Back again...

Rumor, gossip, nonsense... all the things we love. This area is auto-pruned for topics over 21 days.
underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Back again...

Post by underlilith » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:28 am

well. i'm "back" again. more accurately, i'm not in as intense training as i used to be. for those of you who are lost (probably all of you #-o ). I'm in the United States Marine Corps, and we usually don't get those things that you call "breaks" lol. but just saying hi to everybody. and i like the new layout of the site. :-D
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Crazy Healer Lady
Zodiac: Libra

Re: Back again...

Post by Crazy Healer Lady » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:51 am

Welcome back!

Wow, Ze Librrraree does have powers!
Crazy Healer Lady
Health and happiness to you!

The purpose of a relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness. -CWG

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:30 pm

welcome back!

Manifest manifest manifest...more people will return!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:26 pm

Breaks? That's what you call five minutes where you can take your boots off and change your socks right?

In the Army, we had 8 minutes. ;)

Welcome back.
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

underlilith
Level 8
Level 8

Post by underlilith » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:59 pm

davisherm wrote:Breaks? That's what you call five minutes where you can take your boots off and change your socks right?

In the Army, we had 8 minutes. ;)

Welcome back.
5 minutes was a long break ;)

but thanks to all your welcomes. (i think that's a sentence #-o :lol: )

I finally get some weekend liberty and good stuff like that... so i should be good to go until i get to my actual station... then it depends from there... lol. nothing is certain in the marine corps.. except that we have the OLDEST gear (backpacks, helmets, etc.) to train with! I swear... some of this stuff had to be from before Vietnam... lol
"What is a god but a man who weilds the power of chaos?" - Peter Carroll

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:14 am

LOL, you have obviously never been in the Canadian military, you guys send us your stuff when you are done with it.

I have been up in hercs where there is more duct tape than original material.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

forgotten oceans
Level 17
Level 17

Post by forgotten oceans » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:34 am

Welcome back!!

Willow, every one knows the Canadian army's only for boarder patrol to keep us evil Americans out of your fine country. ;)
Maybe now you're starting to understand that while I may have been born predispositioned to be pretty batty, my parents saw to it that it was a certainty and completely unavoidable. -Me

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:06 am

LOL, you missed the NBC special where people walked right accross the prairies from Saskatchewan to the states in order to prove how dangerous our Canadian borders are.

Our Prime ministers response, well we only care about what goes in, not what goes out. :-"
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

davisherm
Zodiac: Aries

Post by davisherm » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:14 am

Border crossings are ridiculous. A number of years ago, I was visiting friends in Buffalo. They wanted to cross the border, as the legal drinking age was 19 there and not all of us were of age in the states. What can I say? We were young and dumb and drinking for no reason other than to drink was fun.

Well, we parked at the border and were planning on walking the bridge. The guards stopped us and began asking us if we were carrying weapons. It was august and it was in the high 90's. I don't know what that is in Celsius, for you crazy progressive types. You probably use the metric system too! So it was hot. Dang hot. We were all in shorts and most of the girls were wearing some pretty lightweight stuff. We were all traveling light, ID's and debit cards. None of the girls even had bags with them. It would have been a little hard to hide anything smaller than a knife, so we laughed and said no. This was obviously the wrong answer and we got pulled to the side and questioned one by one. They singled out the smallest girl there for some reason and kept after her about weapons or illicit substances, threatening to frisk her. Honestly, I think the guys were just trying to find an excuse to feel up a good looking girl, which is a shocking abuse of authority.

I flashed my military ID and told them that the Army vouched for anybody with me and they could really stop trying to lay hands on my friends. I was kind of out of line for that, but at the time (and to this day) I felt that so were the border guards.

We just wanted to get a little drunk. Not exactly a threat to any body's national security.

I got a hard look from the guy who appeared to be in charge and I gave one right back. I was a pretty mean kid, I guess. They let us go without any further complaint.

On the way back over, we had no trouble whatsoever.

PS. To all you Canadians, we had a great time in your country. Thank you for allowing a bunch of idiot college students and one soldier to have a great night north of the border!
"I just want to play on my Panpipes..." Cake

Bandersnatch
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bandersnatch » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:59 am

Speaking for this Canadian...glad you had a good time. I have always enjoyed visiting with our neighbors to the south. \:D/ \:D/

And you are right about the border guards. Some of them are absolute jerks. I work with some of them and a few are a lot of fun and others are on a power trip. If you get the wrong one at the border they will make life very difficult just for fun.

Willow
Level 86
Level 86

Post by Willow » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:39 pm

Ahh yes border guards, on the one hand I sympathise because they are handed crazy rules that change each day and get threatened and harrassed by tons of idiots, but on the other hand,a lot of border guards are university students tryigt o make a few dollars and abusing their power. There have beena few CBC exposes here critiquing the border guards.
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)