looking to relocate

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
runewulf
Zodiac: Scorpio

looking to relocate

Post by runewulf » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:10 pm

bon soir everyone,

I am looking to quite possibly relocate. I've always loved the pacific northwest, hence the post asking for info on the Portland/Eugene area of Oregon. That said, I am not totally locked into that area. What I am looking for is an area that has a temperate climate, i.e. all 4 seasons and not ungodly hot or cold (no deserts), a good, large pagan/magickal community, a lot of nature (not overly polluted) and a decent IT industry.

If you think your area fits the bill, please reply so I can take a look at it. Give me the pros and cons to the area, etc. I appreciate all input from everyone as I don't want to make a move to somewhere I will NOT be happy. If I wanted to stay not happy, I would remain in FL working myself to death for the company I currently work for, lol.

Merci et Blessings,

RuneWulf

P.S. yes Fyre, I know Colorado Springs has a nice climate and I am researching that area too, lol ;) je t'aime aussi ma petite souer
http://cajungypsy.blogspot.com

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Re: looking to relocate

Post by Kitsune » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:35 am

Wish I could help you, but most Americans don't consider two to three warm months a year an adequete summer when compared to five to seven months of colder weather. We do get spring and fall in Calgary, but until recently, they tended to be very brief, maybe a month long for each.

If the weathers not too warm for you, you may want to look into places overseas. When I was thinking of a move a year or so ago, one of the main places that I researched was Perth, Australia. Beautiful weather, at the time they were in desperate need of qualified workers in all fields and they're right on the ocean. I don't think they get snow though... You might have to drive for a few hours for that. :-k
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:00 am

Oh wait, you want temperate and a good pagan community... forget what I said about NY in the mods section , then. We're not temperate at all. -10 is not uncommon in the winter and in the summer it can reach high 90's and even above 100.

The thunderstorms we get in the Mohawk Valley are really something, though.

As for a good pagan community, we've got scattered shops here and there and I'll bump into some folks from time to time, but unless you're right in Albany/Troy you're not going to have too much in the way of a community. I've got a friend who works in a botanica that serves the local Haitian community for all of their spiritual needs, but that's as much as I know around here.

You might look in the San Francisco area. Not only would you be close to the future home of Star Fleet Academy, but they've got pretty temperate weather year round, if you don't mind the fog. And earthquakes. And with the real estate bust, I hear houses sell at a reasonable rate these days. There's also plenty of IT industries out there, unless you're looking for a total break from your current life.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:28 am

LOL, I am avoiding CA due to cost of living, lol... and by temperate, I mean all 4 seasons... I don't mind the cold in the winters, but I am irrationally sick of 11 1/2 months of summer with 1/2 month of spring, i.e. FL, lol.

Sìle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sìle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:45 pm

If you didn't want to stay in the States, I could recommend the following:

Japan - temperate climes on the mainland - all four seasons, pagan (shinto is still practiced by many); and a flourishing IT industry.

Korea - see Japan above.

The Netherlands - all four seasons; a pagan community (of norse origin); and a good IT industry (though a bit more diverse than in other countries).

Republic of Ireland :Luck: - all four seasons, though more likely to see snow in the north; IT industry (though the Celtic Tiger seems to have been stopped in its tracks for the moment), and a pagan heritage of celtic basis and a growing pagan community.

Before the economic crisis, there are other countries which might have been viable alternatives.

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:58 pm

I'll probably stay stateside for now, although I have several folks who have been trying to get move to hit the UK, EU and AU off and on for years. However, for the short term, I will stick with the US, unless things decline here even more, then... who knows.

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:11 pm

pardon moi, je suis epusise.... ou as I just been informed, mixin languages again, me.... so, I try again... apologize, but I am exhausted... RL has me stressed to the point of breaking.... and as long term members of the library can tell you, I have a verrrrrry high tolerance and have deal with what would break most when it comes to work.... I'm at the breaking point now, though, me. I am close to resigning and moving.... that said... what I am looking for is this, more or less ( in the US ):
  • Generally good pagan/metaphysical/occult community
  • a lot of local nature, preferably heavy woods, mountains (wooded) and/or "foothills"
  • a decent IT industry
  • a decent cost of living, i.e. everything not overly inflated
  • temperate climate, i.e. not pysochitically hot in summar or brutal in winter, i.e. generally between 15 and 90 degrees F... a little above and below is cool
  • etc...
I know it seems a lot to ask... and in some ways seems little to ask... ou oui, j'ai examine le maisone, New Orleans, ou I don't think that would be wise in the current climate.

I am seriously considering Oregon, as shown by the other post, but am willing to consider other areas as welll.... please let me know what you think of your areas, the pros and cons of the areas based on the above list, etc. I seriously don't wanna make such a decision "off the cuff" without input.

Merci mes amis,
RuneWulf

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:23 pm

I don't recommend Pittsburgh, PA.

I can't speak for the local pagan community, but our weather goes from 8 degrees and lower in the winter and 90 to 100 in the summer, for like two to three weeks before we get a break.

I know the IT market here is overloaded, as we have something like four colleges in the area that do various IT degrees.
I'm not familiar with Cost of Living elsewhere, but we're doing okay with just Hubby working to buy a new house. So, it can't be that bad.

We've got a large number of parks, wooded areas, rivers, streams and whatnot. I think that's (South)Western PA's biggest advantage, actually. But, we're mountain goat country, so if you're not used to trudging up and down hills, don't come here.

I've heard Eerie Pa is nice, but I know nothing about it.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:39 pm

je n'ai probleme avec c'est temperature... as long as there is a balance of seasons... luckily my job skills span IT Executive from Sr. Managment to CIO/CTO (executive) all the way to Sr. Level Developer/Architect/Programmer in just above ever major and minor language, as well as most major and several minor databases and all major operating systems...

biggest thing for me is a heavily wooded area, mountains I love, as long as they're wooded and not desert, etc.

beni soit,

RuneWulf

p.s. as FyreGarnet has told me (via IM), I'm having trouble with pure english, Je m'excuse pour ce, sorrry... but exhaustion makes it harder to stay with "normal" anglais as opposed to cajun.

Blessings,

RuneWulf

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:15 pm

I don't know about everyone else, but I took four years of Spanish and one of French, so honestly, I can basically follow you. Not 100% translate, nor can I respond in kind, but my brain WILL tell me "This is the rough translation" enough to get the majority of what you're saying.

We've got woods, they're not always pretty to walk through, but you can certainly see trees. The good woods are up North, Cook's Forest State Park. And the surrounding areas.

What I don't like is our "Flip a coin" weather. We had sixty degree weather followed by snow a day later. Though, Winter is usually November to March, Spring's got some of March and all of April, Summer normally goes from May to September, and Autumn gets October...eh, parts of Sept and November depending on the winds, I guess. Not an overwhelming amount of snow, but enough rain and fog to bring to mind England. Must have something to do with the three major rivers and their tributaries.

As for job markets, I think the colleges are always looking for people. You've pretty much got a pick here, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania State University, Robert Morris, Point Park, Carnegie Mellon, Duquesne University, Chatam, Seton Hill and Carlow out in Greensburg (about an hour drive from Pittsburgh proper)...but Seton Hill is a Catholic college...then again, so's Duquesne.
The hospitals normally have openings, but I'm not sure. UPMC isn't supposed to be stellar to work for.

Hubby's in IT, so he's sort of aware of the market, thus, I'm aware, but he's in mid-to-high level help desk jack-of-all-trades type of stuff, so I'm not sure about the programmer side of things. I know CMU is always looking for programmers.

Pittsburgh's an old mill town looking for direction, so it's got some problems with the (lack of) growth thing. Frankly, we wish we could go up North near Punxsutawney, where his parents live. Unfortunately, there's fewer jobs up there, so we're sort of stuck. Urgh, I'd get reamed by any lifelong Pittsburgher if they could read this!

Frankly, take the advice of a girl born here, put Pgh on the bottom of your list. Unless you like beer and football. And bridges. Rivers, and taking forever to get anywhere. Oh, and recreation in Pgh is going to the bar to watch the game.

Then again, if you like the sound of what I've spouted, feel free to consider us...I'd be happy to give you direct links to our newspapers or colleges.

Somehow, I get the feeling that I've been less than helpful. Meh. Sorry.

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:41 am

Pgh???? not sure on that acronym, but I hae a feelin it's like home, New Orelans.... much as it's home for me, it's also not a good place career wise/settle down/wise.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:07 am

Pgh is short for Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh PA.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:50 am

I know you want to stay in the USA, but my area is the only one I know well. We get all four seasons, granted with heavy rain in all but summer, we've got good Pagan communities and a high population though mostly new-agey Pagans, and there are lots of IT jobs and companies. I wouldn't recommend anyone fresh out of college come here for IT jobs, because there is a LOT of competition, but someone with your experience would have no trouble. Tonnes of forest. Even living in the city, I am a stone's throw away from mountains and scores of kilometres of forest. By stone's throw, I mean a five-minute walk or a 10-minute drive depending on how deep I want to go.

Hold the intention that you find the place of your dreams, my friend. It will find you.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:27 am

Well, if you're just looking for all four seasons, NY is pretty decent after all.

My neck of the woods is literally woods. And most of this area is referred to as the foothills of the Adirondacks.

I'll hit you up and give you some details.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

runewulf

Post by runewulf » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:55 am

merci... an yes, I love BC... I've thought about moving to Vancouver more than once... and might still end up doing so if I received the right job offer. Right now I'm trying to find areas to focus research on, that's the goal anyway.

Thanks for your replies and keep them coming :-)