Buying a house!

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Buying a house!

Post by Kystar » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:33 am

Okay, guys, just a life update for me.

We're buying a house. Signed the offer yesterday, got a counter, considered it, and accepted it. It's a cute 2 BR in a nicer part of Allegheny county...close to the border to Westmoreland (For you Pgh natives...then again, I don't remember seeing Stormy around lately). Anyways...we're signing final paperwork today...and scheduling the inspections starting next week...so you might not hear from me much, and if you do...it'll be brief.

Provided the inspections don't reveal anything foul and loathsome, we'll be closing on April 24th. And then we go into the wonderful craziness of packing, painting, cleaning, moving, and cleaning again. hex: (B/c we want to at least TRY to get our deposit back from this rental!) There might be a bit of Appliance shopping in there...b/c I don't think they're leaving the fridge...sigh. Oh well.

Anyways...just wanted to give an update, as I think you guys would be interested to know!
L8r
~K
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Buying a house!

Post by Max » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:30 am

Exciting stuff! Enjoy the new place :-)
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:42 am

Fantastic! Congratulations!!!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:09 pm

WOOT! Congrats honey! :-D
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:15 am

Congratulations! I what all of the house buying stuff is like... I hope you enjoy your new place!

When is your accepting date or since I can't remember the real term, when do you move in? :-D =D>
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:48 am

Well, we're scheduling the inspections on Monday, and provided those don't turn up anything that makes us run for the hills, we're scheduled to close on April 24th, which is when we get the keys.

We can move in anytime after the 24th, as long as the closing goes properly. I'm a little nervous b/c the closing costs mean we have to basically pull money out of various sources of credit b/c we have just enough put aside for the down payment...but we do have options, and we're probably not going to break the bank doing this...so good.

So, this weekend starts the organizing, cleaning, sorting craziness here at my house. Sigh. Oh well. Sometimes you need to chuck parts of the past to get to the future.

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:32 am

That is wonderful news. I am happy you will no longer be enslaved to rentals.

I am told that new home owners will be "house poor" for a while.

BB
lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:32 pm

Well, first thing that we've done is we're buying a house that the monthly payments come in at almost the exact same as our rent. You wouldn't believe how so many people actually try to buy a house outside of their monthly payment means!
Secondly, we're looking at things to cut back on...extras we don't need. Like, for example, since neither of us really watch all that much TV and what we do watch is available online...we're dumping our satellite service.

Though, we're going to have to pay for the moving truck...paint, carpet cleaning and all that...we should be pretty good b/c we're going to try and budget around the paydays as much as possible.

But, yes, we will be horribly broke for a while until things settle.

However, good news is that we drove the neighborhood in more detail today...there's a park with a public pool and walking trail within walking distance from the house...and a little library branch there! The Carnegie Library it says...so hopefully my library card will work! And if it is, I'll be able to request books from ALL OVER Allegheny County...YAY! \:D/
So, even if I end up loosing my gym membership...a pool and park are nice compensation prizes. Plus, I can take my nephew to the playground of hugeness when he visits!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:13 am

Wow, nice Neighborhood!

I hope your library card works! Is the pool indoor or outdoor? Does it matter to you? (Here in Canada, our outdoor pools are only open two months a year... Maybe three months on a good year.)

I remember seem to remember that you live somewhere warmer, so that's good at least!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:59 am

I live in Pittsburgh area, Pennsylvania, and outdoor pools are usually open from May until early September if they're public. As for the library, I'm not sure if my current card will work, but it's not like a library card is hard to get!

It's sort of an in-between neighborhood. Not quite suburban, not quite small-town. It's on the outskirts of three areas that are considering more "urban" than itself...so it's got ways to get to places like malls and that...but it's got the small town street layout. I think it's neat.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:31 am

Kitsune, at our conference yesterday (which was held at a Best Western room with 700ppl), I was surprised to look outside and see people walking in their swimming gear! They had a heated outdoor pool and hot tub!! I wonder how much energy that wastes? but I can't say I wasn't envious ;)
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:01 pm

If I were to have a lot of money, I'd love to build my cabin right by a natural hot spring. That would be heaven...

Since that probally wouldn't be possible, I could see myself hiring people to make me a "permanent hot spring" near the house. Wasteful, yes... Needed for relaxation after writing, also yes... which would make it worth it.

Hmm, perhaps a solar hot spring?

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:15 pm

Sounds like a good neighborhood to me. I am actually excited for you about this. I feel like you both will be really happy with this new change.

I need to brush off the dust on my library card actually, I need to brush off the dust on purchased books that I have yet to read. My days off have been devoted to cleaning and errands.
Always nice to have a library down the road. :-D

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:37 am

Congrats on the house!!!! It is really nice to be out of Rentals right now and from what I understand, this is a good time to buy if you can.

I can't wait to hear about it (or see pictures).

So do you never bring an old broom into a new house (not tranfer problems - Scottish tradition) or do you always keep your old broom because it knows how to get into corners (jamaican tradition)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57

Post by Kystar » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:54 am

Actually, it depends on how foul the broom gets when cleaning up the previous place before I leave! LOL.

I actually assign no particular superstition to a broom. Never seemed to stick in my head.

But, I won't use the same smudge stick in a new place that was used to cleanse the old one...not for the first cleansing. After the first cleansing, I'll use whatever comes to hand, but for that initial cleansing, I won't use the same stick. Odd, isn't it?