NaNoEdMo

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

NaNoEdMo

Post by Kitsune » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:52 am

Just in case anybody was thinking of doing it with me... NaNoEdMo is coming up soon. National Novel Editing Month is starting March 1, and the challange is to edit one of your previously written books (NaNoWriMo written or other) for 50 hours in the month of March.

I'll be giving it a shot this year (although, what with taking a weekly writing course, writing a second full book and a new novella, taking a weekly course in insurance, GM'ing for at least two games, working full time, studying for the final insurance exam come April 4, and searching for a home during that month as well since we're hoping to find a place and move in April 1, so count in packing as well), I might be too busy to finish my full 50 hours.

However, if anybody wants to check it out, I'll be there as Feytouched, and hanging out on the boards!
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: NaNoEdMo

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:22 pm

Is there a NaNoPubMo? :lol:
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:15 pm

No... But there is a NaNoPubYe.

And before you get too excited, I'll just clarify, that it stands for National Novel Publishing Year, and they challange you to get published... I haven't read all the info on that one yet... I believe they have a set of challenges as well, but I'm not certain what they are...

Anyways, I probally won't be doing that one this year... :-" I'll wait until next year! :badgrin:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:44 am

Well, I started looking into some creativ writing classes, so who knows, maybe in a few years I will have the skill to do a nanowrimo.

In the mean time, the UNiversity has a whole course dedicated to sci-fi fantasy writing. I think I might have to look into it!

A month of editing,...good luck, that is a lot of thinking.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Editing is my favourite part ^___^

Ah, I could do a year of trying to publish. Heck, I'm already going global with my other efforts. Might as well get this one down, too.

No wonder my Guides said 22 would be a year of building... Mmmmhmmm. "When am I going to do/get all the things I am dreaming of!!!? I'm sick and tired of waiting around and working and getting nowhere!!!!" "23." "Why not 22?" *explains* "But... but... what about... OK."

We'll see how it goes with the publishing. Maybe once I'm better in with my contacts and make a bunch more. Maybe that's why I've procrastinated, Kitsune! I'm going to meet the right contact who is going to show me the right publisher and teach me THE way to do it! (either way, it's all good.)
Crazy Healer Lady

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:58 pm

*Pops out from behind a post and grins, panting.* BOO! :-"

Sorry I've been invisible so darn long, school is getting hard. Speaking of creative writing, I took a semester of it and just recently found out that it's a senior credit! So I have some of my senior English credits done. I've decided to slack on my writing as I need to get caught up in English because I'm failing. (This is the only year since 3rd grade I've not failed more than ONE class. Only one.) Although I do edit for a friend of mine, I've since given up at that too. But I have intentions of continuing writing. Or at least tid bits. All in all, I'm happy to be back for a bit.... again.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:19 am

Well, every year, Forum Motion offers a 2 year course in writing... Free!

The only request Zette (the moderator and lesson giver) has is that you start with a completely fresh idea... She says that the course works better if you have little to nothing solidified when you start. I'm really enjoying it thus far, and the nice thing about it is that you get once class a week, and no time limit to finish it. If you happen to need a month, you can take that time off and try to catch up afterwards. I'm really enjoying it!

And editing is great. I can't wait to get started on next month. I started printing off my book so that I would have a paper copy for editing. I used up 27 pages on one inkjet cartridge, then had it refilled at the mall, and I'm going back today to get it refilled a second time, since I still have about 40 pages to go. My current page total is 193 all at Size 12 Times New Roman. And I've already figured out that I need to write another 1-3 chapters to make everything make sense!

Ah, editing is a lot of work, but so satisfying!

Remember Nanowrimo isn't about writing something good, it's writing something... And if you're not writing at all because you're waiting for the time to be right, keep it mind that it will never be right. That's why Nanowrimo is brilliant for me... It reminds me that if I'm waiting for the time to be right, that it's not going to be.

Sort of like Crazy's new stuff... Eventually you realize that if you want to do it, there's no point hoping it'll all come together as you need it to, so you just have to get out there and do it!

I'll step off the soapbox now though... For some reason I feel horribly uncomfortable when I realize that I've pulled one out. Mainly when I start wondering who will read this post and say "Man, she never gives up on the whole "Nano" thing!". ](*,)

:lol: :badgrin: :lol:

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:31 am

I find editing very hard, when it is done it is satisfying, but it feels like a process that never ends.

Personally I love the brainstorming and organizing phase best.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Crazy Healer Lady

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:44 am

Kitsune wrote:For some reason I feel horribly uncomfortable when I realize that I've pulled one out. Mainly when I start wondering who will read this post and say "Man, she never gives up on the whole "Nano" thing!".
Hunny, it's your passion. Grab it and don't let go. And if people get annoyed with it, let them go. Short way of saying it, :censored: them. They're not supporting your dreams so why should you have them in your space? If they're not supporting it, they're dragging you down, because they're at the vibration you're trying to get out of. Maybe they will come back, maybe they won't. Don't let anything interfere with your dreams.
Crazy Healer Lady

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:44 am

Ditto to CHL, I think it is the same as me talking about my half marathon training, it's just a different type of discipline and you are passionate about it! I love hearing about it and can't waitt o read one of these books!
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:47 pm

I can't wait to get started. I found a great editing tip today, so I'll be using that one.

As soon as I've finished the editing the first draft, I'll read through it once more, and then start sending it to a few of my Beta testers for an outside critique. Then, based on those critiques, I'll do another edit to clear things up, read through it once more, and then I'll start sending it in to publishers. After two edits, I'm going to have caught anything I'm going to catch, so the editor at the publishing house can advise me on any other changes.

I've got a plan, a bit of a timeline, and I've even still got the drive to do it (soon, I'm going to have been on the writing thing for a solid year... For my water personality, this has got to be a record)..

Don't worry, I'll keep you all informed as to any future publishings! Besides Willow, you did say you wanted to be one of my Beta Testers, right? :badgrin:

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:50 am

Fo Sho!

That would be the coolest job description ever! Beta tester! I will just put it on my resume and let people assume I audition fighting fish!
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Mahala
Level 15
Level 15
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Mahala » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:23 am

I lost my bookmarks a while ago and lost the link to the Writer's Retreat... Could anyone post the link for me? I was headed there to ask if anyone knew anything about novel plot worksheets for writing your own book. I seem to have a problem keeping my plots organized and on track, and I think a worksheet will help.

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:04 pm

Definately... I keep trying to get people to go there, but to no avail. At least I know why you haven't been there the last little while.

http://www.writersretreat.darkbb.com

For anybody who hasn't heard of it before, I have a second forum that keeps dying out and then rejuvinating itself. ](*,) ](*,) :-({|=

It's for writers so that they can have a place to talk about their habit... Also, hopefully to find new hints for editing, writing, getting past writers block, finding open-minded critiques at.

I'm pretty stern with the memberrship though... Follow the instructions mentioned in my newbie section if you're a hard core writer.