Word Counts anybody?

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70
Zodiac: Capricorn

Word Counts anybody?

Post by Kitsune » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:28 am

For those few who are doing Nanowrimo, I was just wondering... after the first 10 days of NaNo, where are you?

You should reach 18,337 today if you've been following the 1,667 words per day that the site suggests.

I know that many of you set your own goals though, or don't set a goal, and just try to write...

So, how is your writing going? What's your total word count, specific goal, or however you're counting your progress (chapters, scenes, amount of times you write the word "Salamander" :lol:, you know, however you keep yourself on track.)

I'm personally trying to finish writing a book I began writing in June and my goal was to add at least another 50,000 words to my novel before the end of November. Despite minor set-backs (counted as nearly three days when my total words written was under 1,000/day) my word count as of Nov.10 was 20,824 (I should also add, I'm not counting names of chapters in that total. I specify since I know that Chris Batey says you can count them if you wish). I'm putting in past tense, because after I finish writing this post, I'm going back to writing again... :roll: ](*,) :lol:

So, how are you guys all doing? Like I said, just list what your goal was, and how far along you're gotten... Remember, even a single chapter for an entire month is a worthy goal, especially for those of us with jobs/kids/families, and all that other stuff that demands our time.
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

http://www.bamatthews.comThe Writings and Musings of B.A. Matthews

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Re: Word Counts anybody?

Post by Kitsune » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:41 pm

Well, I realize that I may have gotten no responses on here, but I want to keep you all up to date on my progress at least.

Last night, just before midnight on November 21, 2008, I succeeded in adding 50,000 words of prose to my existing novel. And I'm not quite done yet. Probally another 15,000 to 20,000 to go before the first draft is completely finished.

You have no idea how pleased I am!

So, although I'm not back to checking the boards more than twice a week yet, I have finished. Now I just need to see if I can finish off the rough draft before the end of November! :lol: \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Well, time to go back to writing! outtahere:
Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational therapy for lunatics who think they're God, and an excellent argument for Polytheism. -S.M. Stirling

Lotus
Level 27
Level 27
Zodiac: Aries

Post by Lotus » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:11 pm

I am still reading up on your progress. Sometimes too busy to post. :-D

BB
Lotus
I have not been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:59 am

Ditto,

good for you challenging yourself. What is your word count in pages if I might ask?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:15 pm

Good Question Willow. I hadn't actually bothered to count up how many pages I'd done. I had figured that I was probally in the 40 - 60 pages area, but since I didn't know exactly how many, I opened up each chapter and added up the page totals. Apparently, I was way off in my little mental calculation.

Apparently, My page count total for the month is 103 pages, with my total count coming in at 167 if I add in the pages of story I did in the previous months. I also have about 5 additional pages of pure notes. Things like character names, who's related to who, how magic works, place names, what races there are, and I'm going to be adding a few pages on the myths mentioned in my novel, as well, most likely during December. :-D

I did find out that a scene I had thought I'd already finished before November isn't finished yet though. :-( So, my earlier expected word count before I'm finished was a bit off. It will probally end up being 25,000 - 35,000 additional words. :lol:

However, even with that unexpected delay, I should still be finished by the Yule, and certainly before January rolls around. Then I can put this novel away until NaNoEdMo... National Novel Editing Month. They challange you to do 50 hours of editing during the month of March. :lol: Yep, I'll be there, and I'll probally even give NaNoPubMo (National Novel Publishing Month) a try as well. At least for the first year, why not.

I would like to add that strangely enough, even if I wasn't really enjoying my novel, I've really learned a lot from this month. Whether it's what I'm good at writing (scenes that focus on character interaction) or things I need to work on (Battle scenes, for one) I've learned a lot about my own writing style and in addition to that how and when I write best (for instance, when I'm tired and writing a touch scene, I came up with the worst line in the world. "I had to find a way to get Sumae out of the Life-Draining Skeletal Area." :lol: :lol: :lol: Don't worry, this line has already disappeared to the edits file and been deleted..)

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:30 pm

Hey, well I will need a brain break, so I can read it over sometime if you like. I want to see how other aspiring writers look during the process.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:34 pm

Thank you. Before I send it into the the publishers, and after the editing process, I'll probally be looking for one or two people who can actually give me some advice on further editing my work! I'll keep you in mind when I get to that point!

You do like silly Romantic/Fantasy right? :lol:

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:41 am

OMG, I love it. Anything that takes my mind off school (I am doing a lot of work on topics like the holocaust and residential schools right now, not happy topics).

The more fantastical the better!
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:06 pm

Well, I finished the month at a total word count of 67,306 words.

And to top off my epic win, I came in with one of the top 10 totals for the month in Calgary, and when I wrote SM Stirling, my favourite author, and told him that I was "this close" to having an entire rough draft finished (actually the point was to ask about the old publisher vs. agent war), he wrote me back in under an hour and congratulated me personally, on getting further than 90% of the population that has ever said, "You know, I think I'd like to write a book."

That only thing that could have bowled me over further would have been if he'd asked to see it. He didn't, but there's always hoping right? :lol:

I'm exhasted, but on top of the moon right now!

FyreGarnet
Level 17
Level 17
Zodiac: Aquarius

Post by FyreGarnet » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:51 pm

Congrats. And you never know, he might just ask when he has more time.

FyreGarnet
The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs want to smell everyone's rear and cats want every one to smell THEIR rear - unknown

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:52 am

That is awesome! Congrats!

I met Guy Gavriel Kay and couldn't speak, I am glad you can even talk to the author you love.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Kitsune
Level 70
Level 70

Post by Kitsune » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:17 pm

Actually, SM Stirling is great that way. The truth is, he wrote an article on Witchvox about Dies the Fire, which is how I heard about it. After buying it, just a day or so later (what can I say, I was actually looking for books to buy about Paganism or the supernatural, and found one that had a pagan as a main character... It was fated!), I wrote him, just to say that I loved his book.

He wrote me back, wished me a happy Ludnasah (sp? I know it's wrong... ](*,) ), and I was really pleased. Then I joined Facebook, and about two months after that, I checked my emails again to see who of my friends were on facebook, and it added him as a friend. Nowadays, our main communication is him writing me to tell me when his next book is coming out. :lol:

It really makes a girl feel special when their favourite author takes 1 minute out of his schedule, simply to send you a personalized facebook message to give you a heads up on his newest novel release. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/