Crazy morning

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Crazy morning

Post by Lotus » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:42 pm

Well, I had a fun morning today.
I get to work at four in the morning (getting up at three) after driving through the snow/ice storm craziness. The day goes on until about six in the morning when this guy comes in and tries to use some woman’s credit card to pay for his gasoline. I politely explain to the man that since his name is not “Blanche” then I could not possibly accept this as payment. He proceeds to emphatically explain to me that the woman (who owns the card) is his wife.
According to company policy and legally, even though it is his wife’s card, I cannot accept it as payment for the transaction. I tell him that she has to come with legal identification and swipe the card herself. Meanwhile, I told him that I could call the bank number on the back of the card to see if he is an authorized user of the card. You can tell the bank that so-in-so is allowed to use your card and all the clerk would do is call to verify. While I was on the phone to the bank, he drives off to get his wife.
This woman comes in screaming at me and accusing me of being a liar and a Racist. Mind you this was obviously an African immigrant couple (not African American). She screamed at me that I was wrong and that I need an Education. I tell her that I do indeed have an Education and am not Racist in the slightest bit and am just doing my job as a Clerk. I state that she owes me an apology for her rude words.
She continues to whine that she has rights in this country now that she is a citizen. I tell her that I have rights as well. She then makes a statement that really pisses me off, “You do not have rights because you are racist.”
Now if anyone reads the American Bill of Rights and the Constitution they would realize that even *if* I were racist I would still have rights. I have the right to believe whatever I would like to believe. Also, since when does the rights of some immigrant trump the rights of someone who was born and raised there!!!!!
I forget which former Supreme Court Justice said this but, “My right to wave around my fist ends at my neighbors nose.”

The man ushered the woman out and came back about an hour later. He apologized for her saying that he understood that I was just doing my job. I let it go because the fight was not worth continuing. My SO says that I should not have accepted his apology at all since she was nasty and cowardly.

We have both noticed this attitude among many of the people with African ethnicity here lately. Ever since Obama won certain people believe they can treat Caucasian individuals like crap and use racial slurs against them. The day before some African American yelled at one of our other clerks because she could not break a hundred dollar bill right away saying, “you better be careful….you skinny white girl.”
There seems to be a reverse racism thing going on now.
I have never cared about what race someone is or their gender or religion. Normally, I am fine with people until they try to shove their creed down my neck (regardless of what it is). Again, their rights to figuratively fling around their fist ends at my figurative nose.
As many of you know, I voted for Obama because he IMO was the best person for the job. Both White and Black people voted for him and if all of the white people did not then he would not be president. Many people forget this point and forget that his mother was white!
This whole thing just has me thinking.

On top of the badness of today, I found out that my mom's surgery did not go well (see blessings post)

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Crazy morning

Post by Kystar » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:43 pm

:GHug: :GHug: :GHug:

Sorry you had to deal with aggressive stupidity, dear.

:GHug: :GHug: :GHug:
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

white_harmony
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by white_harmony » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:50 pm

All I have to say is ... :roll: Some people ...

Sorry you had to put up with it. It was definitely unjustified and total crap. 'Tis the problem with working with the public. Everyone's getting angrier, want more for nothing, and simply assume that anyone behind a counter is a total loser who knows nothing at all ... It's a sad mentality that alot of people these days have.

:hug:
~ The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death ~

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:56 pm

Oh, how wonderful. :evil:

I'm sorry for your troubles, hun. I send virtual hot chocolate and fluffy kittens.

Are we even allowed to say anything in our defense?

Is it against the law to carry a tape recorder with you? I know it's legal as long as you state that they are being recorded. Maybe have a little sign stating such: Hopefully they'll be more respectful. Scare tactic, but hey, if it works...
Please Note:

You are being filmed on video and audio. Everything you say and do in the presence of this Clerk will be recorded. All records are official documentation and as such are legal evidence in a court of law.

Have a nice day.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:38 am

Sorry you had a bad day. Remember most people aren't awful, you just seem to run into the crazies when you work in any sort of public service.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

ImMappaM
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Libra

Post by ImMappaM » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:00 am

Namaste

Willow is right in saying that for the most part, people are good caring souls. In times of stress, and let's face it the economy is causing stress, a lot of people get testy. When they are paying for something, even when they have the money, they get testy too because the future isn't known, will they have a job tomarrow that will give them that next tank of gas? Who knows?! As for the insurgence of a reverse racism, it's so sad. I don't think it's that exactly but for those who have been called bad names that hurt, in order to hurt someone else they use the same tactic. It's time that all of it be put to rest and buried as deep as we can shovel it.

Brightest Blessings
~MappaM~
May your life not be measured by the breaths you take each moment but the moments that take your breath away.
Brightest Blessings
MappaM

Max
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Max » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:03 am

Hi Lotus, I work part time in retail so I completely sympathise with grumpy customers who 'know their rights' and are always wrong ](*,) . Although it always upsets me, I just tell myself that their rant at me prevented someone else getting grumped at. Big hug to you! x
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:15 pm

Ah, yes, the pitfalls of Customer Service.
Very difficult to not lose faith in humanity.
Thank you all for a sympathetic ear.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.