News... on all fronts!

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

News... on all fronts!

Post by Kitsune » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:22 pm

Or at least, News about me...

You may have noticed (or not... after all, your little fox could just be over thinking her importance again... a usual fox and owl trait :-) ) that I haven't been on much recently.

Don't worry too much if you have noticed. My computer cord broke down again, so I'm using my husbands. Due to the fact that I feel bad for stealing his computer time, I tend to jump on, read what all of you are saying and then just stay quiet... so until my computer's fixed (either by the purchase of a new cord, or by the purchase of a new computer), I probally won't be responding too often, though I do read every day or so.

In fact, the only website I have been responding on is my writer's forum and 2 year writing course. The writing course is great so far, (though it's only entering week 3 of the 104 week class tomorrow). I'm really enjoying it! I've deciding on a working title for this new WIP (work-in-progress) called Shifting Mists... What do you think? 8-) (I can always describe my book idea as well, but I'll wait to see if anyone's interested before I start boring all of you. :-" )

The class is great since we get to see everybody's work. In particular, of interest, is a gentleman who's doing a book with a brilliant idea. The premise is fairly simple as seen below.
Short Version - God returns to Earth only to be arrested and found to be insane.

Long Version - The God who returns is Thor and he is arrested when he kills a man he finds trying to rape a woman. Followers of Thor arrive at the small US town and set up a camp to be close to their God. While the town struggles with the new arrivals a psychologist works to make Thor healthy.
He's writing it as a serious look at what humanity would do if this happened, and what Thor would do if he came to earth now after all this time.

I was wondering if any of you know of any good site or books that I could suggest to help him give a more realistic portrayal of the Deity, Thor. He follows a Norse belief from what I can tell, but he did say that new imformation is always welcome.

As one last bit of news, I am taking a course in Insurance through my work... While it is one of the most boring classes I have ever attended I though you all might like to hear this little tidbit... :badgrin:

Apparently company's used to take out "life insurance" on their employees (in theory to pay for training new staff if something happened to their worker, in practice the money went to buy the exec's a larger pool, or cabin in the mountains). Apparently most company's stopped using this insurance once the name of the life insurance got out, and the bad press hit. [-X [-X [-X

It was called (and I kid you not!) "Dead Peasant's" Insurance!

If the Top Brass called their own workers by this term, I wonder just what they were calling us consumers! :axe: :finga: :axe: :butthead: :lol:

Anyways, though, that's all for me now... I'll jump back on tomorrow or Saturday to say hello again, and keep you up to date on what I'm up to. :hug:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Sapphire
Level 1
Level 1
Zodiac: Taurus

Re: News... on all fronts!

Post by Sapphire » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:13 am

Kitsune wrote:I was wondering if any of you know of any good site or books that I could suggest to help him give a more realistic portrayal of the Deity, Thor. He follows a Norse belief from what I can tell, but he did say that new imformation is always welcome.
I have a book called From Asgard to Valhalla, and I believe it lists all the figures and themes in Ancient Norse sagas - so that may possibly have an entry on Thor. I can't check for certain, sorry, as I'm at school and the book is at home :)

Good luck on the course, by the way. I am deeply envious!

~ Sapphy
Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens ~
Douglas Jerrold

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Re: News... on all fronts!

Post by Bandersnatch » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:37 am

I have certainly missed you Kitsune...and I like the book idea.

I've not been here much either as my internet has not been reliable...I blame it on Mercury being in Retrograde or maybe my internet provider should fix it.

Anyway I hope you get your computer soon.