Lent and religion questions...

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Lent and religion questions...

Post by Kystar » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:10 pm

...apparently go together...just an observation.

Have you ever had to front the religion question more often during Lent? 90% of the time, when my religion would come up at work or social groups, it would normally be around Lent.

I think lunchtime during the Lent season was when almost every question hit. Only Christmas came close to matching the number of questions I got! And that was only b/c I tended to use "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".

Has anyone else found that their eating habits draw more questions during this time? I'm guessing our Non-meat-eaters wouldn't be questioned as much...unless it's the "What did you give up for Lent?" Inquiry.

After working at his job for two years, Hubby Antaine finally got the "You're not Catholic? What are you?" question when he mentioned us going to a steakhouse for dinner last Friday.

And does anyone know if there are other Christian Denominations that observe Lent...b/c I'm not clear on that. Since my family wasn't really all that strict, I'm not all that sure.

Just curious.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Re: Lent and religion questions...

Post by Willow » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:02 am

I think it is more of a Catholic thing but I know some other groups too.

I don't get asked more that I have noticed, but we do talk more about religion and I am more likely to do religious things with friends like go to mass or eat pancakes on shrove Tuesday and the like.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:42 am

Yes there are other Christian Denominations that observe Lent, I the ones I know personally who took it seriously were Evangelical. It may have just been their personal thing though. The people I went to college with saw Lent as another tradition, like Christmas. They saw Lent as a time to flex their masculine competitive muscles: who would last the longest. Some girls saw it as a good time to start their diets. And everyone ate pancakes, because, well they are yummy. It wasn't taken all that seriously, opt in or out. Now I'm not aware of any of my aquaintances who observe Lent. I think you live in a much more religious area than me.

And no, I think people in my groups only ask about faith at this time if you make a point of saying that you are giving something up for Lent. I find that people talk (argue) more about religion in December.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:17 am

In some Baptist circles, Lent is observed.

Actually, I have never noticed questions come up during Lent. Although I was raised Catholic, the Catholic population in my area is quite low. It's mostly Mennonite and 7th Day, with pockets of Evangelist and Christadelphian.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:44 am

What on earth is a "Christadelphian"? Is it a vegetable, animal, or mineral, I wonder...

Around here, it's just another holiday. Mostly because the people up here are (you can guess) Mormon. They usually, that I've seen, don't observe Lent or any of the regular Christian holidays, but if they do, it's based on their personal choices. I don't think there are any really 'Mormon' holidays other than going to the Temple for a wedding or for baptisms.

Around here, religion is one of those "Don't ask; Don't tell" things. If people do ask, they do it in a (mostly) non-objective way, like a general religious debate. There's a kid in my painting class who loves to rile up the two starched-and-pressed Mormons who sit with us. (One of them uses her religion as an excuse to date 3-4 guys in a month. Ridiculous. ) He once asked me why I never got so angry about religion and what's right/wrong. I told him that, like him, I believe what's right/wrong is based on perspective, knowledge, experience, and choice. Plus I take a non-objective view on everything before I get in depth.

The worst season for religious arguments is pretty much year round, and Christmas. I very much dislike proselytizing religions. (Most of the reason is that I don't see why putting myself in physical danger to preach my religion to someone who is just fine 'where they are' is not what I'd like to spend three years after high school/college doing. I've heard some pretty bad stories of Mormon missionaries being murdered and going missing inside and outside the U.S.) If I know there's a Missionary at the door, I don't answer (unless parents are home, then I have to). We don't see any Jehova's Witnesses around here, because the Missionaries take their business. I guess some are better than others.

I wonder why I never asked this... do any of you who live in mostly Christian and other non-Mormon areas see very many Mormons? I've only lived out of state once and it was weird not to see Missionaries on the street at least once a week. I wasn't really aware how densely Utah was populated by just Mormons.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:35 pm

I think my one roommate was talking to a pair of Mormon missionaries when she lived with us...I'm not entirely sure as I avoided them when they were there. Two 18-19 year old young men wearing name tags that said "Elder", which made me snicker. My two older s-i-s loved to debate with them...but they made me nervous. I looked it up, b/c I remember the phrase "Latter day saints", and yes, I think they were Mormons.

Of course, at the time, I was very solidly on my path, so didn't feel threatened by them. I just didn't like them hanging around. S-i-s Luna made it clear to Habachi (roomie's Dagorhir name) that she didn't care if they came around, so long as one rule was observed. They were NOT allowed in the house. Luna didn't care if it was -20 out...if Habachi wanted to talk to them, they stayed on the porch.

Every so often, you get them trolling about, usually in the more urban areas, like near the colleges. I rarely see them out near my house. When I move, I think I'll see them even more rarely.

To give an idea about my current area...there's like two churches within relative walking distance from my rental house. Down near where Hubby works, there's about six churches of all different types. And both the Byzantine Catholic Church and the Roman Catholic Church have cathedrals in the Pgh Area. I think, actually, more than one.

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:20 pm

As reliable as Wikipedia is... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christadelphian

We have a Mormon church here, but I don't know any Mormons!
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:28 am

I live in Colorado Springs. Supposedly it is one of the Christian capitals of the world. I've run into all kinds here. Many are catholic, many are just simply christian in that they do not specify when I'm talking with them. I've met a number of Mormons as I worked with many of them and there are a lot of Jehovah's Witnesses about. And they are the one's that "troll" many neighborhoods. My parents' neighborhood is far worse. I have yet to get them here at my house. But I'll give it time. I'm sure it will happen and I'll probably come up with a very sarcastic answer if they get out of hand. My friends live in the same neighborhood as my parents, and they had some missionaries come to their house two days in a row. And they even came so early they woke my friends up.

As for the lent question, I really don't hear about it much. Yes we have extreme Christians here that will put proverbs on their license plates and give you christian paraphernalia, but for the most part, they don't talk about it much. But then, I know not to talk about mine too much either.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:07 am

I grew up in a mainly baptist area but now I live in a city so there's all sorts: Sikhs, Muslims, Christians. The only interaction I've had with Mormons is when some cute well-dressed Mormon chaps gave me some leaflets in the street. I could have talked to them aaaall day. We had a few nice Jehovah Witnesses where I grew up, but again I didn't mind talking to them; if they can convert me by sensible conversation I'd be impressed, I've got too many questions!
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:28 am

Speaking of missionaries and such...

I went to my SO's friend's landlord's place to fill an order. They have six kids (and counting, I'm sure), are baptist, and have been showing my SO and his friend Kent Hovind movies. :axe:

As I was filling her order, her sweet little 6 year-old comes up to me and hands me a fake $10,000 bill, with some bible speech written on it. She explains, "This is for people who don't know the Lord. We give them to people so that they will know the LORD. Do ... Do YOU know the Lord??" :aww: All I could say was, "Absolutely," (*without adding "and the Lady, too!"*) O__O
Crazy Healer Lady

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:51 am

My hubby actually looked at a preacher who was talking about "Do you have God in your life? Do you know the Lord?!" on the street once and asked him "Which one?" This was in our early dating days, so needless to say, I was impressed.

That's also his response when someone lets drop the GD bomb. "You have to be specific about these things!" is his counter when they go "What?"

Dark Waters
Level 13
Level 13
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Dark Waters » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:59 pm

A few years back I was going into an adult bookstore, *gasp* yes I am an adult and yes I am interested in such things, anyway ... there was a sidewalker preachie outside and he said that I would never find Jesus in there. I put on a puzzled expression and said "When he came last time, he socialized with sinners, tax collectors and prostitutes. Chances are I'd find him better inside there than out here." The guy just started stumbling and mumbling about.

Last month I had some young teenage JWs trolled up to my door. They gave their standard "Do you know..." spiel when I opened the door. I stopped them and said "Sorry guys, I'm a Pagan." Their eyes got real wide and they were like "You are?!" as if a normal person wasn't what they expected a Pagan to be. I just smiled and told them to have a nice day as I closed the door.
I'm living in the Shadows and the Night,
Wrapped in warm darkness, safe and sure.
My Path shines by the Moon's fragile light,
It frees my Mind and keeps my Heart pure.

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:25 am

Dark waters, great replies there. I love it.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown