Buying a house!

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Re: Buying a house!

Post by Lotus » Mon May 04, 2009 11:33 pm

Hopefully cleared in most haste. Mercury is about to go retrograde and may make things go haywire. You've got a few days before that happens. ;) Luck shined on you since Venus ended it's retrograde and you were far away from the Mercury one on the closing day.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Tue May 05, 2009 4:22 am

Wow, Lotus, I'm impressed.

As much as I enjoy astrology, I've never been able to read it (or understand why mercury in retrograde is bad). I did have somebody read me my birth one a few years ago. A friend of mine who's a professional. Anyways, that's really quite cool. I should get you to do mine! :lol:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Tue May 05, 2009 8:27 am

Well, the rental is moving forward slowly but surely. If we get help, and things go okay, we should have the place cleared by tonight. Not much place to PUT anything in the new house, but meh, we'll deal.

The pipe/drain issue, that's another deal.

The plumber snaked the drain...and it's got a mud pack somewhere in it...which means that somewhere between our house and the municipal line is a cracked or broken pipe.

We've been advised to "use the toilet sparingly" until it can be looked at/fixed...and to be careful doing laundry or dishes. Hubby and I have agreed that hitting a laundromat is our best bet.

Unfortunately, the warranty doesn't cover a clog from a broken pipe...so since he found mud, we had to pay for the whole thing. AND we have to pay to have a camera put down the blasted drain. Depending on where the break is, it's POSSIBLE that the water co. might need to pay...but that's only if it's outside of our property line. If it's one they say WE own...we're stuck. Hubby is looking to see if the homeowner's insurance we just got might help pay for this. I have to call the camera plumber today to get it set up, but I've been running errands since 8 AM and I'm taking an hour lunch!

*Sigh* Off to troll the internet.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27

Post by Lotus » Tue May 05, 2009 7:10 pm

Kitsune wrote:Wow, Lotus, I'm impressed.

As much as I enjoy astrology, I've never been able to read it (or understand why mercury in retrograde is bad). I did have somebody read me my birth one a few years ago. A friend of mine who's a professional. Anyways, that's really quite cool. I should get you to do mine! :lol:

Oh, believe me, I am not that cool (ie: professional). Astrology is simply an area that I study and pay close attention to.

Back on topic:
I would imagine that the city would be responsible for a cracked pipe. However, I have no clue on this matter.

BB
Lotus

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Tue May 05, 2009 8:49 pm

PA is weird in that if it's on your side of the property line, it's YOUR problem.

If it's on THEIR side of the line, then THEY fix it.

It's hard to figure out which is which, though.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed May 06, 2009 7:04 am

Oh Kystar! One thing after another, but let's hope it is THEIR problem and you can get all that fixed asap!

The same thing happens with BC Hydro over here. They will fix any electrical problem up to and including one electrical pole branching off of the main. Anything past that, your problem.

Good luch my dear!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed May 06, 2009 11:27 am

Had things looked at today (and another $200 bites the dust.) It's literally RIGHT in the corner of the house...the plumber thinks the foundation shifted slightly (not enough to damage the house itself, but enough to pop a terracotta pipe, if that's what it is, or enough to damage an old iron one so that it pops)...and will require excavation and stuff to repair.

Homeowner's insurance doesn't touch that with a 20 foot pole...so I'm basically stuck. Their advice was to talk to the lawyer from the closing to see if we have just cause to crawl up the seller's backside. After all, they didn't tell us there were problems...just said they had the system "flushed" a "few years ago", but never hinted that it could be a reoccurring problem. I'm not sure if there's any solution there. We're basically praying to get the tax bonus back ASAP so that we can pay for this...or find out if our one credit card still has enough go juice in it to pay for it until the tax bonus shows up. But, we're looking at a two day project costing $2500!

I just want to cry. And we're STILL not moved out of the rental.

I'm going to slink back into my hole for a while and try and defragment myself until it's time to go work on the rental.

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Wed May 06, 2009 11:58 am

No sinking into holes! Trust in your guides. These things have a way of working themselves out.

I think the lawyer is probably the best bet. I'll be sending a little charged Intent down to PA for you to help with that.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Wed May 06, 2009 8:05 pm

davisherm wrote:No sinking into holes! Trust in your guides. These things have a way of working themselves out.

I think the lawyer is probably the best bet. I'll be sending a little charged Intent down to PA for you to help with that.
Thanks for the energy. We're going to look into our options...we've talked to the Homeowner's insurance...and we've sent a message to the agent we used to find the house...if she comes back with another vote for the lawyer, we might give them a call. Don't want to spend the money on a messy legal battle if we don't have to...however, if I check the Warranty ppl and they're a no go...we might need to see about stomping on someone, legally.

As for the hole...I realized after I read your response that I didn't mention where I was going to get computer access! #-o

Because of how we had trouble with the move, things are very disjointed here...and our only internet access is in the far corner of the living room, where the tech installed the modem long before we brought things in...to avoid crushing cables, everyone stacked boxes away from the modem/tv/hub. The wireless isn't working...so to get to the internet, I have to take our laptop, go around/over/through a wall of boxes that comes up to my chest and sit in the corner next to the modem so I can plug straight in.

It feels like a hole, or a battlement, so I started telling my friends via IM that I was in my Internet Hole...and they knew what i meant. I forgot I hadn't said it yet here. LOL. :hiding:

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27

Post by Lotus » Wed May 06, 2009 8:17 pm

I am not going to tell you how to run your finances but, charging it is never a good idea. I pray that things do not come to you having to pull plastic. [-o<

I truely hope that things work out for the best and that you get the home you deserve. Now here is my fantasticly dumb question of the day: Does it really have to be fixed?
Perhaps it is something you guys can hold off for a time? After all the other owner lived like this for a time, right?

BB
Lotus

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu May 07, 2009 6:19 am

Lotus, I don't like the idea of charging it either, but if that's our last option...to charge it, and pay the credit card off when we get the tax money back, we'll do it.

And YES, it has to be fixed. I can't take a poop in my house, can't use the dishwasher or the clothes washer, or even drain my bathtub normally after a bath without worrying about having RAW SEWAGE backing up into my garage. I can't put my cats' litter boxes in the basement because I don't want them getting into raw sewage and getting sick. We have FECAL matter in our garage! That's a HUGE health hazard! We can't use the basement OR the garage for ANYTHING if this keeps happening, and there's a good chance anything we have temporarily stored there right now is going to need thrown out. We already know that Hubby's desk hutch is contaminated beyond safety, it's particle board and an open end is sitting in what was the puddle. If it doesn't get fixed, and it happens again, we could end up replacing half our office furniture b/c we had to put it in the garage for the time being. We're going to need to totally detox it all as it is, bleach wipe everything down and pray the smell doesn't linger. And even if we get all the furniture out, there's still the matter of it being a massive health hazard. we could probably get into scads of trouble from the Health Department for NOT getting it fixed.

I'm not sure HOW the seller "Lived with it" except to say that it appears this woman did NOTHING to maintain the property while she lived here beyond basic housecleaning, and fixing some of the results of a catastrophic failure of a toilet. And I do mean SOME. The bedroom floor, and probably the hallway floor, is really badly water damaged in places.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm yelling, but this situation is pushing me to the edge of my tether. Can you imagine how hard it is to live normally when you have to do your dishes in three dish increments? Or to have to drain your bathtub by seconds on/minutes off? I have to make plans to either go to a laundromat or drive 45 mins to a friend's house and do our laundry there. Not sure which is cheaper. The laundromat is close, but costs money. His place is free to use the stuff, but costs gas. Dunno.

ARgh, I'm going to sign off now, before I continue to mindlessly rant.

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27

Post by Lotus » Thu May 07, 2009 11:52 am

Sorry. :-( I guess that I did not understand the extent of everything.
I do not understand, then, how she was able to live with the situation. How could one not notice? :ANAL:

Then again, when my friend bought her house in Akron the former owners were using the basement drain as a bathroom. She had to pump a good deal of work into the house to get it liveable. She was lucky that her brother was a professional contractor.

BB
Lotus

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Thu May 07, 2009 12:58 pm

It's okay, >:D< I realized that I might not have been clear in earlier posts that it was that nasty in what was "backing up".

ICK, who would...what the? Nevermind, I don't want to contemplate the idea of what kind of person would pop a squat in their garage.

As for the seller, she seemed to be the type to do the bare minimum to live here comfortably, so she probably didn't use the garage and if she saw it was backed up, she'd get a plumber to clear it out...and never ask WHY it would do that.

After all, the back wall of the shed is crumbling...the furnace wasn't inspected in the entire 15 years she owned the place. At all! Negligence. That's really all it is.

We're hoping we can find the disclosure and see if she mentioned the sewer backed up more than once...b/c the plumber says this had to happen at least every few months since the pipe broke...and that it's an old pipe...and looked like an old break. If she doesn't mention it, or downplays it, we might be able to go after her for misleading us.

davisherm

Post by davisherm » Thu May 07, 2009 1:58 pm

Ugh. I feel your pain. I was fortunate that we didn't end up with this kind of situation.

One of the places my wife and I looked at was actually a winterized summer camp. The money was ballpark what we could do and the land was great, just a bit off the beaten path.

There's no sewer line out that far and there was never a septic system installed.

Every drain in the building went to a hole in the basement where there was a sump-pump that pushed it all outside into a latrine pit that was hidden in a clump of trees. We walked out of that place in a hurry. Turns out our agent didn't know anything about any of the properties she was showing us and most of them had serious issues. That one was the extreme, but every other place in our price range was just plain awful. If we didn't need the land, we'd have been able to find a place in the city for half the price and in good condition. Alas.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Thu May 07, 2009 7:23 pm

You did have your home inspected right? When you talk to your lawyer (or check on your own) ask if the home inspector could have missed something he shouldn't have. After all, if it's been doing this while she was there then the inspector really should've caught something about it.

I don't know the state laws though, so it might be one of those "Well, we don't have to check that" sort of things.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews