I am officially out of touch

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Willow
Level 86
Level 86

I am officially out of touch

Post by Willow » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:30 am

Just have to say, I knew this day would come, I just hoped it wouldn't come so soon.

(1) A few of my really young cousins are on facebook, I can't understand what they say! I don't know short forms or anything agh!

(2) The classic rock station is playing things from when I was in grade/high school

(3) I have no clue what twittering is, I can't make youtube upload photos and I am afraid of cellphones with Cameras

(4) I watched Robin hood men in tights with one of the cousins, who didn't get it at all

(5) I don't get today's cartoons.

(6) I used a U2 song as an example in my University class, and the students had now clue what or who I was talking about

I am not ready to be irrelevant! I am only 27, my kids and I aren't even going to speak the same language at this rate!!!

BTW, this is mostly a toungue in cheek rant, I don't need sympathy, just comiseration. :hug:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

raventears
Level 2
Level 2

Re: I am officially out of touch

Post by raventears » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:46 am

dont worry it will get better you shall see ronin hood men in tights is awesome
jack skellington is my husband

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:24 pm

I remember when my father got his first cell phone.......yeah. :lol: :roll: l

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:40 pm

I feel your pain, Willow. The Classic Rock station is playing NIRVANA for crying out loud!! and my jokes are lost on the youngins
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:55 pm

That's what did it!!! Nirvana and green day! I was like "these aren't classic, this stuff is still new and hot."

I can't even work a DVD player, and I have to get a new cell phone and it is so overwhelming. Can't you get a phone that is just a phone!

I need to go get my cane and eat some strained prunes. This oldie is going to bed and hoping she wakes up back in 1992.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Maelroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Maelroth » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:51 pm

I fully agree w/ the phone thing I just got a new one and have no clue what or how the stuff works, thank goodness it doesn't take pics.

27 huh? I turn 41 in 4 days, I hardly speak your language much less comprehend anything my children do or say sometimes. =P~ #-o :-k
Not all who wander are lost-Tolkien

Religion is like a finger pointing to the moon, we must not get so involved in the finger that we forget where it points.

Maelroth B*B!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:04 pm

At 27 I can understand a bit what you're going through (especially since I'm only 29)... But Crazy, I hate to say it... I consider you one of the youngin's. From what I can tell, in our day and age at least, 5 years really does make a difference!

I'm not quite as worried about my own irrelevancy though. When I was 10-14, I listened to 50's (okay, and some 60's) music. Then the early 90's came around, and I listed to some 80's music. I listed to some of the 90's music, but didn't really start liking it till after the year 2000. Nowadays, I listen to some of everything, with some Spanish, and a bootful of Japanese music thrown in there for good measure. I know how to use most modern devices, my cellphone has a camera, and a 2gig memory card to hold music for me, and my new computer is a netbook with a Linux system. I still watch cartoons, even cartoons from this year (so long as they're japanese... If it ain't anime, it had better be important!).

I think I look in the face of "What I should be doing" and laugh, and continue doing what I wanted to. I suppose that is one benefit to growing up lonely, different, overweight, and critical... I never worry about things like me becoming irrelevant. :badgrin:

I say, revel in it! After all, we all need to become teachers in our own time, right?
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:01 am

The thing is, I can feel some of the age difference with you, Kitsune, particuarly because you bring out my inner child. However, most of my close friends range from 23 to 65, and I do not feel the age difference, you know, except for when talk of 70's drama comes in, or Rod Stewart.

Willow, a DVD player???

Cellphone cameras come in very handy. I get to show product displays right from my phone ^_^ Chris and I got the new-ish Blackberry Curve 8330's and love the little things!

My mother in-law, though... drives a half hour from the boonies just to get my boyfriend to change the CD in her car's cd player... Luckily she doesn't drive that often. I sent that one in to College Humour's "Parents Just Don't Understand" column. (I turned into a sucker for the mindless cr*p humour in my bedboundedness not long ago... I regret nothing!)
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:16 am

The only thing that has made me feel old and out of it recently was playing Tetris on Xbox live last night.

Now, I don't know about those players who WEREN'T wearing microphones, but the ones who WERE sounded ten. I played against one little girl until almost one, when a parent made her stop, and couldn't help but think, "Why can't I play with someone who actually remembers this from the NES?"

I understand that it's one of those competitive games that is safe for kids...probably why I remember it from years and years ago...but it made me feel totally old.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:29 pm

I like the new avatar.

My sister or husband works the DVD player, if it takes any more effort than inserting the DVD, I get lost.

I love tetris, I could seriously play it for hours. :rolleyes:
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:09 pm

Bah. Books are better than DVDs anyways.

By the way, Kystar: Love your avatar! I want to get a Baby Richard on a shirt, but they only come in baby sizes ;)
Crazy Healer Lady

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:02 pm

Thanks for the avatar huzzah!

I want the hoodie sweatshirt that says "Rejoice, for bad things are about to happen!" with Richard chasing his familiar...but unfortunately, I don't have the money right now.

Looking for Group is awesome!
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:41 pm

Amen CHL, there is something so satisfying about having a stack of books to be read. Not the same feeling from having a stack fo DVD's to watch.

On that note though, my husband now has me hooked on Battlestar galactica, darn him! Like I needed another distraction.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)