Research on the Road

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Research on the Road

Post by Willow » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi Everyone,
so I haven't been around as much as I would like but I am glad to see that the site is pretty busy, with lots of interesting topics too.

I am at a very interesting point in my PhD, I am about to start traveling across Canada and doing interviews, site visits and collecting data, so my access to the PL may be sporadic at best for the rest of the spring/summer as May and August I will be out East and most of June will be spent heading west.

I guess I am a bit nervous, this is a lot of work to put in and I have to pray to the powers that be that my data will support my hypotheses or else this is a lot of time and planning spent for nothing and I will pretty much have to redesign my dissertation from scratch. I will be around less but I am still thinking of you all (and possibly seeing about finally meeting up with one or two of you!). If you are interested, I do keep a blog about my schoolwork (it's listed on my info page or you can PM me). However, as I will be spending a lot of time on the computer transcribing interviews and notes,I might find lots of time to lurk to distract myself from the boredom of transcribing.

Anyway, just an update about my life as it stands school wise, and a chance to verbalize my biggest fear (the complete failure of four years of my life). I have guest lecture this week too so wish me luck! Tell me about any other summer plans, I might have to live vicariously through you crazy people.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Re: Research on the Road

Post by Kitsune » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:37 pm

What is your hypothesis again if you don't mind my asking? What areas in Canada are you traveling to? Depending on where you go you might be able to take an evening off in person with some of your PL friends... At the very least lurking should keep you from going too insane!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:21 pm

You asked for it (Warning, asking graduate students about their research can cause extreme boredom)! I look at religion in Canadian museums (this is pasted from my thesis proposal)

"My hypothesis is that each type of museum will discuss, define and display religion to achieve different goals, resulting in unique expressions of the issues of power, identity and sacred space." I have identified These categories of museums that usually address religion
(1) large general themed institutions:religion will often be discussed under the guise of culture rather than as its own individual topic to avoid excess controversy
(2) Aboriginal museums:will discuss spirituality rather than religion to emphasize their unique traditions and beliefs but also to communicate their rootedness to the land, thereby solidifying their identity and history as existing before and continuing today as a unique part of Canada’s history and identity.
(3) Cultural heritage centres: will emphasize the overlap between religion and culture to communicate the necessity of remembering the history and traditions of the group in order to maintain their distinct identity
(4) Municipal or regional museums: will discuss religion only in the context of religious institutions that played a role in local history
(5) Denominational museums: will use the history of their denomination in Canada to portray their group as a valid and necessary part of Canada’s identity
(6) Living history reconstructions: will acknowledge the role of religion in history through the presence of religious buildings and interpreters in religious costume, but will tread carefully when discussing religion with the public in order to avoid contention with the visitors
(7) museums of world religion such as the Musée des Religions du Monde, will encourage collaboration between curators and religious groups in order to ensure educational communication of the beliefs, values and rituals of the group

And I am coming up with a new hypothesis about war museums and memorial museums and civil/state religion, which would make an even 8.

Just think, you too can write a dissertation!!! I still want to read your book though, I need something totally different to distract me at night. I will let you and CHL know when I am heading out your way, coffee with a friendly face while on the road is always nice.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:31 pm

I'm still working on the editing phase of it, but when I'm done, I'll let you know! I'll probally end up having to send it to you as a word document of some sort. I'm about half way done the editing now, and after the editing is finished I can do the re-write... That's most likely the copy you'll be getting.

It sounds like a really interesting subject. You'll have to put up a copy (in laymans terms) of your findings... I'd love to see the "Cliff Notes" when you're done!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:41 pm

I was replying and then had to dart!

Hun you'll do awesome! Those are GREAT! If you come through this way, I can show you a few great places to check out.

Xa:Tem is right near to where I live, and I can look for more. U'mista Cultural Centre, Vancouver museums, etc... LOTS of Aboriginal and cultural centres here.

Yes, let me know when you'll be out this way! I will take you Here!!!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:33 am

That sounds like a very interesting hypothesis. Would love to see it when you're done researching and writing it up!! :-D Good luck, and have lots of fun on your Road Trip!!
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:16 pm

Willow your thesis sounds great! I love hearing about other people's study, it always makes me slightly envious. Keep us updated when you have your hypothesis about war museums and memorial museums. Enjoy your trip!
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:37 pm

Xa:Tem is right near to where I live, and I can look for more. U'mista Cultural Centre, Vancouver museums, etc... LOTS of Aboriginal and cultural centres here.
CHL, I am definitely keeping in touch because that particular area is on my list of places to visit, you aren't near hazelton too at all are you?

In other research news, I just got a new macbook, I am pretty much all stocked up. I just need ethics approval now.

Anyone know a spell to cut through red tape?

And you will all hear about my research, if you ever can't sleep just e-mail me and I I'll send you a chapter to edit, you will be out before you know it.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:15 pm

Willow wrote:And you will all hear about my research, if you ever can't sleep just e-mail me and I I'll send you a chapter to edit, you will be out before you know it.
Willow, I hate to tell you this, but I've studied Insurance... If I can stay awake through chapters of that, I'm certain that I can stay awake for something I actually find interesting!

But I'll email you if I ever want to put that to the test. :-D

How long will you be on the road for? (I don't know how long they give you to "study" your subject...)

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:06 am

LOL, ok, with insurance you have me beat.

I will be in NB and PEI for two weeks, I am looking at a full two weeks in NFLD. I haven't planned for NS yet.

The west, well I will be on the road for at least a month. Stupid Ontario takes FOREVER to get out of so I am thinking I will zip through my home province and do more research here later and focus on being out west for at least a month. I think I have until about october/November to get every thing done.
Quebec, well that will just be heck, and I don't think I will get to Nunavut, it is just too darned expensive and hard to get around.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:22 am

Hazelton is a good 12 hours drive from me... but Xa:Tem is down the road! The U'mista Cultural Centre is just an hour + drive, a quick ferry trip, and another hour or so drive away :)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:21 am

OK, so updates.

My research in PEI and New Brunswick went really well, I love the maritimes, but I know for sure now that I am not meant to live out there. Transcribing is a pain the butt.

I leave tomorrow for out west! 3 straight days of driving and I get to Manitoba and the fun begins. I am doing a mix of couch surfing, taking advanatage of summer student dorms and hostels. I have a good amount of time planned up inthe Yukon which has me very excited, I have always wanted to go, I have given myself Sundays off to recover and hike and canoe in some cases.

I have changed some of my focus, I want to do research on military museums, but they aren't very receptive so I won't have enough samples to say anything conclucive, so that is one of my research variables out the window, probaby for the best. I am also meeting the Academic God in my area of research while in edmonton...I can't wait!

If anyone wants updates I keep a fairly regular blog at www.shellybellysbrain.blogspot.com, generally I make fun of everything to do with being an academic. Hopefully I will have internet access once in a while so I can be a little more regular ont he site, it looks like some interesting characters have moved in. And some are back who I have missed RUNEWOLF!!! (He so smart).

^Totally on another side note, my cat has been sick, she is vomiting a l0t (twice a week) and the vet thinks she may have an irritable stomach disorder, I am trying to slowly switch her to bland food and she is not happy about that at all. So much going on in the world I feel bad worrying about Newt (her name) while I am away.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:01 am

Hey, speaking of which, let us know when you'll be in Calgary... Me and my husband bought a new home, and we'd love to have you over for dinner for a night (so long as it's after July 1, at least)... If you'll be here before then, we'll have to go out somewhere... Packing means that we have nothing out and about in the house... :P ](*,)

I'm glad your research is going well, and I hope Newt starts feeling better soon... I was panic-y enough when my Minkers kitty got sick and I was there to help him feel better... let alone not being able to be there for him.

I'll send a bit of Reiki his way, hopefully that'll help. [-o<