Site Idea

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.

Is this a good idea?

Hell YEA!
20%
Maybe.
10%
Nah~
70%

Total votes: 10

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12
Zodiac: Libra

Site Idea

Post by Hytegia » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:33 am

I had a few ideas for an extension of the site!
We could make some kind of extended profile that people could customize- like myspace. Except here we could post our pagan practices and some cool photos, along with our "flavor" of Paganism!
"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink."

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Re: Site Idea

Post by davisherm » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:50 am

It's already been done:

http://www.coven-space.com/

I don't see why we would want to tack something like that onto the library, especially when it already exists. Investing in the software and additional hosting would tax our existing infrastructure. Those of us who've been around for a while have gotten to know each other pretty well and a number of folks here commune outside the boards, so really this forum is a social network already. There's no need to change the format or make an addition.

That, and quite honestly, I'm not sure I'd want to run the risk of using such customizable source as what Myspace uses as it opens visitors to malware attacks and that's just not something we want associated with our site.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:56 am

Not THAT customizable! I meant just some small page of info or whatnot- But thanks for that Link!

I know some html and I have friends who know alot more- and are willing to help.
Nor any drop to drink."

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:57 am

I think you're a web designer in the making! But, though I've not been with the forum for long my personal preference would not to have the extended profile. To be honest I have technophobe tendencies and so I enjoy a limited profile that I don't have to think about updating. Within a few months you'll get to know everyone anyway.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:14 am

I like it becouse you wouldn't NEED to update it. Maybe a few extra boxes on the existing profiles (seen by clicking your Avatar, if anyone doesn't know) or a photo-hosting program? That would kick some butt* there. Just something you could put a creed on and some info about yourself, along with some images you could have of you doing witchy things- or just regular stuff.
I'm picturing in my mind some small kind of profile... Something simple.

*language edited by davisherm
Nor any drop to drink."

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:35 am

Not to continue raining on the parade, but if you check the art section, there's already a post dedicated to pictures of members.

Also, please check your private messages.

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:52 am

Yea but-
Man, don't you hate if when you can't rationally describe what you're seeing in your head? I know there's a thread, but I'm talking about local hosting and displasy of images in a profile for all to look at, classifyed under your profile name, along with an extended version of the Profile.
Nor any drop to drink."

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:59 am

Local hosting is a good point, and something I don't have the time to discuss as the moment, as work beacons. Watch this space, or one a few posts below depending on how active this thread gets. And I'll throw in my two cents.

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:03 am

Alright then. But I'd REALLY like to see, like, maybe 3 folders of 5 pic uploading for people where they can just upload their pictures. And, as I've said, that extra box on the Profile wouldn't hurt. :P
Nor any drop to drink."

runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

Post by runewulf » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:02 am

the forum uses a premade BBS system which doesn't have that kind of functionality (unless it's been upgraded seriously in the last couple years). As far as html skills go, what you're suggesting is a lot more than html (and I know this as I am a Sr. Level Developer/Architect and an IT Executive and have been developing such products since the 90s). Like Davisherm said, covenspace already has such profiles and of course you also have hotmail, yahoo, myspace, facebook, etc. which you can put in as your website address. There is also the hosting costs to consider, both physical disk space as well as bandwidth. Librarian has handled hosting for the Pagan Library since it's inception out of the goodness of his heart and at no cost to the members, so asking for something that will cost him more out of pocket is a bit gouche. Honestly, if you want to host pics, upload to an online service, then embed them in a post or use myspace or such and update your profile with that address.

Wassail
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:39 am

And there goes Rune stealing my thunder.

What he said. And going a bit more into it, the BB system really isn't built to accommodate such a change and the coding expertise needed to make it fit would not only be costly, but break the terms of service that we currently use the BB license under. It would require the use a completely different BBS suit, quite possibly custom written, which would once again be costly and a major pain when trying to update or patch security holes, because we'd have to speak with the original coder.

On top of cost of rebuilding the entire site, hosting costs, and bandwidth fees, there's also the problem of what happens when somebody using their pagan library provided hosting posts a copyrighted image and the Librarian gets a Cease and Desist letter in the mail from an upset creator? Bye Bye local hosting. And going a level above that, we are an international site. Different countries have different decency and obscenity laws. An image that most in the UK or US might not think twice about could potentially get the Library banned in Germany or in Australia. We have folks in both countries who read this site. I'm sure they wouldn't like to suddenly have their access cut off.

So for images, please use a free image host like image shack or tiny pic, which are the first two hits on Google, when you search for free image host. Your profile here at the library can be used to link offsite to places where you're able to customize to your heart's content. Hey, you can even link to your own website, which if you know HTML, might not be a bad place to start.

BB

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:09 am

I thought that was coming.
Anyhow, I make my myspaces from scratch usually. But I see where you're coming from.
:)
Well, it was a good suggestion, atleast.
Nor any drop to drink."

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:11 am

A very good one, just not something we're really able to put to use in the existing site. Maybe in the future, when we upgrade again, something that would be available, but I really don't know that the pros of being able to put more detailed information in the profile outweigh the potential cons.

Hytegia
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hytegia » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:16 am

It would help ther newbies be able to get more details about new people, and see some images of practicing pagans in their natural habitat (so to speak). Plus we could set a very strict CoC on pictures... For instance, an Insta-ban would be a picture of a Schwasticka, or other symbols of hate (but definately the Schwasticka, simply because it's image would get us blocked in Germany). Maybe if all images are reviewed before uploading? That would be cool, and I could do it. Heck, I'm almost on here whenever I can touch a computer!
flyaway:
Nor any drop to drink."

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:31 am

Ah the swastika. I feel terrible for the Dharmics who's symbol was stolen and tarnished.

It's pretty sad, that even when used in the correct context, most western people will react with horror at the site of it.

The history of the swastika is pretty interesting stuff and its prevalence across Asia, maintaining more or less the same meaning in each location, depsite being used by many different religions, makes it one of the most widely used religious symbols.

Wikilink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Back to the subject matter:

If newbies want to get acquainted with the folks on the board, the best way to do so would be to spend a little time reading some of the older posts. Staying quite and looking around is always good advise to take when you're new someplace and need to learn the lay of the land. Once a newbie has read up on a few topics and feels ready to introduce themselves, they can do so. Most do. And since we were all newbies at one point or another, if you read through the newbie section, you'll find an awful lot of information about most of our members.

BB