Barnes & Noble Drama

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Sanctaignis
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Barnes & Noble Drama

Post by Sanctaignis » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:11 pm

So I was at Barnes & Noble, kind of giving "The Solitary Witch" a test read before I bought it. And I decided it was a good idea to buy it since it was very informative for beginners aswell as intermidiates. So when my mother gets back to pick me up, she sees it and gives me the "look". The look of judgement/close-mindedness. She asks "Why do you believe that stuff is real?"... she is a Christian so I asked her why she thinks the Bible is real. She doesn't respond. So then she tells me not to buy it and to let her talk to me about it.

Later she tells me that she is worried about the danger involved in the use of magick, saying that it is amazing what can happen to the mind. I agree, magick is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. So it kind of got me angry due to her basically insulting my intelligence, thinking that I would just go do magick without knowing what I am doing.

So yeah thats how my night went, how about yours? \:D/
"Carpe Omnes"

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: Barnes & Noble Drama

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:50 pm

Be a shining example for your chosen path :) Best way to do it. Have a heart-to-heart talk with her about why you feel this sings your soul, without any jarring comments.

Heheh, when I was little, I thought you had to believe in the Christian GOD or you didn't believe in anything, and I didn't believe in that deity. My mom was so upset, she cried, and all I could say was, "I'm sorry. I just don't." Years later I realized what Paganism is, and that I believe in divinity, what I believe to be the same divinity, but not the same form (Christianity). My mom likes it much better than nothing! haha.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:49 am

Well, at least think of it this way: it's nice that she cares! As long as you talk to her in a reasonable, calm way about your faith when you explain it to her and don't give her any reason to be frightened, she'll come round. Bookshops are a good place to talk. Give her a genuine answer to that question "why do you think it's real?" and not a defensive, agressive stance. Actually it's a hard one, why do we believe in anything...?
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:03 pm

Max wrote:Actually it's a hard one, why do we believe in anything...?
The answer to that I'm afraid is another quesiton - How can we believe in ourselves, if we can't believe in anything else?

The simple truth of the matter, is that to have faith, to have a belief in something, is a very human reaction and need to circumstances we often find ourselves in. As is lack of faith and belief. I quite honestly could live my life without faith or belief in something divine .. But then, my life would be colourless, boring, needless, pointless. To have a belief in something like divinity, it makes life shine for you, it gives your life direction. That I guess is the essence of "why do we believe in anything". We have to believe in something to be able to believe in ourselves, to believe in other people, to believe that society will do the right thing (not that it ever does anymore .. but we can hope!) etc etc etc. Belief in one thing, can eventually stem into belief for other things. If it can be applied to yourself, to other people, to society etc, why can it not extend to our ascended masters, our guides, our protectors, our gods or divinity? Indeed, it is one of those questions that could keep a group of debaters up all night throwing back and forth questions and answers. That, is my answer to the question lol (well, as best it can be when I've only been awake for 20 mins lol).

And back on topic ... Sanctaignis , I think Max made a good point - at least your mother is willing to care about your faith. Some parents don't at all, and couldn't care less what their kids end up dabbling in. If you're smart about it, if you're careful about it, and if you're willing to put in the time to do the reading and studying before you finally dedicate yourself wholly to being pagan/wiccan/whatever tickles your fancy; then you can answer your mother's question with an educated, well thought out, and well researched answer as to why this particular set of beliefs suits you better than her particular set of beliefs. We're all different, we're all looking for something different to everyone else while we are here on this level of existence .. It's just that not alot of people realise it. Stay strong, stay true to yourself, and have patience. Everything will work out in the end :-D
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~