Going back to school

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Going back to school

Post by FyreGarnet » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:49 am

I know I never thought I'd go back to school. So I'm sure you guys aren't expecting this. But I'm going back to get my Masters. I already have a B.S. in Chemistry and now I'm going back for Forensics with an emphasis in Toxicology. I'm so excited! As many of you know, I've wanted to do toxicology for a while. And over a year ago, I'd had an interview with the local coroner, and he suggested I check into the forensics program that his toxicologist and an older one were trying to put into effect at my school. Finally, everything just kinda smacked me upside the head and I found this program.

It will take me about 2 and a half years to complete, and I'm going to use student loans to pay for it. We are going to try and make it without me working, but if need be, I will find another job, besides the cookie lee thing. My husband even said he'd talk to his commanders and get another job if it helps me.

So here's hoping that everything goes well.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: Going back to school

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:20 am

Wow, congratulations! Good for you! I firmly believe that education is important, no matter what kind. Continual learning, yes?

Glad you are doing something you've always wanted to do!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:01 am

Yay Grad school!!!!!!!!

I totally support it! Go back, you will love it and hate it at the same time. And you will have to visit www.phdcomics.com to relieve stress. Couple words of advice from someone in their third year of their PhD (I am on a bunch of advisory comittees)

(1) If you are in a thesis oriented program, arrange a supervisor early and make sure it is someone who you can work with professionally, you don't want a friend, you want someone organised who will get in your reference letters as projects on the deadlines, ask around with upper year students
(2) Apply for every scholarship you can, exploit that fact that you are a woman or if you have any learning or other permanent disabilities. Tons of money out there for women in science
(3) School debt is good debt, it sucks but it is worthwhile debt, you will get a job that will pay it off quickly.
(4) Try not to do more than ten hours a week of Either TA'ing or RA'ing. If you get either job don't let them push you around.
(5) finally, great book, "finishing your thesis in 15 minutes a day" its an easy read that will help you come up with some great strategies.

I can't wait to hear how it all goes for you! :hug:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:33 pm

I so happy for you. You go girl!

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:33 pm

Wonderful news to hear. Do not be frightened about debt when going to school. Push for your future and you will get what you desire.

BB
Lotus :hug:
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.