Blogs

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Blogs

Post by FyreGarnet » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:53 pm

So do any of you write blogs? What are the topics and subjects you write about?

I've just started my one, due to a scholarship for school, and am wondering what you do with yours. How do you get a big following? I like having a blog, because I can write whatever I want.

Have you done stories online in blogs? Can that be done, or will your work be stolen? How does that work?

So let's hear what you have to say.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: Blogs

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:03 pm

I have a blog online documenting my raw food journey. I don't really know if I have any traffic or not. It used to be daily, but it's weekly now. I list recipes almost every post. :lol: I know one person has stated that they read my blog, but maybe that's it? lol
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:10 pm

Well, I got a free hit counter to see how many people have come. The only problem is, it counts how many times you view it as well, so it is slightly inflated. But so far it's three (from me) on mine. Kinda sad. Just wondering what other people are doing.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:54 am

I have a blog about life in grad school, mostly my friends read it but some strange incidences have happenned where I will meet people from Israel or something and htey have read it. I haven't posted lately, but I haven't really been inspired. I only write when I feel I have something funny to say.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:57 am

I try to keep a daily blog journal kind of thing...but the problem is I don't often feel like adding to it...for example...June to November is the spread of the last two posts.

Mostly my friends and a few family members (in-laws) read it.

I'm not really promoting anything in it...so I don't care if I don't have a larger reading.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Post by Kitsune » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:08 pm

I have a two blogs. One on covenspace, which died when covenspace did, and one where I generally talk about my quest to learn Japanese, and why I haven't been able to study as much as I said I'd be able to yet. :lol:

Unfortunately, it's on blogspot, and they give you nothing for finding out how much or if you have traffic, or anything.

I'd like to start up a blog somewhere that people would actually read it, or I guess, just with a better system, so I could check my stats.

Either way, since I only write in it about once a month, generally, I'm certain that I don't have much of a readership. :oops:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:40 pm

Mine is on Blogspot, and I found a way to get a counter there. One of my blogs now has it. That's how I know I have three visits (which are all mine).

If I remember how I did it, I'll send you a message.

FyreGarnet

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:28 pm

Oh, wow, Covenspace died before I got a chance to even use it. The irony...yeah.

I used to do greatestjournal and then it fell apart. Mostly to keep up with certain friends. I only communicate with a friend from Toledo, Ohio through the journal. No family members read any of my blogs because I do not tell them about them nor do I post pics of myself on the internet.
I am all about privacy.

Right now I am using livejournal because I like the astrology chats there and to keep in touch with the same friend from Toledo. I have gotten in some fights with people because of their writer's blocks. Sad really because I am entitled to my opinions.
I do not have very much readership because I had to make it 'friends only' with all of the stuff.

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:14 am

ok, so what kind of topics do you think make interesting blogs?

I thought about doing a bellydance one, but then I realized I don't know if there is enough to say about it. I love bellydance, but I really can't write that much about it. For me, teaching it is very oral and visual.

Also, someone suggested WOW, but what am I going to write about? "today I got my paladin up to level 72! I got a couple of neat spells, but most are just higher ranks of what I already had....."

Some write about money, but I'm certainly not an expert. The thing I know about that is it's hard to get and easy to spend.

I created one for my SCA persona, but I need to actually do research on that. Plus I'm waiting for the research department to help me with my name. I'm not able to get a lot of sources here in the Springs, so I went to a group that helps with that. But it takes them at least 3 months to get back to you, cuz there are so many people getting help from them and it takes time to do the research. So that one has one post, and it is just sitting there.

I thought about paganism, but I really don't know a lot myself. And I'm not sure if writing a blog would be helpful for anyone, including me. Plus, I have the PL as an outlet for paganism.

Thought about a diary, but who wants to read about my boring life. Maybe when I get into the field of forensics, I can talk about past cases, when they are done and cleared for such things. But right now, dunno that there is anything spectacular to write about.

Finally, I thought about posting my book that I'm writing, and working on it more. But I was worried about copyrights and all. I don't want it stolen and someone to make money off of my writings. I have no problem putting it on the web for free. I'm doing it as a hobby, so it can be free, IMO. But I don't want anyone making money off of my hard work.

So what are your opinions???

FyreGarnet

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:44 pm

How about one for business and your marketing strategies for Cookie Lee? Your progress and such. Not only will it keep you motivated to get out there to add to your blog, but you're promoting your business as well.
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:24 pm

If you are worried about other people copyrighting your work, I'd suggest printing it off and mailing your work back to you via registered mail. The nice thing about registered mail is that when you receive it back, it has the date and time on it. Automatic proof in a court that this is your work... Regardless of when you posted it on the web.

Just be certain to not open it, when you recieve it back. The envelope must remain closed forever for the law-validity part to remain active.

If you wish to publish the said work later, most publishers won't mind if you have up to 10% of the book online already... So long as 90% hasn't been put up, you're good!

Personally, I don't actually follow any blogs, so I really can't say what I'd find interesting.

Like I said, I use mine to grip, talk about new japanese programs out, my religion and my life... basically, whenever I decide I want to talk about something.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17

Post by FyreGarnet » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:05 pm

So I started another blog. I think I finally found a topic that I'm passionate about: Dreams. As many of you know, I'm very into dreams. So I thought I'd write a blog about it and the study of dreams. It's at http://oneiromancy-dreams.blogspot.com

FyreGarnet

Kystar
Level 57
Level 57
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by Kystar » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:13 pm

You can register your website under a Creative Commons License which works as a copyright for what's on the site.

I'm not sure how, but just google search "Creative Commons Copyright" and see what you find.
You say "Witch" like it's a bad thing!

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:27 am

Very cool idea for a blog I think. When my comp is back up and running I'll probally start following it (blogspot... is that the gmail offered one? I can never rememeber!).

I have a new live journal blog up as well... But it's been pretty much dead since the computer cord died. I was (and will be) using it to document my writing experiences more than anything else.

Dreams... Definately a great topic!

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:26 pm

I think any topic for a blog is fine as long as you keep it somewht narrow, no one can be all things to everyone.

www.shellybellysbrain.blogspot.com is aimed completely at grad students and academics, and my family, sot hey can see where I am in my thesis (and therefore bug me less).

a dream blog eh? I think that's a neat idea.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)