happy to leave the "Jazzy" looks and buttons to a site that needs it to survive. We've been doing great without it, and personally, I feel it would cheapen the way the site is handled.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:30 pm

* chuckles softly * hey, he brought it up, cher... you know I'm gonna tease you bout it, just like you gonna tease me bout my trip, so it's all good ;) and over here, it's called "boy toy" :badgrin:

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:45 am

They do things differently down under, Rune.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:15 am

oui, but it's another thing to tease about... she gives as good as she gets, so it's all good ;)

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:58 pm

bah what nonsense Rune lol. You give a hell of a lot better than I do lol. But then, maybe I just play nice :P lol And "boy toy" "toy boy" is pretty much the same thing here, although on occasion there be some subtle differences lol.
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:37 am

*me looks around innocently* who, me? Sweet, innocent lil old me? nahhhh ;)